- Vikram Sarabhai: Honoured by Google Doodle, Know everything about him
- Google Doodle of Vikram Sarabhai has been illustrated by Mumbai-based guest artist Pavan Rajurkar. Dr Vikram Sarabhai is also known as the father of the Indian space programme
- Google has paid its tribute to the founder of ISRO Vikram Sarabhai by a Google Doodle. Google is celebrating the 100th birth anniversary of award-winning Indian physicist, industrialist, and innovator Vikram Sarabhai. Dr. Vikram Sarabhai is also known as the father of Indian space programme as he established the Indian National Committee for Space Research which was later renamed as ISRO. Sarabhai’s Google Doodle has been illustrated by Mumbai-based guest artist Pavan Rajurkar.
- Third International EV Conclave held in Manesar
- The third International Electric Vehicle Conclave was held at the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) in Manesar, Haryana.
- The aim of the Conclave was to create a knowledge sharing platform in the automotive sector. It also ensured the flow of information at all levels in the automotive sector.
- Organised by: The conclave was organized by ICAT in association with India Energy Storage Alliance.
Banking & Finance
- MSCI added HDFC Life Insurance to its Global Standard Index
- MSCI Inc( Morgan Stanley Capital International), One of the world’s biggest index compilers, has added HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd. to its Global Standard Index and removed Union Bank of India(UBI) from its India Smallcap Index. The changes in the MSCI Index will be implemented as of the closing hours of August 27, 2019.
♦After the announcement made by the MSCI, the stocks of HDFC Life gained more than 5 % intraday to hit a record high of Rs 545& the shares of Union Bank corrected 2 % at Rs 62.40.
♦MSCI had removed 10 stocks in May 2019, including RCom, RPower and Asahi India Glass from its Smallcap index and added 12 including AstraZeneca Pharma, Balrampur Chini, BEML, Chalet Hotels, Essel Propack, L&T Technologies, Linde India, Maharashtra Scooters, OIL India, TCNS Clothing and Ujjivan Financial.
- Bajrang Punia wins gold in 65kg at Tbilisi Grand Prix 2019
- Indian Wrestler Bajrang Punia won gold in 65kg men’s freestyle competition at Tbilisi Grand Prix 2019against Iran’s Peiman Bibyani by 2-0. The event was held at the New Sports Palace, Georgia and was organised by the Georgian Wrestling Federation.
- It is the fourth gold medal for Punia after winning gold at Dan Kolov, Asian Championship and Ali Aliev tournament.
- Cricket Australia unveils new transgender inclusive policy
- Cricket Australia announced a new transgender-inclusive policy. This policy will enable transgender players to play the game of cricket at the highest levels.
- The decision aligns in accordance with the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) gender recognition policy and gender diversity guidelines.
- The policy sets out a limit for transgender and gender-diverse players who want to play for state and national women’s teams.
Appointment & Resignation
- Sonia Gandhi chosen as Interim Chief of Congress
- The Congress Working Committee (CWC), the highest decision-making body of the party, selected Sonia Gandhi, aged 72, as interim president of the Congress party.
- She had held the post of Congress President between 1998 and 2017. She succeeds Rahul Gandhi.
Award & Honors
- 66th National film awards 2019 announced
- 66th National Film Awards 2019: Ayushmann Khurrana and Vicky Kaushal shared the Best Actor national film award and Uri Director Aditya Dhar won the Best Director award.
- 66th National Film Awards 2019: The 66th national film awards were announced on August 9, 2019 after a delay of 3 months. Uri Director Aditya Dhar won the national film award for Best Director and Ayushmann Khurrana and Vicky Kaushal shared the Best Actor award for their performances in Andhadhun and Uri respectively. Andhadhun won the national film award for Best Hindi Film, Padman won the Best Film on Social Issues award and Badhaai Ho won the Best Popular Film award.
- The announcement of the 66th national film awards was held at Shastri Bhawan in New Delhi. The delay in the announcement of the national awards 2019 was due to the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections. The national awards were announced after the jury members submitted their report to I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar with their final recommendations in various categories.
- The national film awards are announced every year in April and the awards conferral ceremony is generally held in May but it was delayed this year due to the elections. In 2018, Bollywood veterans Sridevi and Vinod Khanna were conferred the national film award posthumously.
- BAFTA LA to honour Steve Coogan with Charlie Chaplin Award
- Actor Steve Coogan won with the Charlie Chaplin Award by the British Academy’s Los Angeles branch.
- He will receive the honor during the 2019 Britannia Awards.
- The Charlie Chaplin Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy recognizes the talents whose popularity and cultural impact exemplifies the uniquely transcendent quality of excellent comedy.
- 2019 Britania Awards Britannia Awards are presented by BAFTA Los Angeles.
Science, Space & Technology
- Huawei launches its own Operating System Harmony OS
- Huawei Technologies launched its own Operating System (OS) named HongMengOS in Chinese/ HarmonyOS in English. The first version of the OS will be launched later in 2019 in its smart screen products. It is a part of Huawei’s play in the Internet of Things (IoT).
♦It can be used across different devices from smartphones to smart speakers and even sensors.
♦Over the next three years, the OS will be used in other devices, including wearables and car head units.
About Huawei Technologies:
♦ Headquarters: Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
♦ CEO: Richard Yu
- Researchers introduce Selfie video to measure Blood Pressure
- Researchers in Canada and China developed a technology called transdermal optical imaging (TOI). The technology works by taking into account the fact the facial skin is translucent.
- The Optical sensors on smartphones that are used can capture red light reflected from hemoglobin under the skin.
- This allows TOI to visualize and measure changes in blood flow. The technology gives 95% accuracy. The technology needs extra research to make it more accurate.
- Freedom Fighter Dayanidhi Nayak passed away at Panimora, Odisha
- Renowned freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak, aged 95, passed away after undergoing treatment at a private hospital for old age-related ailments at Panimora village, Bargarh, Odisha.
- He had struggled against the British Government during the Quit India movement (8 August 1942). He was also jailed for 9 months and he was one of the 32 freedom fighters from Panimora.