- Ministry of Information & Broadcasting launched e-Rozgar Samachar to spread awareness about job opportunities
- Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the e-version of Rozgar Samachar with a view to make aspirants aware of job opportunities in government sector including public sector enterprises. The journal has been priced at 75% of the cost of its print version and is available for an annual subscription fee of Rs. 400.
♦It can be accessed through the website www.employmentnews.gov.in
♦Employment News provides editorial content on socio-economic issues and career guidance that helps youth in broadening their horizons.
About Rozgar Samachar:
♦It is the corresponding version of Employment News (English). Employment News is the flagship weekly job journal from Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India. It was launched in 1976. The journal is published in English(Employment News), Hindi (Rozgar Samachar) and Urdu (Rozgar Samachar) and has a circulation of over one lakh copies per week. It is available through out India every Saturday.
- Udaipur set to host India’s largest education Brainstorm
- The third edition of India’s largest education brainstorming event, the ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) will be held on August 09 and 10 in Udaipur, Rajasthan
- The theme for this year’s fest is ‘Education for Sustainability: Moving on from conformity to creativity’
- Lakshyaraj Singh Mewar of Udaipur Royalty is the patron of this year’s edition.
- SGEF will also be recognizing individuals and organizations excelling at innovation in the field of Education by assisting the industry with trendsetting solutions and best practices.
- Andhra government set to launch Navodayam scheme for MSME loan restructuring
- Andhra Pradesh government is to launch Navodayam, a complete outreach programme for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the state, with a one-time restructuring of loans that will provide the required lifeline for small industrial units.
- The state government has earmarked Rs. 50 crore in the 2019-20 budgets for rejuvenation of MSMEs
- Under Navodayam, a special cell is being created at each District Industries Centre, headed by the General Manager, to provide handholding support to all restructured MSMEs for six months to stabilize the accounts.
- About 86,000 MSMEs in the state have been identified for restructuring under Navodayam with an outlay of Rs. 3,900 crore
- MoU between Uttar Pradesh and Netherlands extended
- The Uttar Pradesh (UP) government has extended the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Netherlands for another 5 years till 2024.
♦The MoU was signed by Netherlands ambassador to India, Marten vand den Berg and indian officials in presence of Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath.
♦Corporation and exchange of knowledge and techniques in the fields of solid waste management.
♦Water management including restoration of water bodies and mobility planning.
♦Cooperation in the field of transport management, energy efficiency, sewerage and effluent treatment, agriculture, dairy and horticulture.
♦Development of smart cities in UP, cultural heritage and cycle track infrastructure development in various cities of the state.
- India-Bangladesh home minister-level talks held
- Union Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah and Home Minister of Bangladesh Asaduzzaman Khan hold home minister-level talks in New Delhi.
- Ministers expressed that countries are working closer than ever before in every sector, including security and border management.
- Amit Shah expressed India’s concern about the illicit movement of people across the border, with a view to finding a solution to this problem especially in North East India.
- Saudi Arabia sacked doctors with Pakistani MS/MD degrees
- Pakistan’s MS/MD postgraduate programme is no more valid in UAS as the government has made Pakistani doctors no longer eligible to work in the country.
- It has left hundreds of highly qualified Pakistani doctors jobless. The Saudi health ministry said that Pakistan’s MS and MD programmes lacked structured training procedure.
- After Saudi Arabia’s decision, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain followed the same.
- Pakistan suspends bilateral trade with India
- The Pakistan National Security Council (NSC), chaired by the Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan decided to downgrade diplomatic ties with India and suspend bilateral trade, after India decided to revoke Article 370 of the Constitution. Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Ajay Bisaria will be sent back to India.
♦Pakistan also suspended the Samjhauta Express Train Service.
♦The train service was started on July 22, 1976 under the Simla Agreement that settled the 1971 war between the two nations.
♦It was also suspended in 2019 due to escalating tensions between the countries. But, the service was resumed later.
♦ Currency: Pakistani rupee
♦ Capital: Islamabad
♦ President: Arif Alvi
Banking & Finance
- SBI home loan interest rates cut by 15 bps across all tenors from August 10
- State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest lender reduced home loan rates by 15 basis points after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut its key repo rate for the fourth time this year.
- The changes in the interest rates effect from August 10, 2019
- The revised one-year MCLR stands at 8.25% per annum down from 8.40% earlier
- The two-year MCLR comes down to 8.35% per annum, from 8.50% annum, while rates for three-years has been cut to 8.45%.
- RBI allows round-the-clock fund transfers under NEFT from December
- RBI has decided to allow round-the-clock fund transfers through NEFT from December this year in order to promote digital transactions
- Currently, the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) operated by the RBI as a retail payment system is available for customers from 8 am to 7 pm on all working days with the exception of second and fourth Saturdays of a month
- As mentioned in the Payment System Vision Document 2021, the Reserve Bank will make available the NEFT system on a 24×7 basis from December 2019
- There is no cap on the minimum and the maximum amount for NEFT
- Central bank to set up central registry for tracking frauds in payment systems
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has proposed to set up a central payment fraud registry, which will monitor digital payment frauds in real-time
- At present, banks report all frauds in the system to the central fraud monitoring cell of the RBI.
- The central bank stated that the digital payment ecosystem making substantial progress in terms of growth of the payment infrastructure, as well as volume and value of digital payment transactions and fraud risk monitoring
- The aggregated fraud data will be published to educate customers on emerging risks.
- The central bank will issue a detailed framework in this regard by end of October.
- LIC launched new term insurance plan called ‘Jeevan Amar’
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India has launched a new term insurance plan called ‘Jeevan Amar’.
- ‘Jeevan Amar’ insurance plan is not a market-linked plan. The policyholder cannot claim the amount on maturity. The nominee will receive the death claim in case of demise of the life assured during the term of the policy.
- The plan available for sale offline, offers flexibility to choose from two death cover options like level sum assured and increasing sum assured
- The minimum sum assured under the plan is 25 lakh with no maximum limit.
- The plan is available for ages 18-65 years with the maximum age maturity at 80 years offering policy terms from 10 years to a maximum of 40 years
Business & Economy
- Australian Super and Ontario Teachers’ to invest $2 bn in India’s NIIF
- AustralianSuper and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (Ontario Teachers)’, have each signed agreements with the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India for investments of up to $1 billion each in NIIF’s Master Fund.
- AustralianSuper is one of Australia’s largest superannuation fund and ‘Ontario Teachers’ one of Canada’s largest single-profession pension plans
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund is India’s first sovereign wealth fund that was set up by the Government of India in February 2015
- The agreements include commitments of $250 million each in the Master Fund and co-investment rights of up to $750 million each in future opportunities alongside the fund.
- The Master Fund has a tenure of 15 years and is denominated in Indian rupees to suit the requirements of the infrastructure sector.
- Gabriel Jesus receives two-months international ban
- A footballer of Brazil’s team Gabriel Jesus has been banned from international football for two months for improper conduct in last month’s Copa America final.
- Jesus was dismissed in the 70th minute of Brazil’s title-clinching 3-1 victory over Peru at Rio’s Maracana stadium after referee Roberto Tobar showed him a second yellow card for a high tackle on Carlos Zambrano.
- The Brazilian Football Confederation was also fined 15,000 dollars for a disciplinary infraction, the details of which were not disclosed.
- Mary Kom and Lovlina Borgohain selected for world boxing Championship
- Six-time world champion M C Mary Kom and Lovlina Borgohain have been selected for the upcoming women’s world boxing championships
- The world boxing championships are scheduled from October 3 to 13 in Russia
- The 36-year-old Mary Kom, who has already claimed two gold medals this year (India Open and a recent tournament in Indonesia), has been selected in the 51kg category.
- While World and Asian bronze-medallist Borgohain will be competing in the 69kg category
- South Africa’s Colin Ackermann becomes the first bowler to get 7 wickets in T-20
- South African spinner Colin Ackermann claimed a new Twenty20 world record when he took seven wickets for just 18 runs in an English county match.
- Malaysian bowler Arul Suppiah held the previous world record when he claimed 6-5 for Somerset against Glamorgan in 2011
Award & Honors
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee to be conferred with Bharat Ratna award
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee, will be honoured with India’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna by President Ram Nath Kovind
- The 83-year-old served as India’s 13th President from 2012-2017
- Mukherjee also served as the Union Finance Minister from 2009 to 2012.
- Along with Pranab Mukherjee, Late Assamese singer Shri Bhupen Hazarika and social activist Late Shri Nanaji Deshmukh will be conferred with the Bharat Ratna, posthumously
Appointments & Resignation
- SBI’s MD Dinesh Kumar Khara got an extension by 2 years after a review of his performance
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, Government of India has extended the tenure of State Bank of India(SBI) Managing Director (MD)Dinesh Kumar Khara by another 2 years with effect from August 9, 2019, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
♦He was appointed Managing Director of State Bank of India (SBI) for a period of three years on August 10, 2016. He holds a Board level position in supervising the businesses of SBI’s nonbanking subsidiaries, which are engaged in diverse financial activities such as Asset Management, Life Insurance, General Insurance, Custodial Services, Primary Dealership,.etc.
♦In 1984, he joined SBI as Probationary Officer (PO) and has over 33 years of experience in all sides of Commercial banking such as Retail Credit, deposit mobilization, international banking operations, branch management, etc.
♦Khara has worked in SBI’s Chicago office and was associated with the overseas acquisition of Indian Ocean International Bank Mauritius (now SBI Mauritius) during his stint in Overseas Expansion wing of International Banking Group. He also worked as the MD&CEO of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Limited (SBIMF).
- 5 members from RS elected unopposed to office of profit panel of the parliamentary joint committee
- Five Rajya Sabha members include Mahesh Poddar (BJP), K Keshava Rao (TRS), Vijayasai Reddy (YSRCP), Dola Sen (TMC) and Sasmit Patra (BJD) have been elected unopposed to the parliamentary joint committee on office of profit. The chairman of the committee is yet to be nominated. while Rakesh Sinha , BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) MP(member of parliament)has been nominated as a member of the Press Council of India(PCI)by Rajya Sabha chairman M Venkaiah Naidu.
♦About JPC: This has 10 Lok Sabha Members & 5 members will be from Rajya Sabha and total member of JPC will be 15.
♦Sonal Mansingh (Indian classical dancer-(nominated) has been elected unopposed to the Central Advisory Committee(CAC) for the National Cadet Corps(NCC), while Congress MP M V Rajeev Gowda made it to National Institute of Mental Health and Nero-Sciences (NIMHANS), Bengaluru &JDU MP Kahkashan Perween (JDU) has been nominated to the Haj Committee of India.
- Book ‘Oru Manidhan Oru Iyakkam Kalaignar Mu. Karunanidhi’ released
- The book titled ‘Oru Manidhan Oru Iyakkam Kalaignar Mu. Karunanidhi’ in Tamil language which depicts the life and work of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (Dravidian Progressive Conference) (DMK) leader Late M Karunanidhi , the former Tamil Nadu chief minister, was launched by K Veeramani, president of Dravidar Kazhagam in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The book, first in tamil, is published by Frontline, a publication of The Hindu group. Frontline is commemorating 35 years in journalism.
- The book includes all the articles published in the special issue – ‘A Man and a Movement,’ which was brought out in August 2018, as a tribute to M Karunanidhi after his demise.
- It was launched one day before the first death anniversary of Late M Karunanidhi.
Science, Space & Technology
- SpaceX launched Falcon 9 loaded with Israel’s AMOS-17
- Falcon 9 was launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Israel’s satellite Amos-17 is set to replace Amos-5 satellite launched in 2011.
- This satellite has been built by Boeing and it will provide Ka, Ku and C-band signal transmissions. Also, it will expand Israeli communications satellite operator Spacecom’s coverage in Africa, the Middle East and Europe.
- Communication with Amos-5 was lost in 2015. New Satellite will help Israel to build better communication supplies.
- Nation observes 77th anniversary of Quit India movement
- The 77th anniversary of the August Kranti Din or Quit India movement observed across the india on August 8
- Quit India movement is considered as one of the important milestones in the history of freedom struggle of our country.
- 8th August 1942 Mahatma Gandhi launched the Quit India Movement at the session of the All-India Congress Committee in Mumbai.