- 15-km long national flag unfurled in Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
- Thousands of students and members of several social organisations unfurled a 15-km long national flag by forming a human chain in Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- The event, organised by VasudhaivKutumbakam Foundation, entered the Champions Book of World Records (for the longest tricolour)
- 2 day exhibition on DAE Technologies inaugurated in New Delhi
- A two day exhibition on DAE spinoff Technologies for non-power applications organised by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), was inaugurated by Shri Rakesh Gupta, chairman of UPSC (Union Public Service Commision) at New MotiBagh recreation club, New Delhi.
♦The technologies covered by BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre), Raja Ramanna centre for advanced technology, Indore and other units of DAE were exhibited.
♦Equipment exhibited: the equipment of agriculture, water, health and environment were kept for display. In health, there were 3 segments exhibited. They are I. Development of Radio Pharmaceuticals, ii. Production & distribution and finally its implementation for diagnosis and therapeutic application.
♦The rural technologies were made available for the rural youth through ‘AKRUTI’ (Advanced Rural Technology Implementation Initiative) programme.
♦In environment category, Nisargruna plant was kept for display which is a bio methanization plant.
♦Members present: The exhibition was viewed by secretary of DAE, Dr. K.N Vyas. Former secretaries of DAE, Dr. Anil Kakodkar, Dr M.R. Srinivasan were also present.
- CRPF’s ‘Madadgaar’ helpline in Kashmir
- The ‘madadgaar’ helpline posted a message on Twitter, saying people can call on its mobile number 9469793260 “for any assistance or updates”.
- Standard official number 14111 is not working due to the communication clampdown in the Kashmir Valley.
- According to the various reports, CRPF’s helpline will also share with the callers the active contact numbers of local police stations so that people can further get in touch with them.
- Haryana government to roll out Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana from Aug 21
- Haryana Government announced the roll-out of ‘Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojna’ which will provide social security to families. Under the scheme, Rs 6000 per year will be given to each eligible family.
- The scheme, which will be launched on August 21, will provide social security to people in the form of life insurance, accidental insurance and pensionary benefits.
- The eligibility for the scheme is for families having an annual income less than Rs 1,80,000 or a total landholding of fewer than two hectares.
- Under the scheme, each beneficiary family will be entitled to get Rs 500 per month.
- Life Insurance of at least one family member. The cover provided is for an amount of two lakh in case of death of the beneficiary. Premium of Rs 330 per year would be deducted from that Rs 500 per month amount provided.
- Additionally, an amount of Rs 12 per annum would be paid on account of Accidental Insurance of at least one family member under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana.
- A contribution from Rs 55 to 200 per month will be paid automatically from the bank account as a premium for providing pension to the beneficiary under Pradhan Mantri Shram Maan-Dhan Yojana. On attainment of the age of 60 years, the pension will be given at the rate of Rs 3,000 per month.
- India in US list of major illegal drug producing, transit countries
- US President Donald Trump has designated India among the over 20 major drug transit or illicit drug producing countries.
- Trump said that a country’s presence on the list is not necessarily a reflection of its government’s counter-narcotic efforts or level of cooperation with the US.
- The countries identified in the list are Afghanistan, The Bahamas, Belize, Bolivia, Burma, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Panama, Peru and Venezuela.
Business & Economy
- Air India launches ‘Discover India’ scheme
- Air India introduced a ‘Discover India’ scheme valid for sale and travel up to March 31, 2020.
- The scheme is rolled out to meet the growing demand of passengers to fly to different places of tourist and religious interest within the country by the Indian diaspora and foreign tourists.
- The scheme has various benefits like cheaper flight tickets for Non-Resident Indians (NRI)s, Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and Foreign nationals. Re-booking, which is permitted without penalty till 4 hours prior to scheduled departure. It also provides free baggage related allowance.
- Saudi’s ARAMCO will buy 20% of RIL’s oil and chemical business for $15 bn
- On August 12,2019, In the 42nd Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Reliance Industries Ltd(RIL), its Chairman &MD(managing director) Mukesh Ambani stated that Saudi Arabia’s most profitable oil company Saudi Aramco will buy 20 % stake of RIL’s oil and chemicals business for about $15 billion (approximately Rs 1.06 lakh crore), which will be one of the biggest FDI(foreign direct investment) deal in the country.
- The flagship deal is registered an enterprise value of $75 billion (around Rs 5,32,466 crore). The deal is subject to regulatory approvals.
- As part of the deal, Aramco will supply 700,000 barrels per day on a long-term basis of crude oil to Reliance’s twin refineries(Reliance & petrochemical complex) at Jamnagar in Gujarat, which has the total capacity of 68.2 million tonnes per annum.
- Reliance Jio and Microsoft tied up to accelerate digital transformation in India
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, and Microsoft Corporationannounced a 10 year long-term strategic relationship to accelerate the digital transformation of Indian economy and society.
♦The objective of the partnership is to increase the adoption of leading technologies like data analytics, Artificial Intelligence (AI), cognitive services, blockchain, Internet of Things (IoT), and edge computing among small and medium enterprises to make them ready to compete and grow.
♦It will help to accelerate technology-led GDP (Gross Domestic Product) growth in India and drive adoption of next-gen technology solutions at scale.
♦The combination of Jio’s leading connectivity and digital solutions with Azure, Azure AI and Office 365 will result in powerful tools and platforms.
♦The initial two data centres, which will be set up by Jio in the states of Gujarat and Maharashtra, can house IT (Information technology) equipment consuming up to 7.5 MW (Megawatt) of power.
- Sourabh Verma wins Hyderabad Open title
- Sourabh Verma clinched the Men’s Singles title in the Hyderabad Open.
- The 26-year-old Sourabh from Madhya Pradesh had won the Slovenian International in May this year. He had also won two Super 100 titles at the Dutch Open and Russian Open last year.
- Top seeds Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy, however, finished runners up in women’s doubles.
- Rafael Nadalwins 35th ATP Masters 1000 Title at Montreal Open 2019
- Rafael Nadal defeated Medvedev 6-3, 6-0 to win his fifth title at the ATP Montreal Masters
- It was his 35th Masters 1000 title
- Nadal won his first Canadian title in 2005 and also repeated in 2008, 2013 and 2018
- Chennai Lions beat Dabang Delhi to win the Ultimate Table Tennis (UTT) title
- Chennai Lions defeat Dabang Delhi to clinch the Ultimate Table Tennis crown
- In the men’s singles Tiago Apolonia of Portuguese beat G. Sathiyan
- Women’s Singles: Petrissa Solja beat Bernadette Szocs
- Bulgarian Junior International Championship 2019: Indian junior shuttlers won 3 Gold, 1 Silver & 2 Bronze
- Indian junior shuttlers won 6 medals- 3 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze at the Bulgarian Junior International Championships 2019 held at Sport Hall “Vasil Levski”,Pazardzhik, Bulgaria from August 8-11, 2019. It was organised by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
♦In the women’s single’s category, India’s Samiya Imad Faruqui won gold by defeating Anastasiia Shapovalova of Russia by 9-21, 21-12, 22-20 points.
♦Mixed doubles pair of Edvin Joy and Shruti Mishra of India won gold after defeating British pair of Brandon Zhi Hao and Abbygael Harris by 21-14, 21-17.
♦In women’s doubles, Indian pair of Tanisha Crasto and Aditi Bhattwon clinched gold by beating Bengisu Ercetin and Zehra Erdfm from Turkey by 21-15, 18-21, 21-18.
♦In Men’s doubles, Indian pair of Ishan Bhatnagar and Vishnuvardhan settled for silver against British pair of William Jones and Brandon Zhi Hao by 19-21, 18-21.
♦In Women’s singles, India’s Malvika Bansod lost to Anastasiia Shapovalova of Russia and settled for bronze.
♦In Men’s Singles, India’s Meiraba Luwang lost to Georgii Karpov of Russia and settled for bronze.
Appointment & Resignation
- Chandrima Shaha to be the first woman president of INSA from 2020
- Former director of the National Institute of Immunology (NII), Delhi, MsChandrimaShaha is all set to become the first woman president of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) from January 1, 2020.
♦Shaha will assume her new office along with newly elected council of 30 other members from January.
♦she was the vice-captain of West Bengal’s first women’s cricket team and also the first woman cricket commentator for All India Radio (AIR)
♦Shaha after becoming the INSA president wants to take similar initiatives like the ‘Science Setu’ that she initiated when she served as the director of NII. Science Setu was a part of which scientists would go and teach undergraduates.
♦Born on 14th October 1952, she graduated with a Master’s degree from the University of Calcutta and completed her doctoral research in 1980 from the Indian Institute of Chemical Biology.
♦She did her post-doctoral work at the University of Kansas Medical Centre from 1980-1982.
♦Her main focus of research was understanding mechanisms that cause cell death.
♦She worked extensively with ‘Leishmania’ parasite which causes Kala Azar- and has authored over 80 research papers.
Award & Honors
- Kiren Rijiju confers the National Youth Awards
- The Union Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports (I/C) Kiren Rijiju conferred the National Youth Awards on individuals (aged between 15-29 years) and organizations for excellent work and contribution in different fields of development and social service, such as health, promotion of human rights, active citizenship, community service etc.
- The objective of the awards given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Department of Youth Affairs is to motivate young people to achieve excellence in the field of national development and social service.
- Photo Exhibition on “China through Eyes of Indian Youth – 2019” was also inaugurated. It was an exhibition of photos taken by youth delegates who participated in the recent Youth Exchange Program to China.
- Lionel Messi wins UEFA Goal of the Season award
- Lionel Messi has won UEFA’s Goal of the Season prize for the third time in five seasons
- Only goals from UEFA club or international fixtures in 2018-19 were eligible for consideration
- Messi came first in the vote on UEFA’s website for his spectacular free-kick against Liverpool in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final at Camp Nou.
- Ronaldo came second for a strike against his former club Manchester United for Juventus in the group stage
- ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’, book based on two years as Vice President of India launched
- Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah launched the book ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’ in Chennai.
- The book captures glimpses of the Vice President’s 330 public engagements across the country during this period.
- The book describes that Naidu has been active in getting India’s message communicated to the world by meeting visiting foreign delegations and visiting 19 Nations in the last two years.
- Founder of ISRO, Vikram Sarabhai’s 100th birth anniversary observed on 12 August,2019
- The founder of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) and is known as the Father of the Indian Space Program, Vikram Sarabhai’s 100th birth anniversary observed on 12 August,2019 across the country.
- To commemorate the birth centenary of Dr Vikram Sarabhai, ISRO has launched a year-long programmes and functions (include science and space exhibitions, competitions for school children, journalism awards and speeches by eminent personalities) will end on 12th August, 2020.
- World elephant day celebrated on August 12, 2019
- Observed every year on August 12, The World Elephant Day is celebrated to create awareness and bring attention to the urgent plight (dangerous situation) of Asian and African elephants.
- The day was first launched on August 12, 2012.
- Singapore announced on World elephant day that ivory sales will be banned from the country from 2021