- Madame Tussauds Singapore to honour late Bollywood superstar Sridevi with wax statue
- Sridevi: On the occasion of Sridevi’s 56th birth anniversary, Madame Tussauds Singapore announced the launch of her exclusive wax figure as a tribute to the late legendary actor.
- The one-of-its-kind wax figure has been created posthumously by a team of 20 skilled artists who worked closely with Sridevi’s family, trying to replicate her exact pose, expressions, make-up and outfit from her icon song Hawa Hawai.
- The wax figure will be officially unveiled in early September by Sridevi’s husband Boney Kapoor and her daughters Janhvi Kapoor and Khushi Kapoor.
- The statue would be placed in the Ultimate Film Star Experience (UFSE) zone with a special memorial wall where the fans can leave their tribute messages.
- SC refuses to seek status report on cases against Unnao rape survivor, family members
- The Supreme Court on August 13, 2019 refused to direct the UP government to file a report regarding the status of 20 cases that were registered against the Unnao rape survivor and her family members.
- The apex court bench comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and BR Gavai stated that they don’t want to interfere in other cases lodged against them in the state.
- The court was informed by an advocate that proceedings in the four cases, which were transferred to Delhi are being held on a day-to-day basis before a special court. The SC bench stated that it would hear the Unnao case again on August 19.
- Bar Council of India imposes 3-year moratorium on opening new law colleges
- Bar Council of India has imposed a three-year moratorium on opening of new institutions barring national law universities, if proposed by a state.
- The council has also requested state governments and universities to stop unfair means and to fill up vacancies of law teachers in all colleges and universities within a period of four months.
- Prakash Javadekar released Doordarshan’s patriotic song Watanin New Delhi
- Union Minister ShriPrakashJavadekar released patriotic song “Watan” produced by Doordarshan to mark the occasion of Independence Day, 2019 in New Delhi
- The song is sung by famous Bollywood singer ShriJaved Ali, penned by lyricist ShriAlokShrivastav and musically composed by ShriDushyant
- The song pays tribute to New India. It highlights several path breaking initiatives of the government including the determination and vision behind the recent successful launch of “Chandrayaan 2”. The song also pays tribute to the bravery and valour of our armed forces and the martyrs of the country.
- Makes headgear compulsory for children aged above 4 years
- The govt. has made a significant move on safety measures by making it mandatory for children above 4 years of age to wear a headgear of prescribed standards.
- This safety measures for the children has been included in the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) act 2019 which was passed by the government recently.
- Turban wearing Sikhs are exempted from section 129.
- List of those excluded from final Assam NRC be published only online on Aug 31: SC
- The Supreme Court directed on August 13, 2019 that the list of those excluded from the final Assam NRC be published only online on August 31.
- The apex court bench comprising CJI Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R F Nariman stated that like Aadhaar data, an appropriate regime will be enacted to secure the Assam NRC data.
- The top court also said that the ongoing NRC exercise cannot be ordered to be reopened on the basis of certain legal challenges raised before it. The Supreme Court had earlier said that the final Assam NRC would be published on or by August 31.
- Karnataka rebel MLAs move SC seeking urgent hearing of plea challenging disqualification
- The Supreme Court on August 13, 2019 asked the Karnataka rebel Congress-JD(S) MLAs to submit a memo to the registrar for urgent listing of their plea challenging their disqualification from the Karnataka assembly.
- The SC bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra directed senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing on behalf of the rebel MLAs to give the memo to the registrar for urgent listing of their plea.
- Overall, 17 rebel MLAs were disqualified from the Karnataka state assembly ahead of the July 29 floor test moved by the then Karnataka CM H D Kumaraswamy. Kumaraswamy lost the trust vote, paving the way for BS Yediyurappa-led BJP to form government in the state.
- Karnataka government launches E-Step, a programme for student entrepreneurs
- The Department of Information Technology (IT), Biotechnology (BT) and Science & Technology (ST) of Karnataka government launched E-Step, an initiative to empower student start-ups. The programme is a part of Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS).
♦The programme is specially designed for students/ startups/entrepreneurs to understand the basics of entrepreneurship from experienced trainers.
♦The first phase of E-Step is to organize a day long boot camps across all New Age Incubation Networks (NAIN) in Karnataka and the boot camps will be held at 30 colleges between August 12 and September 14, 2019.
♦It will present an overview of the current start-up system.
- South Korea to remove Japan from its “white list”
- South Korea has decided to remove Japan from its 29-country “white list”. The announcement was made by South Korean Trade Minister Sung Yun-mo on August 12, 2019.
- The “white list” comprises the list of nations receiving preferential treatment from South Korea in trade. Japan’s removal from the list is being seen as a retaliation to Japan’s recent decision to downgrade South Korea’s trade status.
- The South Korean Trade Minister Sung Yun-mo stated that the government had decided to remove Japan from its preferred trade list due to its failure to uphold international principles while managing its export controls on sensitive materials.
Banking & Finance
- Aadhaar-enabled payment system crosses 200 million transactions in July
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) stated that transactions through the Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) have crossed 200 million in July.
- Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) is a bank-led model which allows basic interoperable banking transactions at point of sale terminals (PoS) through the business correspondent of any bank by using Aadhaar authentication
- The transaction count of AePS stood at 220.18 million with transaction value Rs. 9,685.35 crore compared with a transaction count of 194.33 million and a transaction value of Rs. 8,867.33 crore in June
- OYO Hotels partners with ACKO General Insurance will launch complimentary insurance cover up to Rs.10 lakh for guests
- Budget hotel chain Oyo Hotels and Homes has partnered with ACKO General Insurance to provide a complimentary insurance cover as part of the booking price for guests at its hotels across India. The visitors will get insurance protection against accidental death, baggage damage, accidental medical expenses amongst other benefits like OPD (Outpatient Department)treatment, etc during their stay.
♦The package offers OYO guests insurance coverage up to ₹10 lakh.
♦The complementary insurance cover will be applicable on OYO app, website, mobile website, direct bookings as well as booking done through walk-in.
♦The partnership will help create the hassle-free and comfortable experience of OYO guests.
- Ireland women’s cricket team makes record of highest opening stand, highest T20I team score
- Ireland women’s cricket team made two records in their T20I Quandrangular series game against Netherland on August 12.
- The Ireland team elected to bat and put up a record high opening stand of 112 runs in the T20Is. The team also made the record of highest Ireland Women’s T20I team score with a total of 213-4.
- The total was the second-highest T20I team score for Ireland (men or women) and the seventh-highest team score in women’s T20I history.
- AishwaryaPissay becomes 1stIndian to claim a world title in motorsports
- AishwaryaPissay (Bangalore) became the first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports, winning the FIM World Cup in the women’s category after thes final round of the championship in Hungary.
- The 23-year old from Bengaluru also finished second in the FIM Junior category
- She won the first round in Dubai and was placed third (Portugal), fifth (Spain) and fourth (Hungary) in the subsequent outings, finished with a tally of 65 points
- Vinesh settles for silver, Sakshi bronze
- Top Indian woman wrestler VineshPhogat lost to N Malisheva of Russia in the 53kg final of the Medved event in Minsk, Belarus.
- The 24-year-old Vinesh was contesting her fourth consecutive final event of the season winning all the earlier three events.
- Before this, Vinesh won gold at 2019 Poland Open wrestling tournament, Grand Prix of Spain and
- India’s U-19 cricket team wins U-19 Tri-series 2019 by beating Bangladesh
- India’s U-19 cricket team defeated Bangladesh in finals by 6 wickets at the County Ground, Hove in United Kingdom (UK) and clinched the Under-19 Tri-Series 2019 Title. Tri-nation series between India, Bangladesh and England was held from July 21-August 11, 2019 in England.
♦Bangladesh had scored 261 runs, all out in 50 overs and India reached the target and scored 264 runs for 4 wickets in 48.4 overs.
♦The captain of Indian U-19 team was Priyam Garg and of U-19 Bangladesh team was Akbar Ali.
♦In the tournament, India U-19 team finished in second place with 8 points, behind Bangladesh U-19, who secured 11 points. England U-19 secured 5 points.
- Netherlands most capped footballer Wesley Sneijder announces retirement
- Former Real Madrid professional footballer, Wesley Sneijder (35) of Netherlands has announced his retirement from football after arranging a business deal with Dutch football club FC Utrecht.
♦Since he left Al-Gharafa in Qatar (18-month deal) in July 2019, Sneijder has been without a club. He has signed a contract with Utrecht’s business arm and he will be able to watch the team play from a private box in the upcoming season.
♦He had started his career in 2002 with football club Ajax and played 134 times from 2003 to 2018 for the Netherlands.
♦In 2007 he moved to Real Madrid, followed by Internazionale, Galatasaray and OGC Nice. With the Real Madrid club, he was able to win the La Liga title in the 2007-08 season & at Inter, he won Serie A, the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Champions League, the FIFA(Federation Internationale de Football Association) World Cup 2010(where he won the Silver Ball as the tournament’s second-best player),and two Coppa Italia.
Appointment & Resignation
- Guatemala Elects Alejandro Giammattei as President
- Alejandro Giammattei, a center-right businessman and former prisons director making his fourth bid for the presidency, was elected as Guatemala’s president in a runoff election where corruption and a migration crisis were the two top issues.
- Giammattei, 63 years old, defeated former first lady Sandra Torres, a social-democrat.
- Former SC judge Madan Lokur sworn in as Fiji’s SC judge
- The president of Fiji Major.General(Retd) Jioji Konrote has appointed Justice Madan Lokur from India as the new Supreme Court (SC) judge of Fiji. i. He will serve as the judge of the non resident panel of the Supreme Court of Fiji.
♦The swearing in ceremony was conducted and the oath was administered by president of Fiji in presence of Chief Justice Kamal Kumar and others.
♦This is the first time ever an Indian has been appointed to the Supreme Court of another country.
♦Mr. Madan Lokur who retired as justice of India’s SC in December 2018, will go to Fiji twice a year to handle civil, criminal, constitutional, commercial matters etc. The SC of Fiji has two sessions in a year split across four weeks.
♦He will join the office from August 15, 2019.
♦He was appointed as the SC judge of India on June 4, 2012.
Award & Honors
- Priyam Chatterjee becomes first Indian chef o be awarded the ”Chevalier de l”Ordre du Merite Agricoleto” by the govt of France
- The government of France conferred the Indian Chef Priyam Chatterjee(30) with ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mrite Agricoleto’ (Order of Agricultural Merit) in New Delhi. With this distinction, Chatterjee becomes the 1st Indian from Kolkata (West Bengal) to receive this honour, in recognition of his great contribution towards reinventing the gastronomic scene in India.
♦French Ambassador to India Alexandre Ziegler conferred Indian chef Chatterjee, who is currently the head chef at Jaan Restaurant Yacht in France, before that he was the head chef of Rooh, and Qla, in Mehrauli(France).
♦Started the first professional career at Park Hyatt in Hyderabad, Chatterjee is popularly known for traditional dishes of West Bengal and giving it a French twist.
- ‘Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar’ Penguin announces new book on the life of Sridevi
- “Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar”,book will be launched on 56th birth anniversary of actor Sridevi
- The book is written by author-screenwriter SatyarthNayak and approved by the actor’s producer husband Boney Kapoor.
- The book will be published under the Ebury Press imprint of Penguin Random House in October 2019
- International Lefthanders Day
- International Left Handers Day is observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers.
- The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International.