- Smriti Irani launches sustainable fashion project,’SU.RE’ in Mumbai
- The Union Minister for Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani has inaugurated Project SU.RE(Sustainable Resolution), a joint project of CMAI(Clothing Manufacturers Association of India)& IMGReliance(International Management Group, during Lakme Fashion Winter/Festive 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The aim of this initiative is to move towards sustainable fashion that contributes to a clean environment.
- It is the 1st ever project in India’s apparel industry that 16 biggest fashion brands of India (such as Future Group, Aditya Birla Retail, Shoppers Stop, Arvind Brands) come together to set a sustainable pathway for the Indian Fashion Industry and is also a major step towards responsible and smart business.
- USCG Stratton arrives in Chennai port; Participates in the Indo-USCG joint exercise
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) ship Stratton on the maiden visit to India arrived at Chennai port as a part of goodwill visit. Deputy Inspector General Sanjeev Dewan, TM Commander Coast Guard along with officials from Indian Coast Guard (ICG) and USCG graced the occasion.
♦The Captain of USCG is Bob Little.
♦It will leave India on August 27, 2019.
Indo-USCG joint exercise
♦Indian Coast Guard (ICG) and USCG Stratton took part in an Indo-USCG joint exercise off the Chennai coast. Coast Guard ships and aircraft of the two countries took part in the exercise around five nautical miles off the city coast in the Bay of Bengal.
♦From the Indian side, ICG Shaurya and ICG Abheek ships and Chetak helicopter took part in the exercise which focused on anti-piracy, search and rescue, and fire fighting operations.
♦The US cutter ship ‘Stratton’, 127-metre-long and 43-metre-tall, and an aircraft associated with the vessel were part of the operation.
- King of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan launches heritage postal stamp of Bandra station
- Indian actor, film producer, Shah Rukh Khan(SRK) has heritage postal stamp of Bandra station in Mumbai, Maharashtra on the completion of 150 years of the railway station.
♦He urged the people present at the launching event to use the postal stamps instead of online texting.
♦Ashish Shelar, minister of School Education, Sports and Youth Welfare of Maharashtra was also present at the event.
- Rajasthan tops in free medicine scheme implementation
- In the rankings issued by the National Health Mission (NHM), Rajasthan Government Chief minister Ashok Gehlot’s flagship free medicine scheme secured the first rank among the 16 states in India. In Rajasthan, the scheme was launched on October 2, 2011.
♦Performance of the states was assessed on the basis of 10 parameters like effective implementation of Drugs and Vaccine Distribution Management System (DVDMS), stock of essential drugs, value of drugs about to expire along with other such parameters.
♦NHM free drug service initiative has been implemented by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) under which states & Union territories are being supported under NHM to provide free drugs to patients coming to public health facilities.
- International dialogue on South-South and Triangular Cooperation addressed by Commerce & Industry Minister
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Railways, Shri PiyushGoyal addressed the International dialogue on South-South and Triangular Cooperation The event is held in New Delhi.
- The World Trade Organisation(WTO) is the key topic addressed South-South and Triangular Cooperation organized by Research and Information System (RIS) and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation(UNOSSC).
- The member countries of WTO to engage in rule-based, transparent, and non-discriminatory
Banking & Finance
- NBFCs can use Aadhaar-based bank KYC to give loans: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman notified that the Non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) will be permitted to use the Aadhaar based bank mandated KYC (Know Your Customer) to avoid repeating the process for the customers. The move will simplify and quicken up the process of availing credit.
♦Background: The government had amended the Prevention of Money Laundering (PMLA) Act 2002 to allow digital KYC. The amendment clarifies the various modes by which banks and NBFCs can capture the customers’ data electronically and also allowed the financial entities to capture full details through eKYC, removing the need to provide the physical documents. It allowed the use of electronic documents besides physical documents to do the KYC Process.
♦The electronic documents can be accessed from the digital locker system which also includes Government of India’s Digi Locker.
- Indian team bags 2 Gold medal in World Archery Youth Championship 2019
- The Indian junior (U-21) compound mixed team of Markoo Raginee and Sukhbeer Singh picked up the 1stgold for India by beating their Switzerland rivals with 152-147 scores at the World Archery Youth Championships 2019 organized by World Archery Federation held in Madrid, Spain from 19 -25 August 2019.
- 17-year-old Komalika Bari has got 2nd Gold medal in the final of recurve cadet class by beating Japan’s Sonoda Waka with 7-3 scores.
♦The Indian team of Sukhbir Singh, Sangampreet Singh Bisla and Tushar Phadtare also won the junior compound men’s team bronze medal by beating Colombia’s Jagdeep Teji Singh Mejia, Gomez Zuluga Felipe and Toro Vasquez Manuel with 234-231scores.
♦The Indians scored 60 out of 60 points in the final round, while the Colombian team managed only 56 points.
Appointment & Resignation
- Padmaja concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Cook Islands
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India concurrently accredited Ms. Padmaja as the next High Commissioner of India to the Cook Islands, with residence in Suva.
- She is presently the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Fiji. She succeeds Vishvas Vidu Sapkal.
Award & Honors
- 4th Edition of ANUBHAV awards for 2019 presented by MoS (PP) Dr Jitendra Singh
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Departments of Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh presented the 4thEdition of annual ANUBHAV awards 2019 at a function organized by the Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in New Delhi. There were 7 awardees.
♦Anubhav portal: It was created on the call of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2015 with a vision to preserve rich experience of retired official in digital form. It is envisaged that their rich experience will be preserved for future generation to learn and explore knowledge on various aspects of governance, culture & development history of a particular region. An award scheme- ANUBHAV awards was introduced in 2016 to incentivize and encourage more retiring employees to submit their write-ups.
♦All India Pension Adalat: Minister inaugurated the All India Pension Adalat organised on the occasion. Thousands of cases were taken up during these Pension Adalats throughout the country. It is a strategic initiative of Department of Pension & PW within 100 days of taking over of new Government.
♦Pre-retirement counselling workshop: The Minister also addressed at the Pre-Retirement counseling workshop. It focussed on educating the retiring employees about various procedures related to retirement.
- Jitendra Singh presents Smart Policing Awards at the Homeland Security 2019 conference in New Delhi
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Jitendra Singh has presented 35 Smart Policing Awards, instituted by FICCI(Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) at Homeland Security 2019 Conference, in New Delhi. He also released a compendium on ‘Best Practices in Policing’ during the event.
♦The 35 awards were given to the officers for working in the areas of anti-insurgency, child safety, community policing, crime investigation & prosecution, cybercrime management, emergency response, human trafficking, road safety & traffic management, smart police station, surveillance & monitoring, training & capacity building, women safety and other police initiatives.
♦Singh praised the officers for their hard work towards the nation & also spoke about the challenges faced by police such as militancy, terrorism and cybercrime.
♦He also stated that the central Government has taken many initiatives for the benefit of security forces& will be committed to make policing more effective specially with regard to laws related to women and drug trafficking.
- Scarlett Johansson tops in Forbes world’s highest-paid actresses list 2019
- As per the recently released Forbes magazine’s world’s Highest-Paid actresses of 2019 list, Hollywood star Scarlett Johansson(United States) has topped for the 2nd consecutive year with the earning of $56 million. She got her earnings with the great success of her summer Marvel film Avengers: Endgame (April 2019). No Indian actresses got a mention in the top 10 position.
- The list was made based on the earnings between June 1, 2018, and June 1, 2019.
- The Forbes magazine identified that even the combined earnings of highest-paid female actors grew by 69 % to $314.6 million, it was still way below than the combined earnings of their male counterparts who raked in $588.3 million.
Here’s the list of the 2019 Forbes Highest-Paid Actresses:
|1||Scarlett Johansson||$56 million|
|2||Sofia Vergara||$44.1 million|
|3||Reese Witherspoon||$35 million|
|4||Nicole Kidman||$34 million|
|5||Jennifer Aniston||$28 million|
|6||Kaley Cuoco||$25 million|
|7||Elisabeth Moss||$24 million|
|8||Margot Robbie||$23.5 million|
|9||Charlize Theron||$23 million|
|10||Ellen Pompeo||$22 million|
- Likee platform creates Guinness World Record for I-Day campaign
- Short video creation platform,Likee entered the 2019 Guinness World Records(formerly The Guinness Book of Records)for creating the largest online video album of people waving the Indian flag during its ‘No matter where I am, #IAMINDIAN‘ campaign.
♦The tricolour was waved by more than 1 lakh Indians including Indian printer Hima Das who participated in this initiative on the platform as a sign of patriotism to celebrate India’s 73rd Independence Day(August 15). The hashtag #IAMINDIAN became the most trending hashtag among Indians in likee as well as other social media platforms.
♦More than 2.5 lakh videos were created by the Indians with about 225.3 million views online.
Science, Space & Technology
- NASA named a rock on Mars in honour of the iconic English band, The Rolling Stones
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) named a rock on Mars in honour of the iconic English band, The Rolling Stones.
- The team behind NASA’s InSight lander has named a Martian rock after the band: ‘Rolling Stones Rock.’ The InSight mission is led by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
- David Hamilton Koch of Koch Industries passed away in US
- Word’s 11th richest person (As on June 2019) with a net worth of $42 billion (about £34billion), an American philanthropist & co-owner of Koch Industries, David Hamilton Koch, aged 79, passed away in Southampton, United States.
- He struggled with prostate cancer. Koch Industries was known for refining crude oil, making fertilizer, producing Dixie cups and Quilted Northern toilet paper. He was born on May 3, 1940 in Wichita, Kansas, US.