- 7th Community Radio Sammelan to be held in Delhi
- The Seventh Community Radio Sammelan will be held at Dr. BR Ambedkar Bhawan, New Delhi from 27th to 29th August 2019.
- The theme of this year’s Sammelan is ‘Community Radio for SDGs’. The representatives of the Community Radio Stations will discuss experiences and possibilities of programming for better public awareness on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar will give awards to Community Radio Stations for their achievements in broadcasting development programmes in various genres including Promotion of Local Culture, Most Creative and Innovative Content, Community Engagement Awards, among others.
- India to have 10,000 CNG stations in next 5 years: Petroleum Minister
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said India will have ten thousand CNG stations in the next five years.
- While launching the commencement of work for 10th City Gas Distribution bidding round which will cover 50 Geographical Areas in 124 districts across the country, Petroleum Minister suggested auto companies retrofit vehicles with CNG to boost sales.
- The Minister said the Government aims to provide reliable, affordable, sustainable and universal access to clean fuel to all.
- Department of Social Justice & Empowerment and National AIDS Control Organization signed an MoU
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Department of Social Justice (DoSJ&E), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E) and National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoH&FW).
- Inclusion of target groups of NACO and National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR) in the programmes of NAPDDR & NACO for awareness generation.
- Enhanced linkages and effective coordination between Injecting Drug Users Targeted Intervention (IDUs-TI) supported by NACO and Integrated rehabilitation center for Addicts (IRCAs) supported by DSJE.
- Under Digital India, Banjari village of Katni district in MP to become an integral part of the digital map of the country
- Under the Prime Minister’s ambitious project of Digital India, the Banjari village of Katni district becomes the 1st village in Madhya Pradesh(MP) to become an integral part of the digital map of the country.
♦Plan: The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEiTY) has envisaged the Digital Village Project & It has planned to build 1000 digital villages across India in this phase starting from Banjari Gram Panchayat of MP.
♦Bridging the Gap: The project will provide connectivity in every village & bridge the digital gap between rural and urban areas of the country. This will also create new jobs and employment.
♦1st Digital village: Akodara village of Sabarkantha district of Gujarat is the 1st digital village in India.
♦Aim: The MEiTY has planned to create one lakh digital villages of this kind in the next 5 years.
Banking & Finance
- BharatPe raises USD50 mn in Series B funding
- Payments platform BharatPe has raised USD 50 million in Series B funding round led by Ribbit Capital and Steadview Capital.
- Existing investors Sequoia Capital, Beenext venture capital fund and Insight Partners also participated in the round.
- The new round valued the startup at USD 225 million, Ashneer Grover, Co-founder and CEO of BharatPe, told TechCrunch.
- CVC constitutes a panel to examine bank fraud
- An Advisory Board for Banking Frauds (ABBF) has been constituted by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to examine bank fraud of over 50 crore rupees and recommend action.
- This panel was previously known as Advisory Board on Bank, Commercial and Financial Frauds.
- The four-member board’s jurisdiction will be confined to those cases involving officers of General Manager level and above in the PSBs in respect of an allegation of fraud.
- PV Sindhu Beats NozomiOkuharato Win Historic World Championships Gold
- PV Sindhu produced a dominating performance to outclass third seeded NozomiOkuhara from Japan to win a gold medal in the World Championships 2019.
- In the process, the fifth seeded PVSindhu bettered her 2017, 2018 appearances in the World Championships final and became the first Indian to win the marquee tournament.
- Gokulam Kerala beat MohunBagan 2-1 to win Durand Cup
- Gokulam Kerala defeated MohunBagan 2–1 to win their maiden Durand Cup finals at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
- The 2019 Durand Cup was the 129th edition of the oldest football tournament in Asia since its foundation in 1888.
- Spain’s Alex Rins wins British Grand Prix
- Suzuki Ecstar rider Alex Rins won the MotoGP Grand Prix of Britain
- Rinspipped the Marc Marquez by a margin of 0.013 seconds to take his second win of the MotoGP season.
Award & Honors
- Gulbarga tur dal gets GI tag
- The ‘Gulbarga tur dal’ (Kalaburagi red gram), renowned for its superior quality the world over, received Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the government recently.
- Red gram is the main kharif crop in the Hyderabad Karnataka region. Of the total 9 lakh hectares of red gram cultivated across the State, around 3.7 lakh hectares of the crop is grown in Kalaburagi district alone.
- Modi conferred ‘The King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’ in Bahrain
- Indian Prime Minister NarendraModi was awarded ‘The King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’ by Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa in recognition of his efforts to strengthen bilateral ties between the two nations.
- India and Bahrain also signed four Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) in the field of culture, space, solar energy, and on the roll-out of RuPay card.
- For Rupay, the National Electronic Payments Network (BENEFIT) of Bahrain and the Indian National Payments Corporation (NPCI) has partnered for cooperation and link payment systems to facilitate payments between the two countries.
- CPWD DG chosen for ‘Eminent Engineer Award- 2019’
- Director General of Central Public Works Department Prabhakar Singh has been chosen for the ‘Eminent Engineer Award for the Year 2019’ by the Institution of Engineers (India) for his distinguished and exemplary service in the field of engineering and technology.
- This Elite and Prestigious Award shall be conferred to him on the ‘Engineers Day’ on September 15.
- His enormous contributions and dedicated service to the nation as an Eminent Technocrat has been instrumental in transforming the Premier Engineering Organisation of the Central Government.
Science, Space & Technology
- Critical components to India’s Gaganyaan mission to be supplied by Russia
- India is in talks with Russia for a wider range of cooperation in the space sector to supply semi-cryogenic engine technology and critical components for India’s first human space mission Gaganyaan for the year 2021.
- According to Roscosmos (Russian state run space corporation), a top level meeting between Russia and India regarding the mission cooperation is likely to be held during the 5th Eastern Economic Forum(EEF) from September 4-6 in Vladivostok, Russia.
- As per a contract signed on June 27 this year between Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Russian space agency Glavkosmos(part of Roscosmos), 4 Indians are to be trained at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Centre.
- North Korea tests new ‘super-large’ multiple rocket launcher
- A newly developed “super-large multiple rocket launcher” as part of North Korea’s expanding weapons arsenal (collection of weapons and military equipment) was test fired and was supervised by North Korea’s supreme leader Kim Jong-Un.This latest North Korean launch was made two days after South Korea announced its possible termination of its intelligence-sharing deal with Japan amid trade disputes between the U.S(United States) allies.
♦The launcher was developed and tested as means of Korean-style strategic and tactical weapons to face the military threats and pressure from its hostile forces such as the United States and South Korea that conducted a small scale military drill in november 2018.
♦Recent test fires: North Korea marks its 7th weapon test in about a month after its super-large multiple rocket launcher of which most are of short range.
♦The previous test fire also involved a large-calibre multiple rocket guided system just a day after South Korea accused North Korea of firing two short-range ballistic missiles.
♦Further the super large rocket launcher is ambiguously considered to be at least the 4th new missile system unveiled by North Korea after denuclearisation talks.
- 7 new species of insects that can walk on water discovered
- The journal ‘Zootaxa’ has published about 7 new species of insects that can walk or run on the surface of the water. This was discovered by scientists of the ‘Zoological Survey of India’.
♦The species belongs to the genus Mesovelia ranging from 1.5 mm to 4.5 mm equipped with hydrophobic setae (bristles) on their legs and are pale green in colour with silver-white wings and black veins.
♦This combination of hydrophobic setae and water surface tension prevents the insects from sinking.
♦There are currently 12 species of genus Mesovelia found in the country.
- Women’s Equality Day
- Women’s Equality Day is celebrated in the United States on August 26 to commemorate the 1920 adoption of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex.