- India’s top 10 Police Stations for 2019 announced: Andaman tops the list
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has released the list of best performing Police Stations across the country for the year 2019.
- Aberdeen police station from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Balasinor police station from Gujarat and Ajk Burhanpur from Madhya Pradesh take the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places respectively.
- The grading system of the police stations comes after the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi while addressing the DsGP (State Police Chief) during the 2015 Conference held in Kutch, Gujarat.
Top 5 Police Stations from the list:
- Aberdeen (Andaman and Nicobar Islands)
- Balasinor (Gujarat)
- Ajk Burhanpur (Madhya Pradesh)
- AWPS Theni (Tamil Nadu)
- Anini (Arunachal Pradesh)
- Centre approves 7 projects to set up FM transmitters in the premises of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)
- As per the Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar, the central Government has approved seven projects for setting up FM (Frequency modulation ) transmitters in the premises of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) to strengthen FM coverage along the Indo-Nepal border.
- These 7 projects will set up in Bihar (Bathnaha village of Araria district, Narkatiaganj town in West Champaran district, and Sitamarhi district), Uttar Pradesh-UP (Gadaniya village in Lakhimpur Kheri district , Nanpara town in Bahraich district ,and Maharajganj district) , Uttarakhand (Champawat district).
- Jal shakti minister Gajendra singh addresses 4th India water impact summit 2019 held in New Delhi
- The Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has addressed the 4th India Water Impact Summit 2019 with the theme “Valuing Water
- Transforming Ganga” held with the focus on integrated water resources management in urban and rural areas at the Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi from 5-7 December 2019.
- On this occasion, Shekhawat also released the report on River Restoration and Conservation – A Concise Manual and Guide, and Documents on “cGanga Hubs”.
- The summit was organized by Ministry of Jal Shakti, Government of India (GoI) and the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) led by IIT Kanpur.
- The summit hosted the 2nd Water Finance Forum that aims to gathers the global financial institutions and investors on investing in the rejuvenation of the largest environmental programme.
- CM Amarinder Singh launched Enable Startup Track Acceleration (ESTAC) program in Punjab
- Amarinder Singh, Punjab Chief Minister launched Enable Startup Track Acceleration (ESTAC) program in the Progressive Punjab Investors Summit-2019 held in Mohali, Punjab.
- The goal of the summit is to promote entrepreneurship and innovation in the state.
- ESTAC is a startup program started by the partnership between the State Government and the AIC (Atal Incubation Centre) Indian School of Business, Mohali.
- The goal of the program is to support the technology-led, scalable and investible growth stage startups in the areas of government and private sectors.
- The first series of the startup program focuses on agricultural startups and the next series will focus on innovation in agriculture, e-mobility, procurement of crops and electric metering. ESTAC is a 6 month program starting from 1st March 2020.
- Ten startups will be selected and will participate in the ESTAC program and will be given the opportunity to work on pilot projects with the government of Punjab.
- 7th OPEC and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting held in Vienna, Austria
- The 7th edition of the OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting was held in Vienna, Austria.
- The meeting was held under the Co-Chairmanship of OPEC’s President, Manuel Salvador Quevedo Fernandez, People’s Minister of Petroleum of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, and Alexander Novak, Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation.
- Cut in oil production: During the meeting, the oil producing countries decided to cut oil production by 500,000 barrels per day with effect from January 1, 2020.
- This has been done to stem the pressure on prices from abundant reserves and weak global economic growth.
Banking & Finance
- Canada’s CPPIB commits to invest up to $600 million in National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India
- CPP Investment Board, officially the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) has agreed to invest up to $600 million in the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India through the NIIF Master Fund.
- CPPIB’s commitment includes a $150 million in the NIIF Master Fund and co-investment rights of up to $450 million in future opportunities to invest alongside the NIIF Master Fund.
- Other investors such as Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, Australia’s largest superannuation fund- AustralianSuper, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, Temasek, Axis Bank HDFC (Housing Development Finance Corporation )Group, ICICI(Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank and Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance, central Government have also committed to invest in NIIF Master Fund.
- NEFT transaction facility to be available 24×7 for customers from December, 16, 2019: RBI
- With a view to promote digital transactions, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed the round-the-clock (24×7) transactions facility under the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) system to customers on all days including weekends and holidays from December 16,2019.
- This direction was issued by RBI under Section 10(2) read with Section 18 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 (Act 51 of 2007).
- Under the current system, funds can be transferred through NEFT from 8 am to 7 pm from Monday to Friday (except on Holidays).
- Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki, former World No.1 Tennis Player announced her retirement at 29
- Caroline Wozniacki (29) from Denmark, former World No.1 tennis player announced her retirement from tennis after next month’s Australian Open, the first Grand Slam tournament of the year 2019 and WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) event in Auckland.
- Caroline Wozniacki was born in Odense, Denmark. She is the first woman from a Scandinavian country to hold the top-ranking position. “Scandinavia” refers to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden.
- Caroline turned a professional tennis player in the age of 15 in the year 2005, she was in the top of the WTA rankings for 71 weeks, after which she became the world’s best player in October 2010, she has won 30 WTA titles including the 2017 Tour Finals in Singapore and finished 11 straight seasons in the world top 20, she is currently in 37th place after her poor form in 2019.
Appointment & Resignation
- Girish Chandra Chaturvedi appointed as chairman of National Stock Exchange
- India’s leading stock exchange the National Stock Exchange(NSE) has appointed public interest Director Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as its new chairman.
- The appointment was done after the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India’s (SEBI) approval. Chaturvedi replaced Ashok Chawla, who resigned as a chairman in January 2019.
- Shri Chaturvedi who is a retired IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer has previously served as Secretary of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoP&NG).
- He also serves as a non-executive chairman of the ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank.
- Tony & Emmy award-winning American actor Ron Leibman passes away at the age of 82
- American actor Ron Leibman, who won a Tony Award in 1993 for his performance in the Broadway’s Angels in America & an Emmy Award (1979) on the short-lived CBS show Kaz, passed away due to complications of pneumonia. He was 82.
- Born on October 11, 1937in New York City of U.S.(United States), Leibman was best known for playing Dr. Leonard Green, the father of Jennifer Aniston’s Rachel Green, on TV’s Friends.
- In his long career of 6 decades, Ron has appeared in a variety of dramas and comic roles. He received Drama Desk Awards for his work in‘We Bombed in New Haven’ & ‘Transfers ‘ between 1969 and 1970.