- FSSAI launches logo for Trans-Fat Free
- For the benefit of customers and to make informed choices FSSAI has launched a logo for Trans-Fat Free food items.
- Now sweet shops, bakeries, other food outlets can use this logo to showcase their healthier fat or oil options.
- Since 2018, FSSAI has been pushing the industry to bring down the trans-fatty acids in Vanaspati, edible bakery shortenings, margarine in a phased manner.
- Around 10 crore people become beneficiaries under Ayushman Bharat: Dr Harsh Vardhan
- Speaking in the Parliament Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that about 10 crore people have become the beneficiaries under Ayushman Bharat- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana.
- According to the information shared by Dr Harsh Vardhan 16 thousand 39 hospitals including 8059 private hospitals and 7980 public hospitals have been empanelled under the scheme.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan informed the Lok Sabha that states are free to add additional families at their own cost.
- Committee to examine FDI issue in e-commerce constituted by the government
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in e-commerce in recent times became a confusing/complex network to understand to the Indian government. Hence the government set up a separate committee to examine issues related to FDI in e-commerce.
- The committee is constituted under additional secretary of Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Other members to examine issues related to FDI issues in e-commerce are members from the Department of Commerce, Department of Consumer Affairs, Department of Legal Affairs and ministry of MSME.
- New FDI policy states that a vendor is considered “controlled” by an online eMarketplace operator if more than 25% of its Merchandise from an entity related to the eMarketplace is sourced.
- This policy came into effect on February 1, 2019
- 100% FDI under automatic route in the Marketplace model of e-commerce is allowed currently, but investment in the inventory based model of e-commerce is prohibited.
- ICMR in partnership with Population Council launches National Data Quality Forum in New Delhi
- The Oldest medical research body, Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR)’s National Institute for Medical Statistics (ICMR-NIMS), in partnership with Population Council (an international non-profit NGO that conducts research in biomedicine and social science) launched the National Data Quality Forum (NDQF) in New Delhi to improve quality of health and demographic data in India.
♦It will integrate learning’s from scientific and evidence-based initiatives and guide actions through periodic workshops and conferences.
♦NDQF’s activities will help towards establishing protocols and good practices when dealing with data collection, storage, use, and dissemination that can be applied to health and demographic data, as well as replicated across other industries and sectors also.
♦It aims to generate meaningful dialogue around the improvement of data quality in general, and for health and medical research in particular.
♦It will be guided by the direction provided by a high-level steering committee and operationalized with the help of a technical advisory group.
- Uttar Pradesh becomes No. 1 in implementation of Pradhanamntri SurakshaBeemaYojna
- Uttar Pradesh has become number one in implementation of PradhanamntriSurakshaBeemaYojna in the country.
- As per the statement released by state government 1.95 crores people have been given insurance cover under the scheme till 31 march 2019.
- Implementation of this ambitious central government scheme started in state from January 2018 under which people between age group of 18 to 70 get accidental insurance cover of rupees 2 lakh by paying a nominal premium of 12 rupees annually.
- Information provided by department of institutional finance of state also says that Uttar Pradesh stands second in the country in the implementation of PradhanMantriJeevanJyotiBeemaYojana, another flagship scheme of the Union Government.
- Arunachal CM launches statewide tree plantation programme
- Chief Minister PemaKhandu launched the statewide tree plantation programme ‘Clean-Green Arunachal Campaign 2019’ in Itanagar.
- The campaign under the State Forest department will plant 1-lakh tree saplings in the next 24 hours.
- The campaign is being held as part of Van Mahotsav celebration and has set the target of planting 1 Crore tree within the next five years.
- Anganwadi Centres to get transformed into Model Community facilities in Jammu and Kashmir
- Jammu and Kashmir Government rolled out an ambitious plan to transform the Anganwadi Centres into state-of-the-art Model Community Facilities for children and mothers in the State.
- As a part of this programme in the first phase, 50 existing Anganwadi Centres in each district would be transformed through convergence with MGNREGA into Model Anganwadi Centres.
- They will be equipped with upgraded infrastructure and improved amenities like toilets, drinking water and hygiene.
- It will be then replicated at other Anganwadi Centres in the State to change the face of Government’s children and women-oriented program for efficient delivery of Integrated Child Development Scheme.
- Nine out of 12 Indians aboard seized UAE vessel released by Iran
- Nine out of Twelve Indians aboard UAE vessel MT Riah have been released by Iran who were detained earlier this month. Media reports said that 21 Indians are, however, still in detention in Iran.
- Eighteen Indian nationals are on board British oil tanker Stena Impero which was seized last week by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps in the Strait of Hormuz for alleged violation of international maritime rules.
- Minister of State in External Affairs, V Muraleedharan said in a tweet, the Indian embassy in Tehran has got the consular access to 18 Indian nationals who were on board Stena Impero.
- Delhi among cheapest cities to relocate: Moving Price Index 2019
- Arding to the study named “Moving Price Index 2019” conducted by relocation experts from Movinga(German online platform-based moving company), Delhi is among the world’s cheapest cities to move to. Delhi was ranked 85th in terms of individual relocation & 84th rank in family relocation on the Index, a study of 85 cities that takes a number of parameters into account as a foundation for its findings, including transportation, food and drink, phone bills, rent cost (temporary and permanent), storage fees and internet connection.
♦San Francisco was ranked as the most expensive city in the world to relocate to as an individual and as a Family.
♦The index ranked from most expensive to least expensive based on the total costs incurred over the first three months for an individual to settle into a new city.
♦Moving to delhi could cost for individual location is $1735, for family relocation $4232 & for individual by expensive type include phone bills($2),rent at temporary home($392),rent at permanent residence($182) and for internet connection it is $4.
Banking & Finance
- RBI panel recommends an increase in collateral-free lending, MUDRA loan limit to Rs 20 lakh: Nitin Gadkari
- The Union Minister for MSMEs(Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises), Nitin Gadkari stated that a panel of RBI(Reserve Bank of India) has recommended the increase in the collateral-free lending limit to Rs 20 lakh for MSMEs and self-help groups(SHG). The panel also recommended revision of loan limit sanctioned under MUDRA (Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency) to Rs 20 lakh from Rs 10 lakh.
♦Registration: He also informed that 22.83 lakh micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has registered themselves in the “Udyog Aadhaar Portal”( a 12 digit Unique Identification Number provided by the Ministry of MSME) between March 2018 and March 2019.
♦Helping schemes: MSME ministries financial assistance is also provided under the schemes under the Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Program(PMEGP). Apart from this, the credit guarantee scheme and credit linked capital subsidy scheme for MSME are also being run.
♦MSME portal: The government has decided to launch a portal on the lines of Alibaba(China) and Amazon (US) for selling products manufactured by small industries. Through this portal, the ministry is expected to earn revenue of 10 lakh crore in the next two years.
♦Government banks have sanctioned 36,000 loans under the ‘psbloansin59minutes’ portal, a loan of 8.5 % interest can be given from 1 lakh to 5 crores.
Business & Economy
- Apple buys ‘majority’ of Intel’s smartphone modem biz for $1 billion
- Apple has announced the acquisition of “majority” of chipmaker Intel’s smartphone modem business in a deal valued at $1 billion, which “is expected to close in fourth quarter of 2019”.
- Apple will intake 2,200 Intel workers along with equipment, intellectual property and leases.
- Notably, Intel had cancelled plans for 5G modems after Apple settled its 2-year-long dispute with Qualcomm.
- AAI signed up with Aireon for aircraft surveillance over the Indian ocean
- A statutory body working under the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Airports Authority of India(AAI) has signed MoU(memorandum of understanding) with Aireon, a global aircraft tracking body for implementation of Space-Based Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast data (ADS-B) services for the oceanic regions of the Indian flight information regions (FIRs).
♦The agreement was signed by Mansoor Ahmed of Airports Authority of India and Don Thoma, President and CEO, Aireon.
♦The MoU provides AAI surveillance coverage of regions in the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean, representing 6 million sq km.
♦The present surveillance technology covers only terrestrial airspace and has limited coverage over oceanic regions. But the ADS-B services will provide the real-time surveillance of airplanes over oceans falling in Indian Airspace.
♦The estimated cost for provisioning of these services is Rs.114 crores per year. The AAI plans to start trial operations of these services from January 2020.
- NITI Aayog and WhatsApp partners to promote women entrepreneurs
- Partnership between NITI Aayog and WhatsApp has been announced to support the growth of ecosystem to promote women entrepreneurs in India under the aegis of Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP).
- A coffee table book was launched by WhatsApp in New Delhi named “Gateway To A Billion Opportunities” which is a collection of impactful stories from across India
♦WhatsApp will partner with Women Transforming India (WTI) awards 2019 which is a flagship initiative of NITI Aayog.
♦The WTI winners will be provided support amounting to $100,000 by WhatsApp.
♦The awards are organised in partnership with the United Nations
- FIFA rankings: India drops two places to 103
- Fédération Internationale de Football Association(FIFA) has released its ranking for the year 2019.Belgium lead the overall FIFA rankings, followed by Brazil, France, England and Uruguay.
- Indian football team slipped two places to 103rd in the recent FIFA rankings with 1214 ranking points.
- Among Asian Countries, Iran topped the ranking.Iran ranked 23rd globally followed by Japan (33), Korea (37), Australia (46) and Qatar (62).
Appointment & Resignation
- BS Yediyurappa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Karnataka’s Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) state President BS Yediyurappa sworn in as the 19th Chief Minister of Karnataka.He succeeded H. D. Kumaraswamy of Janata Dal (Secular) party.
- He has the record of taking the oath of office as Chief Minister of Karnataka for the fourth time.
- Previously he served as the Chief Minister of Karnataka for 3 times viz, 12th to 19th November 2007, 30th May 2008 to 31st July 2011 & 17th to 19th May 2018.
- He is popularly known as “Raithara Bandhu” for his pro-farmer policies, initiatives like separate agriculture budget in Karnataka Government during his chief ministership.
- In 2014, he merged his party with the BJP and was subsequently elected to the 16th Lok Sabha from the Shimoga constituency.
Science, Space & Technology
- Temperature of Earth is increasing rapidly than in last 2,000 years: Study
- Researchers used data compiled from nearly 700 temperature indicators — tree rings, sediment cores, coral reefs and modern thermometer readings — to provide a comprehensive timeline of the planet’s recent climate history.
- A paper, published in the journal Nature, examined regional temperature trends over time.
- Study found that average global temperatures are currently around 1°C hotter than pre-industrial times, there have been a number of periods of cooling and warming over the centuries.
- IIT Kharagpur Students developed an app ‘CARE4U’ for elderly people
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology )Kharagpur students have developed an android-based app called ‘CARE4U’ aims to provide better elderly care practices. The app connects the elderly person to the caregiver. It will inform the caregiver when the elderly person falls down with the exact location by using a neural network-based fall detection algorithm.
♦Detection: The app also detects emotions, taking a picture and calculating the mood index of the person when the elderly open the app. It detects whether the person is sad or not and automatically updates the caregiver.
♦Cognitive intelligent chatbot: To make mood index more effective the team has developed a cognitive intelligent chatbot for the elderly person to engage with.
♦Machine learning: No cloud service is needed as all other machine learning models run on mobile itself.
♦Medicine Reminder: The app also has a medicine reminder feature, that helps both the elderly person as well as the caregiver that it is time for their medicine.
♦Record: The app has a record of medical histories, allergies’ account, an SOS(Save Our Souls) button, etc.
- Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi dies
- Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi, the North African country’s first democratically elected leader, died today at the age of 92.
- Tunisian President’s office said that he had been hospitalized with a severe illness in late June and was returned to intensive care.
- Beji Caid Essebsi was one of the oldest head of state after Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II who came to the power in 2014.
- 20th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas
- The 20th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas is being celebrated across the country on July 26.
- The day marks the victory of Indian armed forces in Operation Vijay in 1999, when they evicted the infiltrators backed by Pakistani army of high outposts in Kargil sector.
- The Kargil war was fought for more than 60 days and ended with India regaining control of all the previously held territory.