- Tourism Ministry extended visiting hours of 10 monuments
- Tourism Ministry has announced that ten historical Monuments will remain open till 9 pm for common public.
- Among these 10 Monuments Safdarjung Tomb and Humayun’s Tomb in Delhi, Group of Monuments and Gol Gumbaz in Karnataka, Rajarani Temple Complex in Odisha and others are included.
- All these 10 monuments will be illuminated in the evening and hoped that this effort will attract more tourist.
- Indian Railways’ NFR zone introduces new ‘pink coaches’ for women passengers
- Indian Railways’Northeast Frontier Railway zone has started a unique initiative to earmark a special portion of the SLR coach with pink colour. This is done to specially help the women passengers with better safety and security.
- This special colour will help the women passenger to easily identify the coach in the platform even during rush hours.
- Eight trains in Rangiya division of the Northeast Frontier Railway have begun operations with some pink coaches, exclusively for women.
- In some trains depending on the nature of the coach the same has been earmarked both for lady passengers as well as Divyangjan.
- Google partners with Cisco to roll out free high-speed Wi-Fi zones in India
- Cisco and Google announced plans to roll out free high-speed Wi-Fi zones across India with Google’s gStation.
- Cisco will work with gStation platform to provide communities around the country access to a free, open, high-quality public Wi-Fi.
- The service is already live in 25 locations in Bangalore. According to Google, it will be available in 500 locations in Bangalore over the next few months.
- Centre aims to achieve 100% digitization of waqf properties in 100 days
- Union Minister of Minority Affairs, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi stated that the Centre government has set a target to achieve “100% Digitization of Waqf properties across country in its 1st 100 days” at the National Conference of State and Union Territories Waqf Boards organized by the Central Waqf Council, held in New Delhi. He also awarded 8 ”mutawalis” under the “Qaumi Waqf Board Taraqqiati Scheme” for better management of waqf properties.
♦GIS/GPS: Geographic Information System (GIS)/ Global Positioning System(GPS) mapping are being used on a war footing with the help of IIT Roorkee and the Aligarh Muslim University to achieve the target.
♦Aim: To improve the infrastructural and financial conditions of waqf boards so that waqf properties can be used for the welfare of the Muslim community, and encroachment of such properties be prevented.
♦Present status: There are over 6 lakh registered waqf properties across the country.
♦PMJVK: This is the 1st time the Government providing 100 % funding to develop various educational and developmental programs on waqf land under Pradhanmantri Jan Vikas Karykram (PMJVK).
- Odisha rasagola gets Geographical Indication tag
- The rasagola, a popular dessert of Odisha, has received the geographical indication tag from the Registrar of Geographical Indication
- The GI number 612 has been registered in favour of the Odisha Small Industries Corporation Limited (OSIC Limited), a government of Odisha undertaking and Utkal Mistanna Byabasayee Samiti, a traders’ organisation, in the foodstuff category
- J&K District Administration Udhampur launched helpline “Jeene Do”
- Under the Centrally sponsored Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme, Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) District Administration Udhampur launched a helpline, “Jeene Do” with an objective to improve sex ratio and deal with defaulters of Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act 1994.
- Mobile Number 9469793363 is dedicated to the Public to register complaints.
- TN celebrates ‘Hospital Day’ on July 30, 2019
- Tamil Nadu (TN) celebrated its first ‘Hospital Day’ on the commemoration of the birth anniversary Muthulakshmi Reddy. She was one of India’s prominent successful woman doctors in the early 20th century and TN’s first woman legislator.
♦Born on July 30, 1886, in Pudukottai, TN, she was the founder of Adyar Cancer Institute in Chennai (1954). She died in 1968.
♦The day is also observed to publicize services offered by the hospitals along with the Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), donors social institutions and corporates offering corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds for development of the hospitals.
♦Google also dedicated its doodle to Muthulakshmi Reddy on her 133rd birth anniversary.
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh’s visit to Mozambique
- Hon’ble Defence Minister of India Rajnath Singh visited Mozambique from july 28-30 2019.This is the first official visit of Rajnath Singh as a Defence Minister to the African country as well as it is the first time ever a defence minister of India has visited Mozambique.
- A Ceremony was held at the Mozambican naval headquarters to hand over Two India made Fast Interceptor Boats (FIBs) to the Mozambican navy where four members from Indian Coast Guard System (ICGS) team will be assisting with training and maintenance and operating the two boats.
- In order to strengthen the Indo-Mozambican Defence cooperation, the Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh signed Two Memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Mozambique
- India & China review situation in the borders areas ahead of Xi Jinping’s visit
- India & China reviewed the situation in the border areas and progress made in productive implementation of confidence-building measures to improve the relations between their troops on the ground ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to India to hold 2nd informal summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
♦The 2 sides hold 14th meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) on India-China Border Affairs in Beijing, China on July 29,2019.
♦They took note of regular exchanges at the troops level and at the diplomatic level, including under the WMCC framework, for maintaining peace in the border areas, which is important for the smooth development of bilateral relations was acknowledged by both sides.
♦WMCC: It was established as an institutional mechanism in 2012 for consultation and coordination for the management of India-China border areas and also to exchange views on strengthening communication and cooperation.
♦The two countries have 3,488-km-long Line of Actual Control (LAC) between them & so far they held 21 rounds of Special Representatives talks to resolve the border dispute.
Banking & Finance
- Nilekani-Backed Sahamati Account Aggregator Could Solve Fintech’s Data Problem
- Infosys cofounder and its former chairman Nandan Nilekanibrought a phase of disruption for digital India with the work on Aadhaar and the subsequent push from IndiaStack.
- Nilekani has now introduced a new model which could change the game for the fintech ecosystem in India in the form of account aggregator.
- Nilekani debuted Sahamati, a collective of account aggregator focussed on fintech data and addressing the friction in accessing this data.
- The Sahamati framework addresses pain points and provides a digital platform for easy sharing and consumption of data between its partner entities, with user consent.
- Sahamati claims that it has in-principle approval from RBI, while other financial services regulators (FSRs) are providing the required regulatory support and guidance for the rollout.
- Sahamati’s data empowerment and protection architecture (DEPA) enables the collection and use of personal data to improve access to financial, healthcare, and other socio-economically important services in real-time. DEPA also claims to preserve the safety, security and privacy of users.
- ICC launches World Test Championship
- The World Test Championship will witness the top nine Test teams in the world compete in 71 Test matches across 27 series.
- The World Test Championship final to be held in the United Kingdom in 2021. ICC is expecting that top teams will go head to head in matches.
- Australia, Bangladesh, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the West Indies are the nine teams that will battle it out for the top honours in the World Test Championship.
- Guwahati to host next Khelo India Youth Games
- Next edition of Khelo India Youth Games will be held in Guwahati in 2019. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju announced the decision today.
- Games to be held from 18th January next year, will see participation of more than 10,000 athletes and officials.
- It will be conducted in partnership with Indian Olympic Association, School Games Federation of India and Assam as host State.
- Ellyse Perry becomes first cricketer to reach 1000 runs, 100 wickets in T20Is
- Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry became the first cricketer of either gender to reach the rare milestone of scoring 1000 runs and taking 100 wickets in the T20 format.
- A four brought up the 1000-run milestone for the all-rounder, who had picked up her 100th wicket by dismissing England’s Nat Sciver in the World T20 final in November last year.
- Tamil Nadu girl wins gold at World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship in Taiwan
- 15-year-old Jerlin Anika from Tamil Nadu’s Madurai has won the gold medal at the 2nd World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Anika won a total of four medals including two silvers and a bronze.
Award & Honors
- Tiruchy airport terminal shortlisted for LEAF award
- The new terminal of the international airport of trichy has been shortlisted for the Leading European Architecture Forum (LEAF) awards under the category of ‘Best Future Building Under-construction Project.
- Pascall-Watson group designed the terminal by fusing reference from local heritage and culture with a contemporary architectural language, creating a sense of place and identity for arriving and departing passengers.
- It uses natural lighting, water harvesting and ground source, among others.
- After West Bengal, Odisha gets GI tag for its sweet version of Rasagola
- The Registrar of Geographical Indications(GI), Chennai has awarded a GI certificate registering the sweetmeat as ”Odisha Rasagola” to the state of Odisha which will be valid till Feb 22, 2028. In 2017, West Bengal had secured the GI tag for ”Banglar Rosogolla” after a tug of war with Odisha since 2015 over the origin of the sweet.
♦Records: The eastern state of Odisha claimed its GI tag by submitting history old documents stated that Rasagola” has been a part of the state’s centuries-old rituals performed for Lord Jagannath and found its mention in a 15th century Odia epic ”Dandi Ramayana”.
♦Registration: The GI registration was conferred to ‘Odisha Rasagola’ under Section 16(I) or of authorized Section 17(3)(c) of Geographical Indication of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act 1999. The GI number 612 has been registered in favor of the Odisha Small Industries Corporation Limited (OSIC Ltd), a government of Odisha undertaking and Utkal Mistanna Byabasayee Samiti, a traders’ organization.
♦Specialty: Odisha Rasagola made of china (cottage cheese) cooked in sugar syrup, which is very soft to feel, is juicy and non- chewy in consistency and without teeth pressure it can be swallowed.
♦Color Theory: Odisha Rasagolas’, white in color with a round shape (non‐ spherical) are very specific, where without the addition of external color, various intensely-colored rasagolas are prepared using the principle of caramelization of sugar with specific methods of preparation.
- DD News received “Champions of Empathy Award” for spreading awareness about hepatitis
- DD News(Doordarshan), a 24*7 terrestrial cum satellite News Channel of India has awarded “Champions of Empathy Award” for spreading awareness about hepatitis. Mayank Agrawal, Director General of DD News has received the Award from Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
- Agrawal stated that it is the responsibility of DD News to aware people about various diseases and preventives by showing health-related programs, reports, and policies that help to spread awareness towards health in society.
♦Hepatitis name has derived from the Greek word ‘Hepar’ meaning liver and ‘itis’ meaning inflammation. Thus, it is a medical condition in which inflammation occurs in liver cells and its complications vary with the type of infection. It is mostly caused by a group of viruses called hepatitis viruses. There are 5 types of hepatitis viz. A, B, C, D, and E. Each type is caused by a different hepatitis virus.
Science, Space & Technology
- Report of green ratings on fertilizer sector released
- Prakash Javadekar, Union Environment Minister, released the latest report of green ratings on fertilizer sector in New Delhi.
- Centre for Science and Environment along with its Green rating project, prepared the report based on 42 parameters.
- Report says that there is a need to sensitize the industrial sector while government is also working to boost environmental protection incentives which are must to encourage people.
- Israel and the US successfully tested Arrow-3 Anti-Ballistic Missile System
- On July 28, 2019, Israel’s Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Benjamin Netanyahu informed that Israel and the United States (US) successfully conducted tests of the advanced anti-ballistic missile system “Arrow-3″. The test was carried out with U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) at Pacific Spaceport Complex-Alaska (PSCA) in Kodiak, Alaska, US.
- Arrow-3 is jointly manufactured by the Boeing Company and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and is intended to serve as Israel’s highest-altitude missile interception system.
- It is designed by IAI. It passed its first full interception test over the Mediterranean sea in 2015 and was deployed in Israel in 2017.
- July 30 observed as World day against trafficking in persons
- In order to raise Awareness of the situation of victims of human trafficking and promotion and protection of their rights, the UN GeneralAssembly designated July 30 as the World Day Against Trafficking In Persons. The theme for 2019 is “Human Trafficking: call your government to action”
- People trafficked in own country has doubled to 58% according to the United Nations office on drugs and crime (UNODC) Global report 2018