- Five lakh govt vehicles to become e-vehicles
- Environment and Climate Change Minister, Prakash Javdekar said that about 5 lakh government vehicles on conventional fuel will be changed into eco-friendly e-vehicles.
- These e-vehicles will be eco-friendly and also cost-effective. These vehicles will also help to save conventional fuel like petrol and diesel.
- As per the announcement, this action will be done in a phased manner but the government will ensure complete conversion of government vehicles.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is on a two day visit to India
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is on a two-day visit to India. Dr. Merkel will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding bilateral issues.
♦ Dr. Merkel paid tributes to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat.
♦ Angela Merkel will have delegation-level talks with an aim to strengthen bilateral and multi-lateral efforts to combat terrorism and extremism.
- Pasighat to host multilingual writers meet
- East Siang HQ Pasighat of Arunachal Pradesh is to host Multilingual writers meet at the College of Horticulture & Forestry on 2nd and 3rd November 2019. The event is held for the first time ever.
- Hosted by: The meet is being hosted by the Sahitya Akademi, in collaboration with Manipur-based Central Agricultural University, Imphal and the Arunachal Pradesh Literary Society (APLS), Itanagar. This event is the second national-level event that is being hosted in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Chhath festival began in Bihar
- The four days long Chhath festival, worship of the Sun God, began in Bihar.
- The festival is celebrated in Bihar, Jharkhand, Eastern Uttar Pradesh. In 2019, the festival is celebrated from 31 October to 3 November.
- Nahay Khay is celebrated on 31 October, Kharna is celebrated on 1 November, Sandhya Arghya is celebrated on 2 November and Usha Arghya is celebrated on 3 November.
- Karthik Chhath: Karthik Chhath falls on the sixth day after Diwali. It is celebrated in October and November.
- Spain to host COP25 Summit
- Spain has offered to host COP-25 UN Climate Change Summit as it was called off by Chile due to heaving anti-government protests.
- Spain is all set to hold general elections on November 10 and schedule dates of COP25 are December 2-13.
- Earlier, Sebastian Pinera, Chile’s President, said that Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez had made a generous offer to host COP-25 summit in Madrid.
- Korea test fired new multiple rocket launcher
- North Korea conducted its third test-firing of a new super-large multiple rocket launcher.
- It has the ability to destroy enemy targets in surprise attacks.
- The North previously tested the system in August and September 2019.
- The two projectiles were launched from an area near Pyongyang, the North Korean capital.
- The missiles travelled more than 321 kilometers cross-country and landed in the waters of the North’s eastern coast.
Banking & Finance
- ICICI Bank crosses milestone of issuing 2 million FASTag, highest in India
- ICICI Bank announced that it has crossed a milestone of issuing 2 million FASTag till date, the most by any financial institution in the country. The Bank aims to double the number in next six months.
- FASTag is a brand name owned by Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL) which carries out electronic tolling and other ancillary projects of NHAI. This Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) tag is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle. It is an easy to use, reloadable tag which enables automatic deduction of toll charges and lets the vehicle pass through the toll plaza without stopping for cash transaction.
- ICICI Bank is by far the leader in the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) market in terms of value as well as volume. The Bank commands more than half of the market share in terms of the number of transactions on FASTag. In terms of value, the Bank’s share is even higher, at 60%, of the market. In September 2019, out of 29 million FASTag transactions across the industry, ICICI Bank undertook nearly 15.4 million transactions, totaling nearly Rs. 395 crore.
- Shiva Thapa, Pooja Rani bags gold at Olympic Test Event
- Shiva Thapa (63 kg) and Pooja Rani (75 kg) won gold medals in the Olympic test event for boxing. Ashish (69 kg) had to settle for the silver medal with a loss in the final.
- Shiva Thapa defeated Kazakhstan’s national champion and Asian bronze medalist Sanatali Tolatayev (5-0) in a one-sided match.
- Pooja Rani won the gold by defeating Kaitlyn Parker of Australia. She had also won a silver medal in the Asian Championship this year.
Appointment & Resignation
- Former Mumbai Police Commissioner DattaPadsalgikar appointed as Deputy NSA
- Former Mumbai Police Commissioner and Maharashtra DGP DattaPadsalgikarhas been appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor (NSA).
- Currently, there are two deputy NSAs, former RAW chief RajinderKhanna and former IFS officer Pankaj Saran.
- The Deputy NSAs are tasked to assist the National Security Advisor of India. The current NSA is AjitDoval.
- Lt Gen ArvindDutta appointed Adjutant General of Indian Army
- Lieutenant General ArvindDutta has been appointed the next Adjutant General of the Indian Army.
- He will succeed Lieutenant Gen Ashwini Kumar, who will superannuate on October 31.
Award & Honors
- NawazuddinSiddiqui Awarded Golden Dragon at Cardiff International Film Festival
- Actor NawazuddinSiddiqui has been honoured with the prestigious Golden Dragon Award at the Cardiff International Film Festival for excellence in cinema in the global arena
- Veteran Hollywood actor Judi Dench also honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The festival was held from October 24 to 27. NawazuddinSiddiqui also served as an official jury member for the festival.
- Latest Guinness World Records Include 80 Indian Feats
- The longest hair on a teenager, the shortest woman alive, and the largest collection of paper cups are among the 80 record-breaking achievements by Indians that have made it to the latest edition of the Guinness World Records, publisher Penguin Random House.
- The book, “Guinness World Records 2020”, lists thousands of new record titles and holders that will “educate and entertain curious readers of all ages” across topics such as the classics amazing animals, jaw-dropping geography and spectacular sporting achievements to the cutting-edge including streaming, viral sports, robots, and artificial intelligence.
- While 16-year-old Nilanshi Patel recorded the longest hair on a teenager for her 5 ft 7 inches long hair, JyotiAmage of Nagpur made the cut for her 24.7 inch height, making her the shortest woman living (mobile).
- The record of “longest fingernails on a single hand” was achieved by ShridharChillal from Pune City who boasts of an aggregate length of 909.6 cm (358.1 in) on his left hand.
- Jotshna Mishra and DurgaCharan found themselves a place in the records for “The longest journey by scheduled public transport in a single country” by travelling for 29,119 km across India, from February 18 to March 30, 2018.
- V Sankaranarayanan from Tamil Nadu recorded the largest collection of paper cups with 736 units, while Naveen Kumar recorded the fastest time to skate under 10 bars at 2.06 seconds, the book noted.
Science, Space & Technology
- ISRO to set up Space Technology Cell in Delhi
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in collaboration with IIT Delhi going to set up a space technology cell in New Delhi.
- Earlier, Space Technology Cells (STCs) have been set up at IIT Kanpur, IIT Roorkee, IIT Kharagpur, IISc Bangalore.
- It will also help the institution in various research areas like Artificial Intelligence, smart manufacturing, textile and nanotechnology.
- China to launch 5G mobile phone services
- China’s three state telecoms, namely China Mobile’s, China Unicom, and China Telecom’s, announced that it is to launch 5G mobile phone services.
- The move is to support China’s ambitions to become a technology superpower.
- China’s commercialization of 5G will is aimed to provide a major boost to some of the countries’ largest technology companies that are responsible for building nearly half of the country’s 5G network.
- Centre to set up Bamboo Technology Parks in JK and Ladakh UTs
- Centre has announced that it is to set up Bamboo Technology Parks would be set up in the two new Union Territories (UTs) of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- The decision was drawn in a meeting chaired by Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) with officials of the Ministry and the North Eastern Council (NEC).
- Telugu actress Geetanjali Ramakrishna passed away
- Veteran Telugu actress Geetanjali Ramakrishna has passed away
- The veteran actor had appeared in several films in Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Hindi, and had also worked with cinema giants like NT Rama Rao.
- Originally born as Mani in Kakinada in Andhra Pradesh, she was married to popular actor Ramakrishna
- Haryana Day observed
- Haryana state has turned 53 years old today. On this occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted and congratulated the people of Haryana.
- Haryana was formed on 1 November 1966. It was formed as a new state from East Punjab on linguistic basis.
- The National Capital Delhi is surrounded by Haryana on three sides and consequently, the southern region of Haryana is included in the National Capital Region for the purpose of planned development.
- World Vegan Day is celebrated on 1 November
- World Vegan Day is observed on 1 November. The Day provides an opportunity to promote the benefits of a vegan diet and veganism in general.
- On the Day, vegan groups and practitioners organize workshops to highlight the importance of animal rights.
- Vegan: Donald Watson coined the term Vegan which was derived from the word Vegetarian in 1944.
- During that time, the differentiation was that Vegans did not consume dairy products.