- Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2019 tabled in Lok Sabha
- The Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was moved in Lok Sabha on November 18, 2019, for consideration.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Chit Funds Act of 1982.
- The Act regulates the chit funds and prohibits the creation of a fund without the sanction of a state government.
- The Bill specifies several names which may refer to a chit fund.
- NITI Aayog releases report on Health System for New India: Building Blocks
- A report titled “Health System for a New India: Building Blocks” was released by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar on November 18, 2019.
- The report was released in the presence of philanthropist Bill Gates.
- The report presents various strategic choices available to India for boosting its health system.
- The 250th session of Rajya Sabha commenced on 18 November
- The 250th session of Rajya Sabha is to commence on 18 November 2019.
- As a part of the observation, Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu released a publication that details the journey of the upper house since its first sitting in May 1952.
Publication on the journey of RS:
♦ The publication is of 118 pages with 29 chapters. It is expected to serve as a ready reckoner on the history of Rajya Sabha.
- Yogi Adityanath inaugurates North India’s 1st sugar mill which will produce ethanol
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has inaugurated North India’s first sugar mill which will produce ethanol direct from sugarcane.
- The mill was inaugurated in Pipraich area of Gorakhpur, which is a unit of Uttar Pradesh Sugar and Sugarcane Development Corporation Limited.
- The mills, which previously produced around 8,000 quintals of sugar, will now produce more than 50,000 quintals of sugar every day.
- Indra Nooyi inducted into the Smithsonians National Portrait Gallery
- Former Pepsico head Indra Nooyi was inducted into the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery along with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
- They were recognized for their accomplishments that impacted America’s shared history, development, and culture.
- Indra Nooyi: In 2006, Indra Nooyi became the first woman to helm the global food and beverage giant PepsiCo. On 2 October 2018, she stepped down as PepsiCo’s CEO after 24 years with the company.
Banking & Finance
- ADB, India sign USD 91 Million Loan for Water Management in Karnataka
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and India on November 18, 2019 signed a USD 91 million loan agreement to renovate the Vijayanagara Channel irrigation systems in Karnataka.
- The project aims to prepare river basin management plan for the Krishna river basin to improve the efficiency of irrigation water.
- This funding will help the Government in the modernization of over 440 kilometres of major and minor distributaries and canals.
- Korea’s Kim Joo Hyung wins Panasonic Open
- South Korea’s Kim Joo Hyung has won the Panasonic Open held at the Classic Golf and Country Club in Gurugram, India.
- India’s Shiv Kapur finished tied runner-up with S. Chikkarangappa.
- The victory has made Hyung the second-youngest winner behind Thailand’s Chinnarat Phadugsil on the Tour at 17 years and 149 days.
- Harmeet Desai claims Indonesia Open TT Championship
- Indian paddler Harmeet Desai wins men’s singles title at International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Challenge Indonesia Open 2019 Table Tennis tournament held at Batam, Indonesia.
- Harmeet had defeated compatriot Amalraj Anthony by 11-9, 9-11, 11-9, 11-9, 10-12, 11-9 score.
- Sarita Devi elected as member of AIBA athletes commission
- Laishram Sarita Devi (Manipur) is among the 6 boxers from 5 continents who were elected as members of AIBA Athletes Commission.
- She was inspired by Muhammad Ali’s achievements and turned professional in boxing in the year 2000. She is DSP in Manipur Police.
- The election of the Athletes Commission members was organized during AIBA Men and Women World Boxing Championships 2019 in Russia.
- Boxers from all over the world voted for new members – one per continent, except Europe which has two representatives.
Appointment & Resignation
- HRD Ministry constitutes a committee for restoration of normal functioning in JNU
- The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development on November 18, 2019, constituted a 3-member committee to recommend ways for the restoration of normal functioning at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- The members of the committee are former UGC Chairman VS Chauhan, UGC Secretary Rajnish Jain and AICTE chairman Anil Sahasrabudhe.
- The committee will advise the JNU administration for quick resolution of controversial issues.
- For this purpose, the committee will hold dialogue with the students and JNU administration.
- Reliance Communications Chairman Anil Ambani & four directors resign from their posts
- Chairman Anil Ambani and 4 other directors resigned from Reliance Communications, amidst the insolvency process of the company.
- RCom displayed a consolidated loss of Rs 30,142 crore in July-September 2019 quarter.
- This was the second-highest loss posted by any Indian company till date.