- Rajnath Singh visited Kranji War Memorial
- The Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited Singapore’s Kranji War Memorial and paid tribute to those who lost their lives while on duty in World War II.
- The memorial is dedicated to the men and women of India, Britain, Australia, Canada, Sri Lanka, Malaya, Netherlands and New Zealand who fought Japanese forces to defend Singapore and Malaya in the Second World War.
- Malaya was become Malaysia in 1963, along with North Borneo, Sarawak and Singapore. But Singapore separated from this union in 1965.
- Cabinet approves establishment of National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa in Leh
- The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of the National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa in Leh as an autonomous organization.
- Sowa-Rigpa is a traditional Tibetan system of medicine practised in the Himalayan belt of India. It is popular in Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, West Bengal’s Darjeeling, Himachal Pradesh and the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- The Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the establishment of the NISR as autonomous body under the Ministry of AYUSH at an estimated cost of Rs 47.25 crore.
- Cabinet approved the proposal to mitigate financial stress in the Telecom Services Sector
- The Union Cabinet approved the proposal for Mitigating financial stress being faced by the Telecom Services Sector on 20 November.
Provisions of the approval:
♦ Under the approval, the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) will give an option to the Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) to defer payment of the spectrum auction installments that are due for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, either for one or both years.
- Cabinet approves 2019 Taxation Laws Amendment Bill
- The PM Narendra Modi-led Union Cabinet approved the proposal for introducing the Taxation Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- The Bill replaces the Ordinance that was promulgated in September 2019.
- The Ordinance made certain amendments in the Income-Tax (IT) Act 1961 and the Finance (No.2) Act 2019.
- Aruna Bhoomi: First Hindi Newspaper in Arunachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu recently launched the state’s first Hindi newspaper ‘Arun Bhoomi’.
- The Chief Minister hoped that a large population of the country, who speak and read Hindi, will get news, information and insights about Arunachal Pradesh.
- This newspaper will be published and edited by Takam Sonia. He also runs an Arunachal Hindi organization.
- Robot CYBIRA launched to aid cops in Visakhapatnam to take complaints
- Visakhapatnam Police have launched first of its kind cybersecurity interactive robotic agent robot, CYBIRA stationed at Maharanipeta Police Station, which can automatically take complaints in an effective manner.
- A start-up company Robo Coupler Private Limited has designed a robot ‘CYBIRA’ (cybersecurity interactive robotic agent) for registering and disposing of complaints at the police station in an effective manner.
- The new facility was launched by the Commissioner of Police (CP) R K Meena.
- CYBIRA will deliver an acknowledgement to the respective complainant and investigating officer to resolve the issue within 24 hours. Each complaint will have a deadline for a maximum of three days to get resolved.
- Bengaluru to get free Wi Fi for 1 hour each day
- Karnataka State has launched a scheme to provide free Wi-Fi services to Bengaluru for one hour each day.
- The announcement was made by Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka CN Ashwath Narayan on 20 November.
Free Wi-Fi scheme:
♦ The scheme has been launched after a consistent demand from the public, tourists, and many other stakeholders to have such an infrastructure.
♦ The scheme will be implemented in nine months.
- Nepal Cabinet reshuffle: Six new ministers inducted
- The Prime Minister of Nepal, KPS Oli has reshuffled the cabinet with six new ministers and three ministers of state.
- New Cabinet Ministers are – Parvat Gurung (Minister for Women, Children and Senior Citizens), Hridayesh Tripathi (Minister for Federal Affairs and General Administration), Basanta Kumar Nembang (Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transport).
- Other new ministers are – Ghanashyam Bhusal (Minister for Agriculture and Livestock Development), Rameshwar Raya Yadav (Minister for Labour, Employment and Social Security) and Lekh Raj Bhatta (Minister for Industry, Commerce and Supplies).
- PM Abe Shinzo became the longest serving PM of Japan
- Prime Minister Abe Shinzo became the longest-serving prime minister in the history of Japan’s constitutional government as on November 20, 2019.
- He has served 2,887 days so far.
- He surpassed the previous record held by Katsura Taro with a total of 2,886 days in office.
- Longest-serving PM: The top four longest-serving prime ministers of Japan are Abe Shinzo, Katsura Taro, Sato Eisaku, and Ito Hirobumi.
- They are all natives of Yamaguchi Prefecture.
- Worlds first Muslim yoga camp is being held on Kotdwar
- The world’s first Muslim yoga camp began at Kanva Ashram in Kotdwar town of Uttarakhand on 20 November 2019. The camp will be held from 20-24 November 2019.
♦ The yoga camp shows the health benefits associated with practising Yoga.
♦ Yoga elevates one’s heart, mind, and thoughts to such a level that the individual begins to care for all. It leads people towards universal welfare. ♦ Yoga elevates the effect on the way one looks upon… READ MORE
- BEE organized workshop to deploy EV Charging Infrastructure
- The Ministry of Power organized a one-day international workshop on Policy Framework to deploy Electric Vehicles Charging Infrastructure on 20 November in New Delhi.
- The workshop was jointly organized by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power, and International Energy Agency (IEA).
Business & Economy
- Satya Nadella tops Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year list
- Microsoft’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella has occupied the top spot in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list, an annual compilation that also includes Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga and Arista head Jayshree Ullal.
- Banga is ranked 8th, while Ullal comes in at the 18th spot in the list for which Fortune looked at 10 financial factors ranging from total return to shareholders to return on capital. Both Banga and Ullal are of Indian-origin.
- Elizabeth Gaines of Fortescue Metals Group is on second, Brian Niccol is on third.
- Virat Kohli PETA India Person of the Year
- Team India captain Virat Kohli has been chosen as Person of the Year 2019 by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).
- Kohli has been given this honour due to the work done to improve the condition of animals in India and abroad.
- Earlier, Kohli wrote a letter to the authorities of PETA India for the release of an elephant being used for riding in the Amber Fort. This elephant named Malati was beaten badly by the people.
Appointment & Resignation
- Abhay has been appointed as the DGP of Odisha
- The Odisha State government has appointed senior IPS officer Abhay as the Director-General of Police (DGP) Odisha.
- He was appointed based on the recommendation of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- Abhaya will replace IPS officer BK Sharma, who is at present Director, Fire Service, and holding the additional charge of DGP of the state.
- BK Sharma has been transferred and posted as OSD, Home Department of the State.
Science, Space & Technology
- NASA confirmed water vapor in Europa
- NASA, the US space agency, has confirmed the presence of water vapor on one of the 79 moons of Jupiter.
- The researchers detected plume-like forms of water vapor above Europa’s icy surface, which were detected as a wavelength of emitted infrared light.
- Water vapor in Europa: Europa released more than 5,000 pounds of water per second.
- This amount of water is enough to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool in only a few minutes.
- World Television Day is observed on 21 November
- World Television Day is observed on 21 November every year.
- The day is observed to acknowledge the role of broadcast media.
- On this day, the journalists, writers, bloggers, and others who are associated with the medium promote the role of television in communication and globalization.
- History: UNGA hosted the first World Television Forum was held on 21-22 November 1996.