- SC refuses to overturn NGT ban on ROs
- The Supreme Court has refused to interfere with the ban imposed by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on the use of ROs in Delhi.
- The apex court asked the RO Manufacturers Association to go to the Center to present its case.
- The Bharat Water Quality Association, representing the RO manufacturers, has filed a petition challenging the NGT’s order.
- Only 9% Indian kids get proper nutritious food: Smriti Irani
- Women and Child Welfare Minister Smriti Irani said in Lok Sabha that just 9% of the kids in India are getting proper nutritious food.
- She also informed that even rich and affluent families are not giving appropriate nutritious food to their kids.
- Smriti Irani informed the house about various programmes initiated by the government to create awareness on malnutrition.
- Shivangi will participate in Naval Operation
- Lieutenant Shivangi is the first female pilot of the Indian Navy. She will soon be involved in naval operations.
- She will join the Navy on 2 December after the completion of operational training. With this, she will become the first woman pilot of the Indian Navy.
- She will be allowed to fly Dornier aircraft after completion of her training. Earlier in the Navy, women officers served as air traffic control officers and supervisors.
- Cabinet approves amendments in TOT model
- The Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs approved amendments in National Highways Authority of India’s (NHAI’s) Toll Operate Transfer (TOT) model to make it more attractive for private investors.
- The TOT model is part of the government’s efforts to monetize public infrastructure and build new assets.
- As a part of the changes, public funded projects– engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) and Build Operate Transfer (BOT) — that are operational for more than a year after beginning commercial operations can be monetized through TOT model. Till now, the model authorized NHAI to monetize such projects that were operational for atleast two years.
- Another key change that the Cabinet approved is that now NHAI has been allowed to vary the concession period of toll projects between 15-30 years.
- The government has identified around 75 operational highway projects for potential monetization under the TOT, bundled into 10 separate bids to attract economics of scale for the private sector.
- I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Film Bazaar on sidelines of golden jubilee edition of IFFI 2019
- The Film Bazaar, which is being organised by the National Film Development Corporation, was inaugurated by the Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar on the sidelines of the golden jubilee edition of the International Film Festival of India.
- The Film Bazaar encourages creative and financial collaboration between the South Asian and International film communities
- ‘Film Bazaar’ is held every year at the Marriott Resort in Goa between November 20 and 24.
- E-Cigarette bill banning production, import & sale of E- Cigarette & related products introduced in Lok Sabha
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan today introduced a bill to prohibit the production, manufacture, import, export, transport, sale, distribution, storage and advertisement of electronic cigarettes
- Home Ministry on 20th of November issued an order to all states and UTs, enabling law enforcement officials to conduct searches on-premises for the product without a warrant.
- A punishment of one-year imprisonment and a fine of one lakh rupees have been proposed for first-time
- The storage of e-cigarettes is punishable with imprisonment of up to six months or a fine of up to 50 thousand rupees or both.
- E-cigarettes are the most common form of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems.
- These are basically devices that do not burn or use tobacco leaves. Instead, they vaporise a solution using a battery
- Assam government releases the new Land Policy 2019 after 30 years
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal released the new Land Policy 2019 in Guwahati.
- The Land Policy was approved by Cabinet on 21st October and it has been prepared by the Revenue and Disaster Management Department after 30 years. It was last prepared in 1989.
- Chief Minister stated that the state government has given a lot of emphasis in preparing the Policy to safeguard the interest of the indigenous people. The Policy would remove complications regarding land allotments and settlements.
- Bangalore is India’s top-ranked city in new global prosperity index
- Bangalore emerged as India’s highest ranked city at No. 83 in a new index of the world’s 113 cities in terms of economic and social inclusivity, topped by Zurich in Switzerland.
- Delhi at 101 and Mumbai at 107 are the other Indian cities to make at the index, with the top 20 awarded a PICSA Seal as the world’s highest-ranked cities building inclusive prosperity.
- Bilbao, the host city of the new index, is ranked at 20.
- GeM signed an MoU with NCT of Delhi
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed an MoU with the Government of the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi.
- The MoU aims to facilitate buyer organizations of Delhi towards a market-based procurement.
- The move is because Delhi has been consistently among the top buyers on GeM.
- The MoU was signed by Rajeev Kandpal, CFO & Joint Secretary of GeM and Neeraj Bharati, Special Secretary Finance of Government of NCT of Delhi.
- CM BS Yediyurappa inaugurated the Kalaburagi airport
- Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa is to inaugurate the Kalaburagi airport in Kalaburagi, Karnataka.
- CM Yediyurappa laid the foundation stone for building the airport on 14 June 2018.
- The state government had entered into an agreement with Maytas Infra for 30 years for the implementation of the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- US sanctions sale of 13 MK45 Naval Guns
- The US has approved the sale of 13 MK45 naval guns to India. The total cost of the deal is approximately one billion dollars.
- BAE Systems will be the main contractor in the deal. The MK-45 gun system will enhance the Indian Navy’s anti-surface warfare and anti-air defence mission capability.
- These guns will prove useful for the Indian Navy in dealing with regional challenges.
Banking & Finance
- RBI supersedes DHFL board, to initiate insolvency proceedings
- Reserve Bank of India superseded the board of debt-laden Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL) as it intends to shortly initiate process of resolution of the company under the insolvency and bankruptcy rules
- The company is all set to become India’s first financier to land up in bankruptcy courts. The move comes after the Centre on November 15 empowered the central bank to refer stressed NBFCs and HFCs having assets worth at least Rs 500 crore to insolvency court.
- R Subramaniakumar, ex-MD and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank has been appointed as the administrator.
- The 13th edition of the I League was launched in New Delhi
- The 13th edition of the I-League was launched in New Delhi on 21 November 2019.
- The league will commence on 30 November 2019 at Rajiv Gandhi stadium in Aizawl, Mizoram.
♦ The I-League will have 11 teams with a match between former champions Mohun Bagan FC and Aizawl FC.
♦ The winning team in the league will get prize money of Rs.1 crore and the runners up will get Rs.60 lakh.
Award & Honors
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019
- The Union Minister of the Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizers, Shri D.V. Sadananda Gowdaand the Union Minister of State of the Ministry of Jal Shakti, Shri Rattan Lal Kataria, conferred the Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019 awards to top ranked states, union territories, and districts in the various categories on the occasion of World Toilet Day at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, New Delhi.
- The top ranked state – Tamil Nadu, and the top ranked district – Peddapalli (Telangana), along with the state with the maximum citizen participation – Uttar Pradesh, had also been felicitated by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, at the Swachh Bharat Diwas event commemorating the 150thbirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in Ahmedabad on 2nd October, 2019.
- Corporates were also felicitated for their contribution under the Swachhata Hi Seva campaign this year, for their efforts towards effective plastic waste management. These were: the Cement Manufacturers Association (CMA), Hindustan Unilever Limited and AMUL.
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) had commissioned “Swachh Survekshan Grameen-2019” (SSG 2019) through an independent survey agency to develop ranking of all districts of India on the basis of quantitative and qualitative sanitation (Swachhata) parameters.
- This ranking was done based on a comprehensive set of parameters including surveys of public places like schools, Anganwadis, PHCs, Haat/ Bazaars, Panchayat and citizen’s perception of Swachhata and their recommendations for improvement of the program and data from the SBM-G IMIS.
- Greta Thunberg awarded international children’s peace prize
- Swedish teen activist Greta Thunberg was awarded an international children’s peace prize, for her work in the struggle against climate change which has resonated with schoolchildren across the world.
- Cameroonian peace activist Divina Maloum, aged 15, also received the International Children’s Peace Prize, awarded by the Dutch KidsRight organisation, which has been handing out the prize since 2005.
- The International Children’s Peace Prize is given annually by the International children’s rights organization KidsRights based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- It is given to a child who has made a significant contribution to advocating children’s rights and improving the situation of vulnerable children such as orphans, child labourers and children with HIV/AIDS.
- Susan Choi Wins National Book Award for ‘Trust Exercise’
- Susan Choi won the National Book Award for fiction for “Trust Exercise,” a novel set in the 1980s at a competitive performing arts school, where two students fall in love.
- Choi, a Pulitzer finalist in 2004 for her novel, “American Woman,”
- The award for nonfiction went to Sarah M. Broom for “The Yellow House