- India gifts 2 electric vehicles to Pashupati Temple Trust to help elderly pilgrims
- The government gifted two electric vehicles to Pashupati Area Development Trust (PADT) in Nepal to help elderly pilgrims and differently-abled visiting the holy temple.
- After handing over the eco-friendly vehicles, manufactured by India’s Gayam Motor Works, Namrita Puri, president of Indian Women’s Association (IWA) in Kathmandu said that the vehicles will also create employment opportunities for two women.
- It provides a forum for the interaction with Nepali women and works to promote goodwill and friendship between the Indian and Nepali community.
- The two 8 seater electric vehicles with high-end Lithium-ion batteries were handed over to Pradip Dhakal, Member-Secretary of the PADT.
- The PADT is established to conserve and operate the Pashupatinath Temple and adjoining Area, which is enlisted as UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.
- Ministry of Shipping approves Loktak Inland Waterways Project
- The Ministry of Shipping gave approval for the development of Loktak Inland Waterways Improvement Project in Manipur under the Central Sector scheme.
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs 25.58 crore. The Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in the Northeast located at Moirang in Manipur.
- The project will develop the inland water transport connectivity in the Northeast States and give a boost to the tourism sector also.
- M S Pawar commissioned Indian Navys sixth Dornier aircraft squadron
- The Indian Navy has commissioned its sixth Dornier aircraft squadron in the Porbandar town of Gujarat.
- It aims to give a fillip to coastal security near the sea border with Pakistan.
- It was commissioned by Deputy Chief of Naval Staff Vice-Admiral M S Pawar.
Dornier aircraft squadron:
♦ The Indian Naval Air Squadron 314 is called Raptors.
♦ It will operate with four newly-inducted, next-generation Dornier aircraft
- CM Arvind Kejriwal flagged off 100 standard floor buses
- The Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal flagged off 100 standard floor buses on 28 November.
- The buses are equipped with CCTV cameras, GPS trackers, hydraulic lifts, and a panic button under the cluster scheme.
- The addition of new buses is aimed to resolve the shortage of public transportation in the Capital.
- Newly launched Buses: Most of these buses run between Old Delhi Railway station and Nilothi, Bakoli Temple, Mubarakpur Dabas, Rohini Sector 23 and Lumpur Border.
- Centre approved additional houses under PMAY G for Tripura
- Centre has approved additional houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G) for Tripura State for the financial year 2019-20.
- The Union Ministry of Rural Development sanctioned 18,338 additional houses for the state on 29 November.
- Implementation: The first installment for the implementation of the project by the Central government has been released.
- The Centre’s share construction of the additional houses is Rs.109.10 crore.
- India to announce LoC of Rs.3,230 crore to Sri Lanka
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a line of credit of Rs.3,230 crore (approx) to Sri Lanka financial assistance and $50 million to fight terrorism.
- The decision comes after the talks held between PM Modi and Sri Lanka’s newly elected President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
- Rajapaksa’s visit to India: The newly elected Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa is on a three-day visit to India.
- India, Singapore to hold joint training exercise
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) are to conduct the Joint Military Training (JMT) from 31 October to 12 December at the Kalaikunda Air Force Station in West Bengal.
- The exercise commemorates the 10th edition of the JMT.
♦ For the first time, the exercise was expanded to include an air-sea training component with assets from the Indian Navy.
♦ The training included both air-to-air and air-to-surface scenarios.
Banking & Finance
- ADB clears $250-mn loan to help EESL expand energy efficiency investments
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan of USD 250 million (about Rs 1,775 crore) as part of an assistance package to EESL to expand energy efficiency investments in India.
- Activities to be undertaken by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) in eligible states include energy efficiency opportunities not targeted by traditional energy service company investments, such as smart meters, distributed solar photovoltaic systems, and e-vehicles.
- The total cost of the project is USD 592 million, of which the Clean Technology Fund will provide USD 46 million to be administered by ADB, and the EESL will contribute USD 296 million.
- Accompanying the loan will be a technical assistance (TA) of USD 2 million to support EESL in implementing the project, due for completion in March 2025.
- Odisha to host 2023 men’s hockey World Cup
- The 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup will be held in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced.
- India will host the Men’s Hockey World Cup for the second consecutive time after the country was picked to stage the game’s showpiece event in 2023 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) earlier this month.
- The tournament will be held from January 13 to 29.
- The state capital is also one of the venues for the 2020 FIFA Women’s U-17 World Cup.
- FIFA Rankings: India drop two places to be ranked 108
- India rank 108th in the world and 18th in Asia in the latest FIFA Rankings.
- With Belgium continuing to stand atop, followed closely by France and Brazil, the top 10 teams in the world remain unaltered with the exception of Croatia (6) doing one better over Portugal.
- Deepika won gold at the Continental Qualification Tournament
- Indian archer Deepika Kumari won gold at the Continental Qualification Tournament held on the sidelines of the 21st Asian Archery Championships in Bangkok, China.
- Also, Ankita Bhakat won silver at the tournament.
- Deepika defeated Nur Afisa Abdul Halil of Malaysia and secured 7-2 to win the title.
- Ankita defeated Lam Shuk Ching Ada of Hong Kong and secured 7-1 to win the medal.
Appointment & Resignation
- Uddhav Thackeray sworn in as Maharashtra Chief Minister
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray was sworn in as the 18th chief minister of Maharashtra.
- Thackeray was sworn in by Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari along with six Cabinet ministers — two each from the Sena, Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
Science, Space & Technology
- ISRO transferred space grade Li Ion cell technology to BHEL
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) transferred its indigenous technology to produce space-grade lithium-ion cells (Li-ion cells) to Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) as per the TTA signed in March 2018.
- BHEL is setting up the Li-Ion production facility near Bangalore in Karnataka.
- The announcement was given by the Union Minister of Atomic Energy and Space Dr. Jitendra Singh.
- Former Japanese PM Yasuhiro Nakasone passed away
- Former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone passed away.
- He was 101 years old. He is known for his friendship with the 40th U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- He was one of Japan’s longest-reigning premiers.
- Yasuhiro Nakasone: Nakasone served as the Prime Minister of Japan from 1982 to 1987.
- His reign boosted Japan’s global profile.
- He was on 27 May 1918 in Takasaki, northwest of Tokyo.
- International Day of Solidarity with Palestinian People
- The General Assembly in 1977 by the adoption of resolution 32/40 B declared 29 November as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
- On this day, the Assembly adopted resolution 181 (II) on the partition of Palestine in 1947. It is also known as Partition Resolution.