- Government launches app for filing consumer complaints
- The government launched a mobile app to help consumers register complaints easily and get redressal within 60 days.
- The complaints which are simple in nature will be resolved within 15 days, while complicated ones will be redressed in 60 days.
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan launched the ‘Consumer App’
- The ‘Consumer App’ is available for free in two languages including English and Hindi. It can be downloaded on Android and iOS platforms.
- This is an additional platform that the government has created for filing consumer complaints. Consumer helpline and consumer courts will continue to play their role.
- Consumers have to register on the mobile app for filing complaint on issues related to 42 sectors like airlines, banking and insurance.
- Besides, consumers through the mobile app can offer suggestion to the government. They can also benefit from other features provided in the mobile app.
- The mobile app has important links related to consumers, details of each sectors like refund rules and others.
- SmritiIrani Inaugurates India’s Largest ‘Charkha’ Made of Waste Plastic in Noida
- India’s largest ‘charkha’ (spinning wheel) made of used plastic waste was inaugurated on the eve of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
- The 1,650-kg spinning wheel was inaugurated by Union Minister SmritiIrani, GautamBuddh Nagar MP Mahesh Sharma, Noida MLA Pankaj Singh and Noida Authority CEO RituMaheshwari. The spinning wheel has been installed in Sector 94 near the Mahamaya flyover.
- The ‘charkha’, which symbolises Gandhi’s dream of Swadeshi (self sufficing and self reliance), measures 14ft, 20ft and 8ft and is made of 1,250 kg of used plastic.
- The charkha has been recognised as the largest made of used plastic waste in the country by India Book of Records.
- Irani, the Women and Child Development minister, also inaugurated a ‘Pink Toilet’ in Sector 39 and flagged off 15 garbage collection vehicles.
- A 2-day national workshop ‘Arogya Manthan’ held in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated a 2-day national workshop ‘Arogya Manthan’ in New Delhi which was held on September 30- October 1, 2019. It was organised by the National Health Authority (NHA) to mark the first anniversary of Ayushman Bharat- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), which was launched on September 23, 2018 at Ranchi, Jharkhand by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The names of 111 hospitals found involved in corruption and fraud were put up on NHA’s website as part of the government’s “Name and Shame” initiative to create deterrence among healthcare establishments.
- Award: Jammu and Kashmir was awarded the Best Learning and Sharing Space Award 2019 as it had covered 60% of the beneficiary families, with regard to golden card generation, in less than the first six months of its implementation.
- India achieves one-crore LED street light mark installed under the Street Light National Programme
- India has achieved one-crore LED(Light Emitting Diode) street light mark with the 1croreth LED street light switched on by union Power Minister R K Singh by a remote switch. The lightings are installed under Street Light National Programme (SLNP) implemented by state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) and are to achieve 1.34 crore LED street lights installation by March 2020.
♦The EESL plans to bring Rs 8,000 crore investment by 2024 to cover entire rural India in next 4-5 years. Currently 1,502 urban local bodies (ULBs) across India have enrolled in the programme where work of 900 ULBs have already been completed.
♦To bring large scale transformation, EESL adopted Pay-As-You Save model where EESL makes the entire investment in the LED light installation and the municipalities pay EESL from their savings in energy and maintenance costs over a 7-year contract period.
- 3 railway stations in Rajasthan emerged as top clean stations: Railway cleanliness survey 2019
- Three railway stations of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Durgapura have topped the Railway Cleanliness Survey 2019, conducted at 720 railway stations by the Ministry of Railways.
♦Mumbai’s Andheri, Virar and Naigaon stations have topped the total 109 stations in the category of suburban stations.
♦Among the railway divisions, North Western Railway stood at the top, South Eastern Railway at the second position and East Central Railway at the third position.
♦Since the year 2016, Quality Council of India (CCI) team formed by the Ministry of Railways has been conducting third party audit and cleanliness ranking of 407 major stations. This year, the survey was expanded to include 720 stations and suburban stations for the first time. Green measures were also included in the criteria for evaluation of stations.
♦Cleanliness has been checked from the platform of CCI team railway station to the stall, railway track, station premises, reservation counter, general ticket house. Apart from this, the condition of the Retiring Room, Waiting Room, Restaurant, Bathroom and Toilet were also checked.
- CBDT launches unique DIN for taxpayers
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) launched a computer-generated unique Document Identification Number (DIN) to ensure greater transparency and accountability in tax administration for taxpayers. It was created as per the direction of Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Minister of Finance and was made operative from October 1, 2019.
♦It is applicable to all kinds of communications from the income tax department related to assessment, appeals, investigation, penalty, and rectification among other things.
♦17,500 numbers were generated on the first day.
♦Any communication from Income Tax Department without a computer generated DIN is treated as invalid.
- Gandhi Film Festival to be organised in Mumbai
- Film Division in association with India Tourism will organise a Gandhi Film Festival at JB Hall in Mumbai from 2nd to 6th October.
- The festival as part of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary will showcase select films focussing on Swachh Bharat and non-violence.
- The festival will be inaugurated by noted actor DarshanJariwala on 2nd October.
- Movies to be screened include ‘Gandhi’ by Richard Attenborough, ‘The Making of Mahatma’ by ShyamBenegal and ‘Maine Gandhi to NahiMaara’ by JahnuBarua.
- Rajasthan becomes the third state to ban certain categories of pan masala
- Rajasthan became the third state in India to ban certain categories of pan masala containing magnesium carbonate, nicotine, tobacco, mineral oil and flavoured ‘supari’ under the Food Safety Act after Maharashtra and Bihar.
- Even the production, storage, distribution and sale of these products is banned.
- Chhattisgarh Government launched 5 new schemes
- Chhattisgarh government, under the leadership of Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched 5 new schemes namely Mukhyamantri Suposhan Abhiyaan, Mukhyamantri Haat Bazaar Clinic Yojana, Mukhyamantri Shahariya Slum Swasthya Yojana, Universal PDS Scheme and Mukhyamantri Ward Karyalaya .
- Under Mukhyamantri Suposhan Abhiyaan (Chief Minister Nutrition Scheme), which was started as a pilot project in June 2019, fresh and nutritious food is provided to malnourished children and anaemic women with the help of panchayats and self-help groups.
- Under the Mukhyamantri Haat Bazaar Clinic Yojana (Chief Minister Market Clinic Scheme), mobile teams of health department along with doctors and necessary equipment will visit local haat-bazaars to provide health facilities in remote tribal and forest areas of the state.
- J& K Governor Satya Pal Malik gives assent to National Law University Bill 2019
- The Governor of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Satya Pal Malik has given assent to the Jammu and Kashmir National Law University Bill 2019 for establishing a National Law University in the J&K, which will help disseminate knowledge about law and legal processes and promote legal awareness to achieve political, social and economic justice.
♦Jammu and Kashmir National Law University Act enactment will bring the state at par with other states where such universities have been established.
♦A conference of law ministers in India in the year 1995had adopted a resolution to set up a law school in each state modelled on the National Law School of India University in Bengaluru, Karnataka with the objective of improving the quality of professional legal education. Various states have enacted laws to establish such universities since then.
Banking & Finance
- Indian Army entered into the MoU with BoB for new, customised banking experience
- Bank of Baroda (BoB),Indian multinational, public sector bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Army with the aim to provide new and better banking experience for both serving & retired personnel of Indian Army.
♦Features of the MoU:
- Free personal accident insurance cover of Rs 30 lakhs (death and permanent total disability).
- Free Air Accident Insurance (AAI) cover of Rs 15 lakhs – Rs 50 lakhs.
- Overdraft facility (OD) upto three times of monthly net salary.
♦Pensioners of Indian Army upto the age of 70 years also avail these features.
♦The MoU was signed by Lt Gen Harsha Gupta, Director General (Manpower and Personnel Services) and Shri VS Khichi, Executive Director, Bank of Baroda in presence of Shri PS Jayakumar, Managing Director, Bank of Baroda.
Business & Economy
- Mahindra & Mahindra formed Joint venture with Ford through 51% stake in its Indian unit
- Indian multinational car manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra(M&M) formed a Joint Venture(JV) with Ford Motor Company(FMC) after it bought a 51% stake in the Indian unit of the United States’ Ford, thus will be managing Ford’s Indian Operations.
- M&M acquired 51% equity share capital of Ardour Automotive, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ford in India, thus leading to a JV with Ford. The transaction will be completed by the mid of 2020 and the equity value is likely to be Rs 657 crore.
♦ Established- 1945.
♦ Headquarters- Mumbai, Maharashtra.
♦ Parent organization- Mahindra Group.
♦ Chief Executive Officer- Anand Mahindra
Appointment & Resignation
- Economist Surjit S Bhalla appointed as Executive Director for India at IMF
- Economist Surjit S Bhalla was appointed as the Executive Director for India at the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Bhalla (71) will succeed former RBI deputy governor SubirGokarn, who died in the US on July 30 after a brief illness.
- Bhalla earlier served as a member of the prime minister’s economic advisory council but resigned earlier this year.
- KS Dhatwalia appointed new chief of PIB
- The Centre appointed senior Indian Information Service (IIS) official KS Dhatwalia as the new Director General of the Press Information Bureau (PIB).
- Dhatwalia, a 1984-batch IIS officer, will become the 28th DG of the PIB succeeding incumbent SitanshuRanjanKar.
- He will continue to hold the additional charge of Director General, Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
- KS Dhatwalia has worked in key positions in various Media Units of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Mallikarjuna Rao is appointed as the new MD and CEO of Punjab National Bank
- S. Mallikarjuna Rao was appointed as the Managing Director(MD)and Chief Executive of the Punjab National Bank(PNB). Currently serving as chief executive of the Allahabad Bank, Rao will replace Sunil Mehta of PNB and will head the Delhi based bank till September 18, 2021.
♦Appointment: The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved Department of Financial Services’ proposal for Rao’s appointment as PNB’s CEO. Rao had also previously worked as Executive Director(ED) in Syndicate Bank.
♦PNB is currently under three-way amalgamation process with Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) and United Bank of India.
- IAS officer Abhishek Singh was appointed as the chief executive officer of MyGov India
- Senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Abhishek Singh was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of the government’s citizen-centric online platform MyGov India.
- He replaces tech entrepreneur Arvind Gupta, whose tenure ended recently in July 2019.
- He currently serves as the Secretary (Joint Secretary level), in Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB).
- Former Indian cricketer, Kapil Dev resigned as chairman of CAC
- Following a conflict of interest complaint , India’s 1983 World Cup-winning captain , Kapil Dev has resigned as the chairman of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) days after Shanta Rangaswamy stepped down from the 3-member committee.
♦CAC also stars Anshuman Gaekwad in addition to Kapil and Shanta. The trio were named in the CAC after Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and V.V.S. Laxman refused to be part of the process for selecting India’s women’s coach in 2018.
♦The CAC made Ravi Shastri the head coach of Team India. Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) member Sanjeev Gupta filed a complaint against the CAC, where the coach-elect committee members are playing multiple roles simultaneously. Kapil Dev, along with being the head of CAC, is a commentator, owner of a Floodlight company and a member of the Indian Cricketers Association. Gaikwad, on the other hand, is a BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India)-accredited committee member besides owning an academy.
- A new book titled “The Tech Whisperer” penned by digital transformation expert Jaspreet Bindra launched
- A new book entitled “The Tech Whisperer”,written by digital transformation expert Jaspreet Bindra, features a chapter on ai (artificial intelligence).The book has been published by Penguin India .
- The Tech Whisperer, as the name suggests, describes and simplifies the most revolutionary technologies like AI(Artificial Intelligence), blockchain, Internet of things, virtual reality, etc. and narrates how companies can employ these to drive their digital transformation.
- The author refers to James Barrat’s book “Our Final Invention” which speculates that “AI will be the final invention by humankind.
- Book titled ‘The RSS: Roadmaps for the 21st Century’, written by Sunil Ambekar released
- The book titled ‘The RSS: Roadmaps for 21st Century’, written by Sunil Ambekar, the organising national secretary of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS), was released in New Delhi by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat.
- It is published by Rupa Books. It describes the challenges of 21st century social, cultural life and lists the RSS’ response to the same.
Science, Space & Technology
- Minor Planet Named After PanditJasraj, First Indian Musician to Receive this Honour
- A minor planet, between Mars and Jupiter, has been named after PanditJasraj, the doyen of Indian classical vocal music.
- International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named minor planet 2006 VP32 (number -300128), discovered on November 11, 2006 , as ‘Panditjasraj’.
- ‘Panditjasraj’ traverses the cosmos between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
- Mexican singer Jose Jose passes away in Florida, US
- Mexican singer and musician, Jose Romulo Sosa Ortiz , known by his stage name Jose Jose has passed away at a hospital in Homestead, Florida, United States(US) after a battle with Pancreatic cancer.He was 71.
- Born on 17 February 1948 at Mexico City in Mexico, he popularly called as “El Príncipe de la Canción” or “The Prince of Song”.
- He got his recognition in the music world after the singing ‘El Triste’ at a Latin music festival held in Mexico City in 1970. Over the course of his decades-long career, he sold more than 95 million records Globally.
- He has sung many superhit songs like De Pueblo en Pueblo,’ ‘Hasta Que Vuelvas,’ ‘Sentimientos,’ ‘Paloma’ and ‘Gavilan o Paloma.’. He was also awarded several awards in his 4-decade music career. He was nominated for the Grammy Award 6 times.
- International Day of Non-Violence
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on 2 October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi
- The United Nations General Assembly on June 15, 2007 has declared the 2nd October as International Day of Non-Violence