- Government launches Ganga AamantranAbhiyan, a month long exploratory open water rafting expedition
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched a unique initiative called ‘Ganga Amantran’ to connect with the stakeholders of the river. It is a pioneering exploratory open- water rafting and kayaking expedition on the Ganga river to be held between 10th October 2019 to 11 November 2019.
- The expedition will start at Devaprayag and culminate at Ganga Sagar covering the entire stratch of over 25,000 kilometres of the River.
- This is the first ever effort by National Mission for Clean Ganga to raft across the entire stretch of the river and also the longest ever social campaign undertaken through an adventure sporting activityy to spread the message of River Rejuvenation and Water Conservation on a massive scale.
- Ministry of Tourism organises first of its kind Adventure Trekking Training course in Ladakh
- Indian Institute of Skiing & Mountaineering (IISM) Gulmarg ,Ministry of Tourism, Government of India in association with Indian Institute of Travel & Tourism Management has organized an Adventure Tourism Training Courses in Trekking.
- The first of its kind in the region, this 10 days training course trains local youth in various aspects of mountain trekking and also gives them hands-on experience.
- This training program is aimed at developing the basic skills of Trekking in the youth who can later use these skills for becoming guides or entrepreneurs in the future.
- Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey inaugurated National e-Assessment Scheme of Income Tax department & New Delhi
- The Revenue Secretary Shri Ajay Bhushan Pandey who is also the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) inaugurated National e-Assessment Scheme (NeAS) in New Delhi.
- This e-Assessment scheme along with the National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC), would benefit the Income Tax(IT) department in imparting efficiency, transparency, accountability in the assessment process and would have no physical interface between taxpayers and tax officers.Section 143(3A) & (3B) of the IT Act empowered notification of E-assessment scheme.
National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC) :
♦This centre will look after the e-Assessment scheme for the income tax payers.
♦Principal Chief Commissioner: Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Krishna Mohan Prasad who is the first Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax(Pr.CCIT) of NeAC,will head the NeAC in Delhi.
- Telangana police becomes the first in country to integrate police patrol systems with passenger cabs
- In order to provide a safe & secure environment to passengers, especially women, the Telangana police in its 1st of its kind in the country, has taken up a high tech initiative to integrate their police patrol systems with passenger cabs. This is being done using police’s ‘Hawk-Eye’ app that is connected to every taxi aggregator apps that provides a cab service facility.
♦In case of emergency, the commuter can access the ‘emergency button’ installed in the related cab service app, the message will be transmitted to Hawk-Eye App through a back-end operational workflow. This will send the latitude and longitudinal coordinates of the passenger to the police & other details of the private cab service to the police attending to emergency services such as control room and closest patrol mobile.
♦The police will be able to respond quickly to reach the commuter by continuously tracing the movement of the vehicle on the geo-tagged map.
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath intoduced Mukhya Mantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana
- Uttar Pradesh (UP) Chief Minister (CM) Yogi Adityanath introduced the Mukhya Mantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana which aims to empower the girl child. If a girl child is born, that family will receive Rs 15,000.
- Under the community marriage scheme, the support amount to poor girls for marriage was increased from Rs 35,000 to Rs 50,000.
Business & Economy
- Indonesia and Vietnam lead SE Asia’s $100bn internet economy: 4th e-Conomy SEA report for 2019
- The 4th Edition of the report titled “e-Conomy SEA report 2019:Powering Southeast Asia’s $100 billion Internet economy” was jointly released by Google, Singapore investment company Temasek and American consultancy Bain & Company. As per the report, Indonesia and Vietnam led the SE (SouthEast) Asia’s $100bn internet economy becoming the fastest-growing digital economies in the region. Until 2018, this report was jointly published by Google and Temasek.
♦Southeast Asia’s internet economy is on course to reach US$100bn in 2019, a 39% increase from $72bn in 2018.
♦It is expected to triple in size to $300bn by 2025.
♦Indonesia’s internet economy is the largest in the region, estimated at $40 billion in 2019, is expected to reach $133 billion mark by 2025. Vietnam’s internet economy is forecast to reach $12 billion in 2019 and up to $43 billion in 2025.
- Indian Senior Team Win Bronze Medal at World Bridge Championships
- India’s senior bridge team led by DipakPoddar has won a bronze medal for the first time ever in the 44 years of the World Bridge Championships.
- This was announced by the Bridge Federation of India.
- The 44th World Bridge Championships was recently held in China.
- The senior Indian bridge team comprising captain DipakPoddar, JitendraSolani, SubhashDhakras, Ramamurthy Sridharan, SubrataSaha and Sukamal Das, won the bronze medal.
- Austria’s Christine Wolf wins the Hero Women’s Indian Open
- Austria’s Christine Wolf won the Hero Women’s Indian Open at the DLF Golf and Country Club course in Gurugram
- It was Christine’s first title after six years on the Ladies European Tour.
- Among the Indians AnikaVarma finished fifth and Tvesa Malik finished sixth
- India batsman, Rohit sharma attains career best 17th In ICC Test player rankings 2019
- As per the recently released MRF (Madras Rubber Factory)Tyres International Cricket Council (ICC) Men’s Test Player Rankings” as of October 7, 2019, Indian batsman Rohit Sharma, who became the first cricketer to score a century in both innings of his first test as an opener, reached a career-best 17th position . He jumped from the 54th position to the 17.
- Rohit, who now has five centuries in 28 Tests, jumped 36 places from 176 and 127 runs innings in the first Test against South Africa at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Other opener Mayank Agarwal gained 38 places after scoring a double century in the first innings to reach a career-best 25th rank.
- Captain Virat Kohli has retained his second position, though he has slipped below 900 mark for the first time since January 2018.
- India to host 3×3 basketball qualifying tournament for Tokyo Olympics in march 2020
- As per the world governing body of the basketball, FIBA (International Basketball Federation), India will host the Tokyo Olympic Games 3×3 basketball qualifying tournament in March 2020 with a total participation of 40 teams (20 male and 20 female teams). The location of the event will be announced later.
♦The competition will be organized under the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).
♦Six places (3 each in both women and men) will be awarded for the Olympic 2020 in the FIBA 3×3 Olympic qualifying tournament. This competition will make its Olympic debut in Tokyo where eight teams will participate in the women’s and men’s categories.
♦Apart from the host team, other teams will be selected based on the ranking of the FIBA 3×3 Federation and the result of the FIBA 3×3 World Cup.
Award & Honors
- IFS officer Ramesh Pandey selected for Asia Environmental Enforcement Award by UNEP
- Senior Indian Forest Service officer Ramesh Pandey has been selected for the prestigious Asia Environmental Enforcement Award by the United Nations Environment Programme.
- Pandey will receive the award on November 13 at the United Nations Conference Centre in Bangkok.
- The purpose of the Asia Environmental Enforcement Awards is to publicly recognise outstanding achievements by public organisations and individuals in Asia to combat transboundary environmental crime.
- Michelle Obama’s book “Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice” set to release
- Former First Lady of the United States of America, Michelle Obama‘s second book titled “Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice” is set to release on November 19, 2019. It is published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House. The journal will be published in more than 20 countries.
- It includes more than 150 inspiring questions and quotes that resonate with key themes in Mrs. Obama’s memoir.
- The Spanish edition of the memoir, entitled BECOMING: Un Diario Guiado, will be published by Plaza & Janes/Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial.
- Her first memoir titled “Becoming” (Crown Publishing Group) was released in November 2018.
Science, Space & Technology
- Saturn created a solar system record after the discovery of 20 new moons, surpassing Jupiter
- A team of researchers led by Carnegie’s Scott S. Sheppard from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) discovered 20 new moons orbiting Saturn, increasing its tally of moons to 82. It surpassed the number of moons orbiting Jupiter planet which stands at 79. This was announced by the International Astronomical Union’s (IAU) Minor Planet Center (MPC), France.
♦They were discovered using the Subaru telescope atop Mauna Kea in Hawaii (a state in the Pacific United States) and were about five kilometers in diameter.
♦17 moons were found orbiting the planet backwards, in a direction opposite to that of Saturn’s rotation around its axis while 3 moons orbited in the same direction as Saturn’s rotation, which is called prograde motion.
♦2 prograde moons were closer to Saturn, and took about 2 years to revolve around the planet and 1 prograde moon took more than 3 years to complete its path around Saturn.
♦1 of the newly discovered retrograde moons is the farthest known moon around Saturn.
- Indian Air Force celebrated 87th Air Force Day on october 8, 2019 in Uttar Pradesh
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) celebrated its 87th anniversary on Air Force Day at Hindon Air Base in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. Air Force Chief, Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria,Army Chief General BipinRawat and others were present during the event.
♦During the IAF parade, wing commander AbhinandanVarthaman who shot down Pakistan Air Force’s(PAF) F-16 aircraft during a dogfight in February 2019, led the aircraft group of three MiG-21 Bison aircraft flying in ‘avenger’ formation. Balakot heroes Group Captains SaumitraTamaskar and Hemant Kumar flew a Jaguar and a Mirage 2000, respectively.
♦Different squadrons involved in the Balakot airstrikes were awarded during the event. Abhinandan’s 51 Squadron was awarded unit citation by Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria. Squadrons awarded were Squadron Leader Minty Agarwal’s 601 Signal unit and number nine squadron.