- 2nd version of the India- Bangladesh Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) 2019 held in northern part of Bay of Bengal
- The 2nd edition of Indian Navy(IN) –Bangladesh Navy(BN) Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) 2019 has been held in Northern Bay of Bengal from October 10-11, 2019 with the participation of INS (Indian Naval Ship ) Ranvijay, a guided-missile destroyer and INS Kuthar, an indigenously built missile as well as BNS (Bangladesh Naval Ship) Ali Haider, a Type 053 frigate and BNS Shadinota, a Type 056 stealth guided missile corvette.
- This 2-day CORPAT will be followed by the maiden edition of bilateral exercise between the navies at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh from October 12 to 16, 2019, which would additionally embrace air familiarisation of Bangladesh Navy aircrew and a 10-day training exercise between Indian Navy Marine Commandos and BN SWADS (Special Warfare Diving and Salvage).
- The IN-BN CORPAT which commenced in 2018, is aimed toward upgrading to a bilateral train with the navies taking part in seamanship evolutions, flying workouts with integral helicopters and maritime patrol plane at sea.
- ‘India Sports Summit – Fitness: $10 Billion Opportunity’ held in New Delhi
- The ‘India Sports Summit- Fitness: $10 Billion Opportunity’ was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Sports & Youth Affairs Mr Kiren Rijiju in New Delhi. It was organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Union Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MYAS), Sportscom, and Sportskeeda.
♦The first India Sports Summit 2019 was also inaugurated at this event.
♦Aim: To achieve the objective of ‘Sports and Industry’ through various initiatives.
♦Honours: Indian shooter Heena Sidhu, Khelo India athletes Esow Alben (cycling) and Esha Singh (Shooting) were felicitated for their achievements.
♦ ‘Fit India’ mission office will be established with the help of the CII to achieve the goals.
♦India is striving to get Kabaddi a place in the Olympics in 2024.
♦Other members present: Sanjay Gupta, Chairman of the CII Sports Committee; Radheyshyam Julaniya, Sports secretary; Narinder Batra, President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOC); Parth Jindal, Managing Director of JSW Sports and former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag.
- Postpaid phone services to be restored in valley from Oct 14
- Jammu and Kashmir’s Principal Secretary (Planning Commission) announced that all postpaid mobile phone services in Jammu and Kashmir will be restored from October 14.
- All the postpaid telecom services were suspended in the valley since August 5 when the central government decided to remove Article 370.
- Earlier, the services were likely to resume on October 12 but due to some technical glitch services will be restored from October 14.
- Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched YSR Kanti Velugu Scheme 2019
- The Chief Minister (CM) of Andhra Pradesh YS Jagan Mohan Reddy of Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) launched YSR Kanti Velugu Scheme 2019 at Government Junior College for Boys in Anantapur district on the occasion of World Sight Day. It is a part of Fit India Movement.
- Under this scheme, the natives of Andhra can screen their eyes free of cost and spectacles will also be provided.
- The estimated cost is about Rs 560.88 crore.
- PM Modi gifts handwoven silk portrait to Xi Jinping
- A silk portrait created by Sri Ramalinga Sowdambigai Handloom Weavers Co-operative Society has given to Xi Jinping by PM Narendra Modi.
- Silk portrait art is an ancient craft of the area. Several generations of these weavers are making such portraits on silk clothes.
- Earlier, PM Modi gifted a Thanjavur painting of a dancing Saraswati and Nachiarkoil, a branched Annam lamp.
Banking & Finance
- RBI introduces new reporting system for co-operative banks- CISBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) came up with a new reporting system for all co-operative banks (urban, State & district central) called Central Information System for Banking Infrastructure (CISBI) in which they will submit information related to opening/ closing/ conversion of branches, offices, non-administratively independent offices (extension counters, satellite offices), and customer service points (ATMs- Automated Teller Machines) in a single proforma online.
♦Nodal unit: The Bank Branch Statistics Division (BBSD) in the Department of Statistics and Information Management (DSIM), Reserve Bank of India will be the nodal unit for CISBI.
♦Replacement: The newly launched CISBI portal has replaced the existing system of email-based reporting (master office file- MOF system) at the branches.
♦Timeframe: Information should be submitted immediately and in any case not later than one week, the information relating to opening, closure, merger, shifting and conversion of bank branches/offices/NAIOs/CSPs online through the CISBI portal.
♦Nil report: In the last week of every month, banks have to generate a ‘nil report’ in the CISBI for position as on the last day of the previous month. This is done to ensure correctness of data on the CISBI.
♦The system allots Basic Statistical Return (BSR) code / Authorised Dealer (AD) code to bank branches / offices / Non-Administratively Independent Offices (NAIOs) / Customer Service Points (CSPs).
Business & Economy
- Visa, Mastercard reject Facebook’s Libra digital currency plan
- Facebook’s Libra digital currency plan has recently witnessed a setback as Visa and Mastercard announced their departure from the project.
- Apart from these two payment giants, man other payment companies and supporters have decided to exit Libra.
- Facebook’s cryptocurrency Libra is facing criticism since it was launched. Visa officials said that it will re-examine the potential of Libra’s membership.
- India ranks 7th in Brand Finance Nation Brands 2019; USA tops
- An annual report on the most valuable and strongest nation brands named Brand Finance Nation Brands 2019 was released by Brand Finance in which India was ranked 7th from 9th rank of 2018 with 18.7% growth in brand value to $2,562 bn. The list was topped by the United States of America (USA) with 7.2% growth in brand value to $27,751 bn.
♦Developing economies grew 31.3 times faster in growth than the developed economies
♦Singapore emerged as the world’s strongest nation brand with the Brand Strength Index (BSI) score 90.5 out of 100.
♦Only India jumped to the 7th spot whereas no new countries made it to Top 10
Most valuable nation brands:
Rank Nation Brand value
1 USA $27,751 bn
2 China $19,486 bn
3 Germany $4,855 bn
4 Japan $4,533 bn
5 United Kingdom (UK) $3,851 bn
7 India $2,562 bn
- Eliud Kipchoge creates history by finishing a marathon under two hours
- It is for the first time when an athlete has completed a marathon in less than two hours. As per the media reports, he clocked 1hr 59min 40.2sec of time to finish the race.
- Eliud Kipchoge already holds the men’s world record for the distance with a time of 2hr 01min 39sec, which he made in the flat Berlin marathon on 16 September 2018.
- It was 42.195-kilometre (26.219-miles) of racing stretch that included a 4.3 kilometre-long straight alley.
- Sanju Samson hits fastest double ton
- Sanju Samson, Kerala wicketkeeper-batsman, has set a record of a scoring fastest double century in 50-over cricket.
- He scored 200 runs during Vijay Hazare Trophy against Goa. He scored 200 runs off 125 balls. Earlier, Shikhar Dhawan had taken 132 balls to score 200 runs.
- Sanju Samson scored an unbeaten 212 off 129 deliveries, including 21 fours and 10 sixes.
- American Olympic swimming champion Conor Dwyer announces retirement
- American competition swimmer and 2-time Olympic gold medalist, Conor James Dwyer (30) has announced his retirement after being handed 20-month doping ban for having testosterone in the form of pellets, surgically inserted into his body. His ban was made effective on December 21,2019 & he won’t be eligible for Tokyo Games 2020
♦He won U.S(United States) 4×200-meter freestyle relay team gold medals at the 2012 Summer Olympics. He was again part of the US 4 x 200 m freestyle team that won gold at the 2016 Olympics, and won bronze in the 200 m freestyle individual event in 2016.
♦He had failed a series of anti-doping tests (three times ) between November 15 and December 20, 2018.
- Sara Danius, swedish author and 1st female head of Nobel’s literature award body passes away
- Sara Danius, literature critic,author and the first female head of the prestigious Swedish Nobel’s literature award body, has passed away after having suffered from breast cancer for several years. She was 57.
- Born on 5 April 1962, Täby, Sweden, Danius served as the first female permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy from 2015 – 2018.
- She was a professor of aesthetics at Södertörn University in Stockholm ,Sweden and docent of literature at Uppsala University in Uppsala. She was asked to resign from her position and left the academy, established in 1786, on 12 April 2018 sex abuse and financial crime scandal that broke out in 2017.
- Danius published a book American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan in 2018 having played a key role in the decision to award the 2016 literature award to Dylan.
- World arthritis day observed on October 12, 2019
- World Arthritis Day was observed all over the world with the aim to create global awareness on issues affecting people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs). The theme of this day for 2019 is “Time2Work”. Arthritis is an inflammatory condition causing pain and stiffness in joints.
♦Observed since 1996, the day was started by the Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI).
♦European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR)’s campaign for World Arthritis Day 2019 is “Don’t Delay, Connect Today” , which aims to underscore that early diagnosis of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMD) and access to treatment can prevent further damage.