- In a first IRCTC has paid Rs 1.62L as a relief to 950 passengers
- Indian Railway is to pay around Rs 1.62 lakh to around 950 passengers for a delay of more than three hours in the running of Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express.
- This is the first time such an incident has happened in the history of Indian Railways.
- The cost to be paid by IRCTC to the railway subsidiary will be transferred through its insurance companies as compensation to the passengers.
- Delay: On 19 October, the Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express started from Lucknow at around 9.55 am instead.
- Government is to set up 1 lakh digital villages in the next few years
- The government is to set up one lakh digital village in the country in the next few years.
- The announcement was made by the Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology (MietY) Ravi Shankar Prasad at the MeitY Start-Up Summit 2019 in New Delhi.
- He presented Fintech and Digital Payment Awards to banks.
- He also launched MeitY Starting Hub- MSH and BHIM 2.0 and Indian Software Product Registry.
- Abu Dhabi archaeologists discovered the oldest known natural pearl in the world
- Abu Dhabi archaeologists discovered the oldest known natural pearl in the world while working at a Neolithic site on Marawah Island, the coast of Abu Dhabi.
- The Pearl is dubbed as the Abu Dhabi Pearl.
Abu Dhabi Pearl:
♦ The Pearl was found below layers that have been radiocarbon dated to 5,800-5,600 BCE, during the Neolithic period. The discovery of the oldest pearl is proof that pearls and oysters were being used in the UAE nearly 8,000 years ago.
- Japan to hire skilled people from Pakistan
- Japan has announced that the country is to hire skilled people from Pakistan. Japan will offer the people working visas to counter a growing decrease in its population.
- The announcement was made by the Japanese Ambassador Kuninori Matsuda.
- It also announced that Pakistan was one of the top 10 important countries from where Japan was planning to hire workers.
- Japan is to sign an MoU with the Pakistan government in the month of November or December.
Business & Economy
- These 20 Countries Will Dominate Global Growth in 2024
- Bloomberg, based on the data of the International Monetary Fund has named 20 Countries that Will Dominate Global Growth in 2024. China is on top with 28.3% while India is on second with 15.5% share in global growth.
- United States is on third with 9.2% share in global growth. The data are based on Purchasing Power Parity.
- The share of the remaining 17 countries in the growth is 21.5%. Some are: Indonesia, Russia, Brazil, Germany, Turkey, Japan and Egypt.
- PrithviSekhar wins gold in World Deaf Tennis Championship
- PrithviSekhar beat third seed JaroslavSmedek of the Czech Republic 6-4, 6-3 in the men’s final of the World Deaf tennis championship in Antalya, Turkey.
- It was a dominant performance from the 26-year-old Prithvi, who is trained in Chennai by coachSureshkumarSonachalam.
- Prithvi had also won the doubles bronze medal with PrashanthDasharathHarsambhavi.
- It has been a memorable season for Prithvi as he was part of the Indian Railways team which won the gold in the World Railways tennis championship in Albena, Bulgaria.
- 7th International Military World Games underway in Wuhan
- 7th International Military Sports Council Military World Games is underway in China’s Wuhan. 54 players form Indian armed forces contingent went to Wuhan to participate.
- More than 9000 soldiers are participating from over 100 countries.
Appointment & Resignation
- Indonesia’s President JokoWidodo sworn in for final term
- Indonesia’s President JokoWidodo has been sworn into office for his second and final five-year term.
- Widodo, popularly known as Jokowi, took oath at a ceremony in the capital, Jakarta, attended by politicians and foreign dignitaries.
- 76-year-old vice president Maruf Amin, who replaces Widodo’s vice president in his first term, JusufKalla.
- Indian Banks Association elects Rajnish Kumar as chairman
- SBI’s head Rajnish Kumar has been elected as the chairman of the banking industry lobby Indian Banks Association for fiscal 2019-20.
- The body, which represents banks’ interests with the government and regulators, said it has three top bankers from various lenders as its deputy chairmen.
- An official statement said these include Union Bank of India G RajkiranRai, S SMallikarjunaRao of Punjab National Bank and MadhavKalyan JP Morgan Chase Bank.
- ISSA elected Mostafa Salari as the member of the bureau
- International Social Security Association (ISSA) has elected Mostafa Salari, the Managing Director of Iran’s Social Security Organization (ISSO), has been elected as a member of the bureau of ISSA.
- The ISSA Bureau constitutes the administrative authority of the Association. The bureau composed of the President of the ISSA, the Treasurer, the Secretary-General, and elected members who represent the different geographical regions of the world.
Award & Honors
- Vice President presents ‘Most Eminent Senior Citizen Award’ to former Attorney General K Parasaran
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu today presented ‘Most Eminent Senior Citizen Award’ to legal luminary, scholar and former Attorney General of India, K. Parasaran at the India International Centre in New Delhi.
- Parasaran was honoured with the award on the occasion of the Elder’s Day celebration of Age Care India, an organization working for the welfare of the elderly.
- The 92-year-old Parasaran was honored for his exceptional contribution to the field of law and justice.
- Dutee Chand won the Vogue award for Sportsperson of the Year
- Odisha sprinter Dutee Chand won the Vogue award for Sportsperson of the Year 2019.
- Dutee Chand: Dutee Chand holds the national record in women’s 100m. She has brought many laurels to the country and state.
- In October, she clocked 11.22 seconds in the semi-final of women’s 100m event at the 59th National Open Athletics Championships 2019 in Ranchi.
- With this score, she broke the own previous national record of 11.26 seconds.
- Veteran writer K B Siddaiah passed away
- Sociopolitical philosopher and writer KB Siddaiah has passed away
- Siddaiah was one of the founder members of DalithaSangharshaSamithi (DSS) during the 80s and co-authoured many songs to inspire the movement.
- His works — Daklakatha Devi, Bakala, Anathma and Gallebani — were continental poetry which was difficult for readers in general to digest.
- World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed on 21 October
- World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed on 21 October. The aim of the Day is to create awareness of the adequate use of iodine among the people.
- The day also highlights the consequences of iodine deficiency. Recently, disorders caused due to iodine deficiency have become a major public health problem worldwide.
- It was observed that almost one-third of the world population is at the risk of iodine deficiency disorders.