- First national protocol to enumerate snow leopard population in India
- On the occasion of International Snow Leopard Day Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the first national protocol to enumerate the snow leopard population.
- The objective of this day is to conserve and protect the snow leopards and preserve the beautiful wildlife of the Himalayas.
- It is believed that India has 400 to 700 snow leopards across Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Ladakh.
- Cabinet agrees to hike MSP for Rabi crops
- The Union Cabinet has approved a plan to increase the minimum support price (MSP) for wheat by up to Rs 85 to Rs 1,925 per quintal
- This decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).
- It was also approved in the meeting that MSP for all Rabi Crops for 2019-20 will be increased. MSP for pulses has increased by up to 325 per quintal.
- Center Government to regularize unauthorized colonies in capital
- Hardeep Puri, Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, said that the union cabinet decided to regularize all unauthorized colonies located in Delhi.
- Union Minister stated that about 50 lakh people are living in these unauthorized colonies and government has decided to approve colonies for their betterment.
- Hardeep Singh Puri said that Delhi’s current population is more than 2 crore and more than 40 lakh people will be benefitted with this decision.
- Indian Railways to provide WiFi service inside trains
- The central government is planning to provide WiFi service inside trains in the next four to four-and-a-half years. The announcement was made by the Union Minister for Railways Piyush Goyal.
- The WiFi service is available at around 5150 railway stations in India. It plans to provide WiFi services at all 6,500 stations by the end of next year.
♦ Providing WiFi in running trains requires investment requires more complicated technology.
- Assam announced no government jobs for those with more than two kids from 2021
- Assam Cabinet has decided that no government jobs will be given to persons having more than two children after January 1, 2021.
- The cabinet also adopted a New Land Policy, which will give three bighas of agricultural land to landless indegenous people and half a bigha for constructing a house.These cannot be sold for 15 years
- The Cabinet meeting also decided to increase the bus fares in the state by 25 per cent,
- Karnataka approved Rs.667 crore for safe city project
- The Karnataka State Cabinet has approved Rs.667 crore for safe city project for women’s safety under the Nirbhaya Fund. The safe city project will be implemented in phases over three years.
- The approval comes after the release of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data for 2017, showing a rise in crimes against women across India.
Karnataka’s Safe City project:
♦ Under the project, 7,500 cameras are to be installed in Bengaluru.
- Fast-track Brexit deal by PM Boris Johnson rejected by British Parliament
- The British Parliament has rejected the idea of fast-track Brexit deal presented by PM Boris Johnson.
- The House of Commons voted against the short time-table but supported the Withdrawal Agreement Bill.
- Earlier, Brexit bill had cleared the first parliamentary hurdle with members of parliament backing it 329 votes to 299.
- The US Air Force receives its first anti drone laser weapon from Raytheon
- The US defense major, Raytheon delivered the first anti-drone weapon to the US Air Force. In 2018, the company introduced technology.
- The US Air Force received will deploy the weapon overseas for a year-long experiment.
- The Country will train operators on how to use the system while testing how effective it is in real-world conditions.
- The device will be used to prevent enemy drones from collecting information on military bases or to shoot down weapon-equipped unmanned aerial.
Banking & Finance
- IRDAI slaps Rs 1 cr fine on Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
- Insurance sector regulator IRDAI has imposed a fine of Rs. 1 crore on Cholamandalam MS GIC for violating health insurance regulations related to payment of commission.
- The authority imposes a penalty of Rs. 1 crore for violation of Clause 15 of schedule I of IRDA (Health Insurance) Regulations, 2013 which clearly specifies that no commission shall be payable to any intermediary on the acceptance of a ported policy
- The other penalty of Rs. 1 lakh pertained to motor insurance and was for “violating the outsourcing guidelines by agreeing to payment terms not in the interests of the insurer.
Business & Economy
- BSNL and MTNL revival plan approved by Govt
- The cabinet committee has approved the revival package for Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).
- As per the media reports, the government has approved a package of Rs. 14000 crore for the revival of BSNL and MTNL.
- About 22,000 employees are working in MTNL while about 163000 people are working with BSNL.
- IICA to conduct an online proficiency test for independent directors
- The government is to introduce an online proficiency self-assessment test for independent directors.
- Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) will conduct the test with effect from 1 December 2019. The announcement was made by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Aim: The test aims to ensure that independent directors are qualified for the task. The independent directors are expected to protect the interests of minority shareholders and monitor the governance of the company.
- 2024 Olympic Games logo unveiled in Paris
- Paris has unveiled a gold-medal-shaped emblem for the 2024 Olympics and Paralympic Games that incorporates the Olympic flame and the lips of Marianne
- The logo has been created as a combination of three symbols connected to the Olympics and France. It takes its shape and colour from a gold medal – awarded to the winners of each event during the Games.
- Cut out of this gold circle is a white flame-shape to represent the Olympic flame, which burns throughout the event, while a pair of golden lips represent Marianne – a representation of the Goddess of Liberty that is often used as a symbol of the French Republic.
- Graeme Smith and Tim May named honourary life members of MCC
- Former South Africa skipper Graeme Smith has been elected an Honorary Life Member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), custodians of the game’s law.
- The former batsman became South Africa’s youngest ever captain at 22
- Former Australian off-spinner Tim May was also awarded Honorary Life Membership in recognition of his outstanding achievements in cricket
- The pair follow Paul Collingwood, AB de Villiers, Mitchell Johnson and Adrian Morgan in being awarded Honorary Life Membership of MCC this year.
- India won 10 medals at 2019 Denmark Para Badminton International tournament
- Indian para-badminton players won the 2019 Denmark Para-Badminton International Tournament with a medal tally of 10 medals. India won gold medals in both the women’s and men’s singles in finals.
- Total Medal tally of India: Women’s Singles SL3 category: Parul Parmar – Gold Men’s Singles SL3 category: Manoj Sarkar – Gold Pramod Bhagat – Bronze Men’s Singles SL4 category: Sukant Kadam – Bronze Men’s Singles SS6 category: Krishna – Silver Suhas
Appointment & Resignation
- Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas appointed as next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Cabo Verde
- Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Cabo Verde, with residence in Dakar.
- Srinivas,a 1993 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Senegal
- Malik to be appointed as the new lieutenant governor of Jammu and Kashmir
- The Central government has proposed the Governor of Union Territory (UT) of J&K Satya Pal Malik as the new lieutenant governor of J&K.
- The announcement comes ahead of the transition of the state Jammu & Kashmir into Union territories of J&K and Ladakh on 31 October as per the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019.
- Upon confirmation, Satya Pal Malik will become the first Lieutenant Governor for both Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh.
Award & Honors
- OmniVision enters Guinness World Record for developing the smallest image sensor
- OmniVision, an advanced digital imaging solution, has secured the Guinness World Record for developing the smallest commercially available image sensor.
Smallest image sensor:
♦ The size of the smallest image sensor is roughly half a millimetre square
♦ The device can address challenges posed by reusable medical imaging equipment
♦ It is capable of offering a high-quality solution for disposable guidewires, catheters, and endoscopes
Science, Space & Technology
- IAF to sign with HAL for 83 Tejas LCA
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is to sign a deal with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) for acquiring 83 Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). The negotiations over the price of the fighter jets are almost done.
- In December 2017, the IAF issued a single-vendor tender to the HAL for procuring 83 LCA.
- The deal is yet to be signed. The delay is because negotiations that were held between IAF and HAL over the price of the aircraft. 83 Tejas LCA: The 83 Tejas LCA is of the Mark 1A variant.
- Russian navy discovered five new islands in the Arctic
- Russian navy discovered five new islands revealed by melting glaciers in Vize Bay off Novaya Zemlya, the remote Arctic.
- The expedition undertook by the Russian Navy in August and September charted the islands which were previously hidden under glaciers.
- The islands are yet to be named. These islands were glaciers previously. Melting, collapse, and change in temperature uncovered the islands.
- Glacier loss: The United Nations report on global warming said that from 2015 to 2019.