- Union Health Ministry to launch “Indradhanush 2” for covering low immunisation pockets
- Union Health Ministry will carry out massive immunisation program in 271 districts across the nation and 652 blocks located in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar from December 2 under the “Mission Indradhanush 2.0”.
- The “Mission Indradhanush 2.0” is slated to be launched by Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on October 31 falling on the silver jubilee of the Polio eradication campaign, but will come into implementation from December 2.
- The extensive immunisation program will cover children up to 2 years of age and all pregnant women.
- The two vaccines which are put under sub-vaccination level are for diseases like Japanese Encephalitis and Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine which occurs in high-end endemic areas.
- India Launches TechSagar Knowledge Repository For Businesses, Startups And Researchers
- To facilitate knowledge-sharing and holistic growth in the Indian tech industry for big corporations and startups, the National Cyber Security Coordinator’s office in partnership with Data Security Council of India (DSCI), launched a digital portal TechSagar.
- TechSagar is meant to act as a repository of over 4K businesses and research entities focusing on technology— IT industry, startups, academia and individual researchers.
- TechSagar is a consolidated and comprehensive source of India’s cyber tech capabilities which will provide insights across 25 technology areas such as internet of things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), blockchain, cloud, virtualisation, robotics, automation, AR or VR, wireless and networking, among others.
- Indian Army to conduct “SindhuSudarshan” exercise 2019
- The Indian Army is to conduct exercise codenamed “SindhuSudarshan” for the year 2019 in the deserts of Rajasthan from November 29 to December 4, 2019.
- The aim of this exercise is to evaluate the capability of the defence services in an integrated air-land battle.
- In the SindhuSudarshan exercise, operational efficiency of the Strike Corps fighting in the desert terrain will be assessed and the Indian Air Force(IAF) will provide support in terms of destruction of targets and airlifting troops.
- Cabinet approved administrative arrangement to cooperate in Railways
- The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi approved the administrative arrangement on Cooperation in the field of Railways between the Indian Ministry of Railways and the Directorate General for Mobility and Transport of the European Commission.
- It aims to strengthen the future technical exchanges and Cooperation.
♦ The arrangement will standardize and harmonized conformity assessment and procurement procedures for economic performance of Railways
- Chennai has fastest wirelinebroadband, Mumbai tops in mobile internet Speeds
- In a report by Ookla, Mean fixed broadband download speeds in India rose by 16.5 per cent during last two quarters
- Chennai and Mumbai have the fastest mean fixed broadband and mobile download speeds respectively, according to a new report by Ookla, the company which owns Speedtest.
- On comparing the fixed and mobile download speeds in the 15 largest cities in India, the reports shows Chennai had by far the fastest mean download speed over fixed broadband (51.07 Mbps), followed by Bengaluru (42.50 Mbps) and Hyderabad (41.68 Mbps). The slowest download speeds were measured in Nagpur (20.10 Mbps), followed by Pune (22.78 Mbps) and Kanpur (23.20 Mbps).
- Overall, mobile download speeds were relatively flat in India, fluctuating between 10.63 Mbps and 11.18 Mbps during April-September 2019.
Banking & Finance
- GeM Signs MoUWith Federal Bank For Payment Services
- The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Federal Bank to offer a number of services
- The services including transfer of funds through GeM Pool Accounts (GPA), advising of Performance Bank Guarantees (e-PBG) and Earnest Money Deposit (EMD) to the registered users on the portal.
- The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal and would create an efficient procurement system for government entities.
- GeM is also working with Banks, TReDs, and SIDBI to provide bill discounting and financing of working capital where the cost of capital is linked to the performance & rating of a seller on GeM.
Business & Economy
- National Crime Records Bureau releases data for 2017
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) released its 2017 data for crime in India.
- The data that was supposed to be published under the new sub-heads of mob lynching, murder by influential people, killing ordered by khappanchayats and murder committed for religious reasons.
- The data suggests that in 2017 itself, India registered over 50 lakh cases of cognisable offences, which, according to reports, is a 3.6 percent increase in the registration of cases as compared to 2016.
- Uttar Pradesh has been listed as the most unsafe for women, with the state registering the maximum number of cases – over 56,000 – of crimes against women in 2017. This comes at a time when a debate rages regarding the law and order situation in the state.
- NCRB has classified ‘crimes against women’ as ‘murder, rape, dowry death, suicide abatement, acid attack, cruelty against women and kidnapping’.
- The NCRB report states that as compared to 2016, there has been a 30 percent rise in incidents of offences against the state. Sedition, waging war against country and damage to public property are among the offences included under this category.
- India ranks 63rd in World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business 2020
- India has moved 14 places to be 63rd among 190 nations in the World Bank’s ease of doing business ranking. India was 77th among 190 countries in the previous ranking
- The ten top ranking countries were New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong SAR China, Denmark, Republic of Korea, United States, Georgia, United Kingdom, Norway, and Sweden
- Somalia ranks last position in the index
- The indicator measures the performance of countries across 10 different dimensions in the 12-month period ending May 1, 2019. The ten areas of study are defined as: starting a business, dealing with construction permits, getting electricity, registering property, getting credit, protecting minority investors, paying taxes, trading across borders, enforcing contracts, and resolving insolvency.
- AbhishekNayar retires from all forms of cricket
- Veteran Mumbai all-rounder AbhishekNayar has retired from all forms of cricket.
- Nayar represented India in only three ODIs under M.S. Dhoni in 2009.
- He played 103 first-class games and scored 5749 runs while taking 173 wickets
- Anandan won 2 gold medals at the 7th CISM World Military Games
- Para-athlete Anandan Gunasekaran won two gold medals in the disabled men’s 100m and 400m IT1 events at the 7th CISM World Military Games on 22 October at Wuhan, China.
- 100m IT1 event: Gunasekaran clocked 12.00 seconds in the 100m event.
- His win is India’s first medal in the ongoing Games. Peru’s Casas Jose clocked 12.65 and secured silver.
- Fajardo Pardo Teodicelo of Colombia won the bronze and clocked 12.72 seconds.
Appointment & Resignation
- DeepikaPadukone, PV Sindhu flag-bearers of PM’s ‘Bharat Ki Laxmi’ initiative
- Actor DeepikaPadukone and shuttler PV Sindhu were named the ambassadors for ‘Bharat Ki Laxmi’.
- An initiative by Prime Minister NarendraModi that aims at bringing commendable work done by women across the nation to light ahead of the Diwali festival.
- Braj Raj Sharma appointed as SSC Chairman
- The Central government has appointed Braj Raj Sharma as the Chairman of the Staff Selection Commission (SSC).
- He will replace Pankaj Kumar, who has been appointed as CEO of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
- Braj Raj Sharma position, as the Secretary Department of Border Management, will be replaced by Nagendra Nath Sinha, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) chairman.
Award & Honors
- Wipro selected as DJSI member for 10th consecutive year
- Wipro, an IT consulting and BPO company has been selected as a member o the global Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) – 2019 for the tenth year in succession.
- Launched in 2009, the S&P DJSI (World) is the gold standard for corporate sustainability. Inclusion in DJSI (World) index is based on a rigorous analysis of a company’s performance on more than 20 rimary indicators and 120 secondary indicators across a spectrum of economic, environmental, social and governance parameters.
- Homen Borgohain was awarded Sadin-Pratidins Lifetime Achievement Award
- Eminent writer Homen Borgohain was conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 6th edition of the Sadin-Pratidin Achievers Award 2019 on 23 October.
- Sadin-Pratidin Achievers Award: The Sadin-Pratidin Achievers Award is presented by the Guwahati-based media group Sadin-Pratidin group.
- The annual award recognizes the eminent person and luminaries who have excelled in their chosen area of activities ranging from literature to corporate and culture to sports.
- Nedumangad won the 2019 Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar award
- Kerala’s Nedumangad block panchayat won the prestigious Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar for 2019.
- A total of nine awards were given to Kerala civic bodies, including Kolazhy of Thrissur district, Tirunavaya, and Maranchery of Malappuram, Srikrishnapuram of Palakkad, Sasthankotta of Kollam and Pappinisseri of Kannur.
- The award recognized the good work provided by the panchayats at different levels, including the delivery of services and sanitation.
- White bellbird is the worlds loudest bird
- Researchers from the University of Massachusetts in the U.S. have found that the White Bellbirds are the loudest bird in the world.
- They also found that the mating songs by the white male bellbird cause sound of thrice the decibels (dB) than the Screaming Piha during the mating period. The screaming Piha held the record by making the loudest call of around 125 dB.
- White bellbird: The white bellbird or Procnia albus is a bird species in the family Cotingidae.
- United Nations Day
- 24 October has been celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948
- United Nations Day marks the anniversary of the UN Charter’s entry into force
- The United Nations was founded in 1945 to support collective action to realize peace, development and human rights for all.
- 75th anniversary of the United Nations will feature a large and inclusive global conversation on the role of global cooperation in building the future we want.
- The UN75 initiative seeks to spark dialogue and action on how we can build a better world despite the many challenges we face
- World Polio Day is celebrated on 24 October
- World Polio Day is celebrated on 24 October.
- The day aims to raise awareness and resources to support the polio eradication effort.
- On this day, Rotarians and other partners reach out to leaders and communities to engage them in the effort through various events, fundraisers, and social media campaigns to support a Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI).
- History: World Polio Day was established by the International Rotary club.
- The day aims to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk.