- Vispi Balaporia elected as first woman president of Asiatic Society of Mumbai
- Vispi Balaporia was appointed as the first woman president of the Asiatic Society of Mumbai in its over 200-year-old history.
- The 77-year-old was elected on August 31 to the top post of the society, which was set up in the early 1800s.
- The Asiatic Society was set up to promote useful knowledge. Its library contains a vast collection of books, of which 15,000 are classified as rare and valuable.
- It also has some rare artefacts and over 3,000 ancient manuscripts in Persian, Sanskrit and Prakrit.
- Vice President dedicates country’s longest electrified rail tunnel to nation
- Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the nation’s longest electrified rail tunnel on September 1, 2019.
- The longest electrified rail tunnel runs between Cherlopalli and Rapuru and the electrified railway line between Venkatachalam and Obulavaripalli. The total length of the rail tunnel is 6.6 kilometre.
- The Vice President also flagged off a new inter-city super fast express train between Guduru and Vijayawada.
- Speaking during the inauguration ceremony, Naidu stressed on the need to step up investment to strengthen and modernize infrastructure including in railways, airways, ports, inland waterways, rural roads, warehouses and cold storage units.
- September month to be celebrated as ‘RashtriyaPoshanMaah’
- The entire month of September beginning will be celebrated as the RashtriyaPoshanMaah.
- This year the theme is Complementary Feeding.
- Prime Minister’s Overreaching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment – POSHAN Abhiyaan is a multi- ministerial convergence mission with the vision to address malnutrition with a targeted approach by 2022.
- CGHS Bhawan inaugurated in Sector 13 of R K Puram in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the state-of-the-art Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) Bhawan in Sector 13 of R K Puram in New Delhi in the presence of Smt. Meenakshi Lekhi, Member of Parliament, New Delhi, Smt. Preeti Sudan, Secretary (Health), Shri Sanjeeva Kumar, Spl. Secretary (Health), Dr Atul Prakash, Director (CGHS), Dr Sanjay Jain, Addl Director-HQ (CGHS) along with other senior officers from the Ministry and CGHS. It is the Headquarters of CGHS and has the administrative section, the CGHS Card section, and a state-of-the-art modern and well equipped Wellness Centre.
♦Present status: CGHS services, started in 1954 from Government of India Market in Delhi, was expanded to only 25 cities till 2014. In the last 5 years (Till 2019), the Modi government has extended it to 71 cities.
♦Aim: CGHS services should be made available in 100 cities by 2022. Under Ayushman Bharat, 150000 Health and Wellness Centres are planned to come up by 2022.
♦Annual Health Check-up: The Minister unveiled a new scheme of Annual Health Check-up of CGHS beneficiaries who are pensioners of the age of 75 years and above.
- Election Commission of India launches “Electors Verification Programme” voter verification & authentication
- The election commission of India (ECI) has launched Electors Verification Programme(EVP), that seeks updation of electoral rolls through crowdsourcing. A special camp was held at the election commission’s headquarters in New Delhi, where National Voters’ Service Portal (NVSP) and Voter helpline app were unveiled by the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sunil Arora. The portal is https://www.nvsp.in/
♦Aim: Improvement of electoral rolls and betterment of the electoral services to the citizens thereby increasing communication between commission and citizens.
♦The programme which was launched at all India level with 32 Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of India will continue till october 15, 2019.
♦With this EVP voter can avail facilities like verification of voter details and authentication etc.
- First integrated battle group to be deployed along India-Pakistan border
- The Indian Army is set to deploy its first Integrated Battle Group (IBG) along the India-Pakistan border by the end of 2019.
- The Indian Army plans to form and deploy 11 -13 IBGs to protect its western and eastern borders. The announcement comes as tensions rise across the border on Kashmir issue.
- The Defence Ministry has cleared the reorganisation of IX Corps, based in Yol in Himachal Pradesh, to form the Integrated Battle Group to be deployed along the western border. This is one of the biggest reorganisations of the Army.
- The first Integrated Battle Groups are smaller in comparison to the regular fighting units of the Army Corps. The groups are also self-contained fighting units, including elements of air power, artillery and amour.
- Japan to launch special police unit to patrol isles in East China Sea
- Japan will soon launch a special police unit equipped with submachine guns and helicopters to patrol disputed isles in the East China Sea.
- The uninhabited islets are at the centre of the conflict between Japan and China, which is also involved in a widening dispute with several Southeast Asian countries over control of islands in the South China Sea.
- Japan has since long objected to China’s routine dispatch of coastguard ships to the waters surrounding the islands. The relations between the two countries deteriorated in 2012 when Japan nationalized some of the islets.
- The latest deployment near the tiny islands could take place early in 2020. It will be the first time that police step up patrols near the disputed islands.
Banking & Finance
- ECL Finance Ltd and Central Bank of India entered into an agreement to co-lend to MSMEs
- A leading Non-Banking Finance Company (NBFC) & a subsidiary of Edelweiss Financial Services, ECL Finance Limited and Central Bank of India (CBI) have entered into an agreement for priority sector lending to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
♦This is the first such partnership which was made following the announcement of a progressive co-origination policy issued by the RBI (Reserve Bank of India)in September 2018.
♦Under this agreement, businessmen will be given loans for various types of products, machinery, and other activities.
♦Many MSMEs are unable to take loans due to high-interest rates and lack of banking services. Under this partnership, loan facility will be provided to MSMEs working in more than 100 cities of the country.
♦With this innovative model of loan, MSMEs will be able to take advantage of loans at the cheap interest rate and this will help them to grow their business.
- Jasprit Bumrah becomes 3rd Indian to take hat-trick in Test cricket
- Jasprit Bumrah has created history by becoming the third Indian cricketer to take a hat-trick in Test cricket during India’s second Test against West Indies at Sabina Park.
- Bumrah made the record by taking the wickets of Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks and Roston Chase in three successive deliveries.
- Harbhajan Singh was the first Indian to pick up a hat-trick in Test, against Australia in Kolkata in 2001 and pacer Irfan Pathan was the second Indian to achieve the feat against Pakistan in Karachi in 2006.
- Charles Leclerc wins F1 Belgian GP, Hamilton takes second
- Charles Leclerc just held off Lewis Hamilton to win the Belgian Grand Prix from pole position, securing the first victory of his Formula One career and ending Ferrari’s long wait for a win.
- Hamilton was within one second of Leclerc on the final lap, but the 21-year-old from Monaco held his nerve.
- India’s SasikumarMukund Finishes Runner Up in Both Singles and Doubles at ATP Challenger Tour in China
- In Tennis, SasikumarMukund ended runner-up in both singles and doubles at ATP Challenger Tour, in Baotou, China.
- The 12th seed Mukund lost to Australian top seed James Duckworth 4-6 3-6 in the singles in the clay-court event of Challenger 80 category tournament.
- In the doubles, Mukund and Russian TeymurazGabashvili pair lost 6-7 (3) 2-6 to second seed Korean pair of Ji Sung Nam and Min-Kyu Song.
Appointment & Resignation
- Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala and 2 other states get new governors
- President Ram NathKovind announced the appointment of five new Governors in the states of Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Telangana.
- Prominent Muslim face and former Congress leader Arif Mohammed Khan has been appointed the new Kerala Governor, replacing P. Sathasivam.
- Tamil Nadu BJP president TamilisaiSoundararajan has been appointed as the Governor of Telangana, replacing E.S.L. Narasimhan.
- Kalraj Mishra, who was the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, has now been appointed as Governor of Rajasthan, where he replaces incumbent Kalyan Singh.
- BandaruDattatreya replaces Mishra in Himachal Pradesh.
- BJP leader from UttarakhandBhagat Singh Koshyari has been appointed the new Governor of Maharashtra, replacing VidyasagarRao.
- Gen. MukundNaravane takes charge as Vice Chief of the Army Staff
- Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen Manoj MukundNaravane has taken over as Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCAS)
- Lt Gen Naravane would be the senior-most officer when General BipinRawat finishes his tenure as Army Chief at the end of December.
- Gen Rawat is set to take over as the first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
- Naravane succeeds Lt. Gen. D. Anbu who retired from service on August 31
- Chief of the Army Staff – General BipinRawat.
- Lt Gen Anil Chouhan assumes charge as Eastern Army Commander
- Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan assumed charge as Army Commander, Eastern Command, at the Command Headquarters at Fort William in Kolkata.
- Chouhan is succeeding Lieutenant General Manoj MukundNaravane, who assumed charge of the vice chief of the Army.
- Previously, General Chouhan was appointed as the Director-General of Military Operations at Army Headquarter, New Delhi, since January 30, 2018.
- Manoj Mukund Naravane Takes Charge As VC Of Army Staff
- Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane took over as the new Vice chief of Army staff (VCOAS) replacing Lieutenant General Devraj Anbu who was superannuated on August 31, 2019.
- Awards: Naravane has been awarded Param Vishisht Seva Medal (2019), Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (2017), Sena Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal (2015) for his services.
- Naravane is expected to succeed Chief of Army Staff General Bipin Rawat who is se to retire by the end of December.
- Paytm Money promotes Pravin Jadhav as its MD and CEO
- Paytm Money has promoted Pravin Jadhav as its Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Prior to this, Jadhav was in the position of full-time director.
♦The company also plans to invest Rs 250 crore in the next 2 years as it is expected to start a new business including share bronzing, NPS(National Pension Scheme) in the financial year 20(FY 2019-20).
♦Praveen has made Paytm Money as the largest mutual fund investment platform in India. Prior to Paytm Money, he has worked with Rivify and Rediff.com.
♦Paytm Money is a wholly-owned subsidiary of One97 Communications, the company operating Paytm.
- “Fastest Woman On Four Wheels”, Jessi Combs passes away
- Jessi Combs popularly known by the nickname of “fastest woman on four wheels.” died in a car crash in an attempt to break a record. She was of 36 years.
- She was attempting to break the record of Women’s Land Speed Record of 512 mph (823 kph) set in 1976 by Kitty O’Neil.