- Masood Azhar, Masood Azhar declared terrorists under new law
- Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar have been declared ‘individual terrorists’ by the government.
- They were declared terrorist about a month after Parliament amended the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
- The newly amended act provides for putting a travel ban on individuals declared as terrorists.
- Central Government to invest Rs 25,000 crore in different sectors of fisheries in next 5 years
- With an aim to improve the fisheries sector, the Union government has plans to invest Rs. 25,000 crore in different sectors of fisheries in the next 5 years. It will help in the accomplishment of the goals of the ambitious Blue Revolution (Fisheries) project.
- Center has an aim to expand the scope of inland fisheries, increase productivity in aquaculture farms by monitoring disease, double the aquaculture productivity from 3 million tonnes at present to 6 million tonnes, implement traceability to double seafood exports in 5 years from around Rs 47,000 crore at present.
- Funds will be brought in from different schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Sampada Yojana (Matsya) and World Bank schemes which will be launched in 2020. Fishery infrastructure development fund has been started with Rs 7,300 crore.
- Health ministry proposes The Health Care Service Personnel and Clinical Establishments (Prohibition of Violence and Damage to Property) Bill, 2019
- In order to address the issue of violence faced by doctors and the damages caused to clinical establishment properties, the Union health ministry has decided to propose a legislation bill titled “The Health Care Service Personnel and Clinical Establishments (Prohibition of Violence and Damage to Property) Bill”, 2019, which provides 10yr imprisonment treating it as a non-bailable offence and fine of upto Rs.10 lakhs to a person assaulting doctor or other health care personnel.
♦The health ministry has also invited suggestions from public within 30 days of drafting the legislation.
♦Penalty: In case of committing violence, fine would be from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 5 lakh attracting jail term from 6months-3years. In case of grievous hurt then fine would range from Rs.2lakhs to Rs. 10 lakhs. Non-payment of compensation will be covered as arrears of land revenue under Revenue Recovery Act 1890.
- Cabinet of Delhi included OBC, general category students in ‘Jai Bheem Mukhyamantri Yojana’
- The cabinet of Delhi decided to include Other Backward Class (OBC) and General category students in its ‘Jai Bheem Mukhyamantri Yojana’ which was initially meant for the Scheduled Caste (SC) category students who were provided financial assistance of Rs 40,000.
♦It hiked the financial assistance from Rs 40,000 to Rs 1 lakh for coaching for various competitive exams.
♦A civil service aspirant will be provided Rs 1 lakh financial assistance for 12-month coaching and Rs 50,000 will be given for coaching for the entrance examination for other professional courses like MBA (Master of Business Administration), CLAT (Common Law Admission Test), etc.
♦11-month coaching will be provided with the financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh for the entrance examination for professional courses for students with science stream like engineering, NDA (National Defence Academy) and CDS (Combined Defence Service).
♦Delhi students belonging to SC, ST (Scheduled Tribe), OBC and EWS (Economically Weaker section) categories with total family income less than Rs 8 lakh per annum will be eligible for the scheme.
- “C-plan” app to aid community policing by UP police launched
- The Uttar Pradesh(UP) police have launched a new app name “C-app” in its new police headquarters at Lucknow, UP to aid community policing throughout the state whereby the police would be involved in tracking anti-social elements in time. This app helps at being informed about communal tensions and also in verifying the received information.
♦Aim: To bring down the crime rate and enhance police-public relationship with the help of technology.
♦Trial run: The project that involved 10 members known as Sambhrant-10 in each village to inform about disputes through the app, was run on a pilot basis during the 2019 Lok Sabha election. The information was monitored from old Director General of Police(DGP) headquarters(Lucknow). The app which now covers entire UP having 1.6lakh villages has selected 10lakh people to be engaged in the project.
♦App integration: The “C-app” is to be integrated with UP dial 100 service and the Sambhrant-10 will also have the facility to connect with police personnel in Police Response Vehicles(PRV).
- Delhi ranks 118th and Mumbai at 119th spot in EIU’s Global Liveability Index 2019
- the 2019 “Global Liveability Index” prepared by the Economist Intelligence Unit(EIU) has ranked Delhi at the 118th spot which is a drop by 6 places from 112th spot (biggest decline registered in Asia) in its previous report due to an increase in crime, poor air quality, and worsening climate conditions. Mumbai also dropped by two places to rank at 119th spot this year. The list was topped by Vienna, the capital of Austria for the second consecutive time whereas Damascus, the capital of Syria was ranked last becoming the least liveable city at 140th position. Russia’s St. Petersburg topped the list among BRICS nations at 71st spot.
♦Scores: While New Delhi was given a score of 56.3, Mumbai with 56.2, top-ranked Vienna scored 99.1 and least-ranked Damascus (Syria) got only 30.7 points.
♦Air quality: The World Health Organisation(WHO) has reported New Delhi in the 6th place for an annual mean concentration of fine particulate matter around the world in the 2018 Global Air Quality Index which also led to downgrading in its current liveable cities ranking.
1 Vienna (Austria)
2 Melbourne (Australia)
118 Delhi (India)
119 Mumbai (India)
136 Karachi (Pakistan)
137 Tripoli (Libya)
138 Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Banking & Finance
- Irdai sets up panel to revisit 3-yr old trade credit insurance guidelines
- Insurance regulator Irdai has decided to review its three-year old guidelines on trade credit insurance in line with the changing requirements of the market.
- Trade credit insurance policy provides coverage to supplier of goods and services against delay in payment or non-payments of trade credit.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has set up a nine-member working group headed by New India Assurance CMD AtulSahai with an aim to review March 2016 guidelines.
- The panel, which has been asked to submit its report in three-months, would study the need and scope for changes in the current guidelines keeping with the times and requirements of various segments of market.
- ESIC Signs Agreement With SBI For Payments To ESIC Beneficiaries on Real Time Basis
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation has partnered with State Bank of India for direct transfer of benefits electronically into bank accounts of all stakeholders.
- SBI will provide e-payment services directly to bank accounts of all ESIC beneficiaries and payees without any manual intervention as an integrated and automated process.
- The bank would provide e-payment integration with the enterprise resource planning processes of ESIC through its cash management product e-payment technology platform.
- The e-payment integration would effect statutory benefit payments to ESIC beneficiaries as well as other payees on real time basis, reducing time lags and delays and at the same time, help eliminate mistakes and errors caused by repetitive and manual data entries.
- Cabinet approves Rs 9,300 crore capital infusion in IDBI Bank
- The government has approved Rs. 9,300 crore fund infusion in IDBI Bankto help improve the bank’s capital base and turn it profitable
- Out of Rs 9,300 crore, the government will infuse Rs 4,557 crore, and Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) will invest Rs 4,743 crore.
- IDBI Bank’s gross bad loan ratio stood at 29.12% in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, the highest among all Indian banks
- The shareholding of the government was reduced to 46.46 per cent from 86 per cent while LIC stake in the bank increased to 51 per cent in January this year
Business & Economy
- CCEA approves ethanol price revision for supply to Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved revision of price of ethanol (ethyl alcohol) for the sugar season 2019-20 derived from various raw materials under the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) programme. The revision comes into effect from 1st December 2019 till 30th November 2020.
- Ethanol from C type heavy molasses has been increased to Rs.43.75/litre from Rs.43.46/litre.
- Ethanol from B type heavy molasses has been increased to Rs.54.27/litre from Rs.52.43/litre.
- Ethanol price from sugarcane juice/sugar/sugar syrup are to be fixed at Rs.59.48/litre.
- Goods and Service Tax(GST) and other Transportation charges will also be payable additionally and the price rate are to be fixed by Oil Marketing Companies(OMC)
♦Priority: Priority of ethanol by OMCs are to be given in the increasing order such as from sugarcane juice/sugar/sugar syrup, then B heavy molasses, then C heavy molasses and finally to damaged food grains/other sources.
♦EBP availability: The programme which is extended across india except Andaman Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands with effect from 1st April, 2019 is sold by OMCs blended 10% with petrol. The decision of implementing differential price of ethanol by the government has increased the ethanol procurement by OMCs from 38crore litre(2013-14) to 200crore litre in 2018-19.
- ISSF World Cup: Manu Bhaker-SaurabhChaudhary win gold as India finish on top in Rio
- India finished at the top of the ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol Championship in Rio De Janeiro held from August 26 to September 03, 2019.
- AbhishekVerma – 10 metre air pistol Men
- ElavenilValarivan – 10 metre air rifle Women
- Manu Bhaker and SaurabhChaudhary staged a remarkable comeback to claim the mixed 10m air pistol gold, ending India’s campaign on a rousing note in the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.
- Representing the other Indian team in the same event, YashaswiniDeswal and AbhishekVerma won the silver as India picked up the maximum possible medals on the final day of the tournament.
- World number one in women’s 10m air rifle, ApurviChandela, had earlier partnered Deepak Kumar to win India their fourth gold on the concluding day of the event. The pair won the top medal in the mixed air rifle event.
- AnjumMoudgil and Divyansh Singh Panwar, representing India 2, who won the previous two World Cup editions of the same event, won bronze.
- India finished the tournament at the top of the medals tally with five gold, two silver and two bronze.
- Logo for 2022 FIFA World Cup launched by Qatar
- The host city for 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar unveiled the logo for the same displaying it in public spaces in Doha and cities around the world. 2022 FIFA World Cup, which is the 22nd Edition, will be hosted by the Gulf Emirate. FIFA and the Qatari organizing committee launched the logo/emblem in Doha, capital of Qatar.
♦Design: The design is a stylised Arabic white unisex shawl with maroon patterning, which is displayed in a figure-of-eight symbolising infinity while creating a heart shape above the words “FIFA WORLD CUP Qatar 2022”. In its shape, the logo resembles the World Cup trophy.
♦Description of the logo: The swooping curves of the emblem represent the undulations of desert dunes and the unbroken loop depicts both the number eight – a reminder of the eight astonishing stadiums that will host matches – and the infinity symbol, reflecting the interconnected nature of the event
♦Inspiration: It was inspired by traditional woollen shawls worn during the winter months.
♦Appearances: The emblem appeared on buildings and giant screens in New York, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Mexico City, Johannesburg, London, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Madrid, Moscow, Mumbai, Seoul and 10 districts across Turkey.
♦Schedule: The tournament is scheduled to be held from November 21- December 18, 2022.
♦2026 FIFA World Cup: It will be hosted by 3 nations- Canada, Mexico and the United States (US).
Appointment & Resignation
- Congress appoints Kumari Selja as HPCC chief
- Congress appointed Rajya Sabha MP Kumari Selja as President of the state unit and also named former chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda as Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader.
- Selja will replace Ashok Tanwar as HPCC chief. Bhupinder Singh Hooda has also been given the responsibility of Chairman of the State Election Committee.
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda had also set up a 33-member committee which comprises 13 MLAs and other leaders. Haryana has a 90-member assembly which is scheduled to go to polls in October this year.
- CEC Sunil Arora becomes AWEB Chairman
- Sunil Arora (Chief Election Commissioner) assumed Chairmanship of Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) for the term 2019-21.
- Association of World Election Bodies is a multilateral platform for election management bodies from across the world to share best electoral practices.
- This organization was established in October 2013 and has been empowering democratic framework of member countries since then.
- Shri Jaideep Sarkar concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Lesotho
- According to the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India(GoI) Shri Jaideep Sarkar, a 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Lesotho, with residence in Pretoria. He succeeds Ms. Ruchi Ghanashyam.
♦He presently served as the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of South Africa.
♦He also worked in Indian Missions in Tokyo, Seoul, and Bangladesh as well.
- Venkaiah Naidu will release books ‘Loktantra Ke Swar (Khand 2)’ & ‘The Republican Ethic (Volume 2)’ on selected speeches of President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will release 2nd edition of ‘Loktantra Ke Swar (Khand 2)’ and ‘The Republican Ethic (Volume 2)’ on September 6, 2019, at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi. It will be released with the aim to promote and diffuse selected speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind, President of India.
♦Directorate of Publications Division under the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has published the book.
♦The books are a collection of 95 of his selected speeches delivered by the President in the second year of his office from July 2018 – July 2019.
♦They have been divided in 8 sections, viz ‘Addressing the Nation’, ‘Windows to the World’, ‘Educating India: Equipping India’, ‘Dharma of Public Service’, ‘Honouring our Sentinels’, ‘Spirit of the Constitution and Law’, ‘Acknowledging Excellence’ and ‘Mahatma Gandhi: Moral Exemplar, Guiding Light’.To mark the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, a separate section on President’s speech related to Gandhian world-view has also been covered.
♦Prakash Javadekar, Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Minister of Information and Broadcasting & Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment would be the Guests of Honour on the occasion.
♦The first edition of the books was released Shri Venkaiah Naidu on 8 Dec 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Former Kalahandi king of Odisha Udit Pratap Deo passed away
- Udit Pratap Deo, the Former king of Kalahandi which was a princely state of Odisha, but now a district, has passed away in a private hospital at the age of 71 on September 2, 2019.
- The former king was coronated as the 32nd king of Kalahandi in 2001. He served as a lawmaker in the Odisha assembly from Junagarh while serving the Swatantra party in 1974 and later joined BJP(Bharatiya Janata Party) along with his wife, queen Padma Manjari Devi.