- PM inaugurates Mumbai Metro’s first coach built under ‘Make in India’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first coach of Mumbai Metro built under the ‘Make in India’ programme.
- He took a tour of the new coach and the train with Maharashtra Chief Minister Fadnavis and Mumbai Metro officials
- I&B Ministry decides to discontinue single-use plastic
- Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has reportedly decided to do away with single-use plastic inside the premises of units under it and is encouraging staff members to turn to recycled paper.
- “Implementing a clean and green environmental initiative was the need of the hour which was a collective responsibility,” an official statement stated.
- A task force headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Mr Atanu Chakraborty set up to draw up National Infrastructure Pipeline of Rs 100 lakh crore
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman constituted a task force headed by Secretary of the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) Mr Atanu Chakraborty for drawing up National Infrastructure Pipeline of Rs 100 lakh crore ($1.4 trillion) from the fiscal year 2019-20 to 2024-25.
- Members: It includes the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NITI Aayog Mr Amitabh Kant or his nominee; Secretary, Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance or his nominee; Secretary of the Administrative Ministry; Additional Secretary (Investment), Department of Economic Affairs & Joint Secretary, Infrastructure Policy & Finance Division, DEA.
- Centre clears over Rs 5,000 crore worth Akash missile project for Air Force
- In a bid to strengthen the Indian Air Force (IAF), the central government has approved the procurement of 6 squadrons of indigenous Akash Air Defense missile for the Air Force at a cost of Rs 5,000 crore. They will be deployed along the borders with Pakistan and China.
♦With this approval, the number of Akash missile systems approved for the Air Force will be increased to 15.The air force had initially ordered only 2 Akash systems.
♦The approval of this 3-year-old proposal for the acquisition of Akash missiles is being seen as a whole hearted acceptance of the indigenous missile system in the military forces.
♦The Akash system was officially inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) in July 2015. In the exercise held at Surya Lanka, Andhra Pradesh in 2018, all other air defense missiles, including the Israeli ones, were tested with the Akash missile system and Akash had the best performance. Therefore, the Ministry of Defense chose Akash instead of foreign systems.
♦The Akash missile has also been selected by the Ministry of Defense over foreign systems as the government took out military tenders worth more than Rs 17,000 crore to favor the Akash.
♦The missile proposal for the Air Force has been approved in wake of the February 27, 2019, post-Balakot strike when Pakistanis have launched a counter-attack.
- 9th SLINEX 2019- Indo-Lanka maritime fleet exercise commenced
- The 9th edition of weeklong joint maritime naval exercise between India and Srilanka(SL) named SLINEX for the year 2019 has commenced in the port of Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. Two Sri Lanka Navy Ships(SLNS) namelySindurala and Suranimala that are offshore patrol vehicles left the Trincomalee port of Srilanka to participate in the exercise.
♦Exercise features: Wide ranging naval exercise to enhance cooperation in the Indian Ocean region and helicopter operations.
♦SL participants: At about 323 SL navy personnel are participating in the exercise including the SriLankan Flag Officer Commanding the Naval Fleet, Rear Admiral Upul De Silva.
♦Conclusion: The exercise will conclude on september 14, 2019.
♦Previous editions: The first SLINEX was held in the year 2005 and the the previous/8th edition took place in Trincomalee, Srilanka.
- J&K Global Investors Summit 2019 will be held at Ladakh
- J&K Global Investors Summit 2019 will be held in Ladakh which will provide the state an opportunity to showcase the immense potential for promoting local produce, especially White Seed Apricot.
- Partner: The Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) will be the national partner for the investor’s summit, which has signed an MoU(Memorandum of understanding) with Jammu and Kashmir Trade Promotion Organisation (JKTPO).
♦Capitals: Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer)
♦Governor: Satya Pal Malik
♦National Parks: City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park ,Dachigam National Park ,Hemis National Park ,Kishtwar National Park.
♦Lakes: Dal Lake , Wular lake, Gangabal Lake, Nigeen Lake
- Union Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurates food park of Telangana
- The Union Minister of food processing industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal, inaugurated the first Mega Food Park of Telangana that is promoted by Smart Agro Food Park at Lakkampally village, Nizamabad, Telangana.
♦Profit: A total of Rs 14,000 crore turnover is expected through this food park with 50,000 job generation and would also benefit 1 lakh farmers. During the inauguration, the farmers were informed about the Pradhan Mantri KisanSammanNidhi (PMKSN) Yojana that provides Rs 6000 per annum to the farmers.
♦Food park aim: The aim of the food park is to double farmers income by 2022 and to reduce harvest loss thus by overall contributing thr ‘Make in India’ initiative of the government.
♦Financial assistance: The food park is financially assisted by the government of upto ₹50 crore per Mega Food Park project with the Smart Agro Mega Food Park at a cost of Rs108.95 crores in 78acre land.
♦Park facilities: 5000 tonne warehouse for each raw material, and other laboratories.
- Overview of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh’s visit to Japan and South Korea
- The Defence Minister of India, Shri Rajnath Singh visited Japan and South Korea. He held a 5-day visit to the countries with an aim to strengthen military and defence from September 2-6, 2019.
- Mr Rajnath Singh invited the participation of Japanese companies and other stakeholders at biennial DefExpo 2020 to be held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh from February 5 -8, 2020.
- Japan-India-U.S trilateral maritime exercise “MALABAR 2019” will be held from late September to early October, 2019.
- The 8th Edition of Seoul Defence Dialogue 2019 was held with the theme “Building Peace Together: Challenges and Visions” in Seoul, South Korea. It is an annual international security forum hosted by the Ministry of National Defense of South Korea.
Banking & Finance
- RBI barred ESFB from opening new branches
- The apex bank of the country, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) barred the Equitas Small Finance Bank (ESFB) from opening new branches. The decision comes after ESFB missed the deadline to list its shares on stock exchanges
♦It also froze the salary of ESFB’s Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Vasudevan PN.
♦As per the RBI’s licensing conditions issued in November 2014, a small finance bank’s shares have to be mandatorily listed on the stock exchanges within 3 years of touching a net worth of Rs 500 crore & 3-year period of ESFB lapsed on September 4, 2019. It had received the license in July 2016.
♦RBI has warned ESFB that it may impose more restrictions if it fails to make “satisfactory progress” towards listing its shares.
Business & Economy
- CBSE ties up with Microsoft for capacity building of teachers
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has joined hands with American multinational technology company, Microsoft to incorporate cloud-based technology in high school teachers’ capacity building programs and teaching. This program, designed for teachers of 8th to 10th grade, will be run in 10 cities across India from September 11, 2019.
♦Under the program, at least 1,000 teachers nominated by CBSE will be given 3 days project-based training. During this period, they will be given practical and practical knowledge of Microsoft 365 programs like OneNote, FlipGrid, Teams, and Outlook, etc.
♦This initiative will help teachers and students to gain early education and skills in new technologies like Artificial intelligence(AI) and cloud so that they can become the pioneers of growth in a rapidly changing world.
- Cameroonian professional footballer Samuel Eto’o announces retirement
- Cameroon football legend Samuel Eto’o(38) has announced retirement from all forms of football.
♦Born on 10 March 1981 at Douala in Cameroon, he is regarded as one of the greatest African players of all time. In 1998, he was the youngest participant in the 1998 FIFA World Cup after making Cameroon’s team at the age of 17years and 3 months.
♦He went on to join Football club Barcelona in 2004, where he was able to win 2 Champions League titles, 4 La Liga titles, 2 Supercopa de Espana and 1 Copa del Rey. In 2010, he signed with Inter Milan, where he was able to win his 3rd Champions League title.
♦He was also voted African Player of the Year award four times (2003, 2004, 2005, and 2010), an honour for winning it for the most number of times that he shares with Ivorian midfielder Yaya Toure.
♦He was also the part of the Cameroon squad that won the Gold Medal at the 2000 Olympics& also won the Africa Cup of Nations titles in 2000 and 2002.
Appointment & Resignation
- Vinai Kumar Saxena, chief of KVIC gets 3 year extension
- With effect from September 5, 2019 the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) chairman Vinai Kumar Saxena was given an extension of another 3 years.
♦He was first appointed as the chairman of KVIC in October 2015 and introduced many innovative schemes like the ‘Honey Mission'(2017 in New Delhi) after the call of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Sweet Revolution’ in 2016, ‘KumhaarSashaktikaran Scheme’ and also the artisan development centre.
♦Achievements made: 33,000 New Model Charkhas, 6000 modern looms and 400 new Khadi institutions were created that generated 15,000 direct jobs with 1.15 lakh Bee-Boxes distribution.
Science, Space & Technology
- Chandrayaan-2 setback, India loses contact with Vikram lander during descent
- India’s space agency lost contact with the Vikram lander around 2.1 km over the lunar surface, in a setback to the country’s maiden attempt to land a spacecraft on the moon’s surface.
- As the lander began the 15 minute autonomous descent, it overcame a major hurdle of what is called as the rough breaking phase to go down from a height of 30 kms to around 2.1 kms.
- Soon after, the lander lost contact with the ground station.
- However, the orbiter, which has several instruments on board continues to hover around 100 kms over the moon.
- Former Pakistan cricketer Abdul Qadir passed away
- Pakistan’s former cricketer Abdul Qadir passed away at the age of 63 due to cardiac arrest. Born in Lahore, Pakistan on 15 September 1955, Qadir had played 67 Tests and 104 One Day Internationals (ODI) taking a total of 368 wickets representing his country.
- He also worked as a chief selector of Pakistan cricket squad in 2009 that won the International Cricket Council(ICC) World T20 (Twenty twenty) match in England the same year.