- SRB increased by 13 points in 4 years; Stood at 931 in 2018-19
- Women and Child Development and Textiles Minister Smriti Irani notified that the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) incresed by 13 points nationally since the implementation of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) programme from 918 in 2014-15 to 931 in 2018-19. These figures vary from the second Health Index Report released by NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog in June 2019 which showed decline in SRB in 12 out of 21 states between 2013-15 and 2014-16.
♦Reason for variance: The data compiled by the ministry was drawn from the Health Management Information System (HMIS) updated by Anganwadi and Asha workers, which considers home deliveries and births in government institutions only. It lacks information from private hospitals and institutions.
♦Data of Niti Aayog: It is based on the National Family Health Survey-4. It collected the information from household surveys too. As per the Aayog’s figures, based on sample registration data, in the 2014-2016 period, of the 21 large states, only 2 – Kerala and Chhattisgarh – had an SRB of above 950 girls per 1,000 boys.
♦Improvement: Haryana, Uttarakhand, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh were felicitated for improvement in SRB at a function in New Delhi by the minister Smriti Irani. Kameng District of Arunachal Pradesh has registered a sharp improvement in SRB from 807 in 2014-15 to 1039 in 2018-19. In Mahendragarh district of Haryana, the SRB had risen to 916 from below 800 mark in 2001. Tiruvallur District of Tamil Nadu recorded an impressive increase of 38 points in SRB from 925 to 963 in the last one year.
♦Awards: 10 districts selected for improvement in SRB- East Kameng (Arunachal Pradesh), Mahendragarh and Bhiwani (Haryana), Udham Singh Nagar (Uttarakhand), Namakkal (Tamil Nadu), Jalgaon (Maharashtra) Etawah (Uttar Pradesh), Raigarh (Chhattisgarh), Rewa (Madhya Pradesh) and Jodhpur (Rajasthan) were also felicitated during the programme. 10 districts selected for good work in awareness generation and outreach activities under BBBP were also felicitated- Tiruvallur (Tamil Nadu), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Mandi, Shimla, Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh) Kishtwar (J&K), Gadag (Karnataka), Wokha (Nagaland), Farrukhabad (Uttar Pradesh), and Nagaur (Rajasthan).
- Amit Shah chairs 68th Plenary session of the North Eastern Council 2019 in Guwahati, Assam
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah chaired the 2-day (8th & 9th September , 2019) event of 68th Plenary session of the North Eastern Council 2019 (NEC, a nodal agency for the economic and social development of the North East which consists of 8 states of the region) at the Assam Administrative Staff College in Guwahati, Assam.
- Governors and Chief Ministers of 8 northeastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland, and Sikkim) participated in the event.
- Shah reviewed the ongoing development projects in the Northeast. He stressed on preparing a roadmap to enhance the rich culture and heritage of the North East region. He also affirmed that the central government will not touch Article 371 which grants special provisions to the North East.
- President inaugurates 2-day National Youth Summit 2019 in New Delhi
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated the National Youth Summit 2019 held in New Delhi.
- It was organized by Youth Awakening Mission (a wing of Paavan Chintan Dhara Charitable Trust, Ghaziabad).
♦Speaking on the occasion, President stated that 800 million youths in India have immense talent and energy, which need to be properly developed and utilized. They are capable to take the country to new heights of progress and human civilization.
♦The 2-day summit will conclude at the ALT Center in Rajnagar, Ghaziabad on 8 September 2019. Defense Minister Rajnath Singh will be involved in this.
♦Paavan Chintan Dhara Charitable Trust devoted to the promotion and publicity of functional spirituality, service to the nation and knowledge of India, was founded on February 17, 2010, by Shriguru Pawan Ji. The organization has contributed in the sectors of education, personality development, environment, social equality,etc in the past 9 years.
♦Youth Awakening Mission (YAM) is the important project of this trust, whose aim is to inculcate confidence, will power, knowledge, and develop skills, logic, values, leadership qualities and patriotism among the youth between the ages of 18-40 years in India. Under it, youth are given training. The youth is also given a duty under the Rishikulshala project whose slogan is “Educate India Rebuild Nation”.
- Western Air Command Commanders’ conference 2019 held in New Delhi
- A two-day long Western Air Command, Commanders’ Conference 2019 was held on September 5-6, 2019 in New Delhi. Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa was the chief guest of the Conference.
♦Participants: Air Officers Commanding or Station Commanders of all Air Force Stations under Western Air Command participated in the conference.
♦Discussion: The Conference witnessed the discussions on critical analysis of operational preparedness and training including measures to promote high utility of combat assets.
♦Addressing the Commanders, BS Dhanoa asked IAF (Indian Air Force ) personnel to upkeep high level of operational orientation and preparedness to ensure the ground defense of the airbases against the backdrop of the existing security environment.
- Fun zone has been set up by the Railways at the Visakhapatnam Railway Station
- A fun zone, the first of its kind in India, has been set up by the Railways at the Visakhapatnam Railway Station, Andhra Pradesh. The Gaming zone was inaugurated at platform number 1.
♦The children can enjoy games during their waiting period for trains.
♦The gaming zone has different interesting games to children & adults.
About Indian Railways:
♦ Founded: May 8, 1845
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi
♦ Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal
- Hyderabad-Karnataka Regional Development Board renamed as Kalyana –Karnataka Regional Development Board by Karnataka government
- Law Minister of Karnataka, J C Madhuswamy informed that the Government of Karnataka has approved to rename the Hyderabad-Karnataka Regional Development Board (HKRDB) as Kalyana Karnataka Regional Development Board.
♦It was announced after the legislators and others from the region demanded to do away with the colonial-era nomenclature that associated the region with the erstwhile Nizams of Hyderabad.
♦The Hyderabad-Karnataka region enjoys special status under the Constitution (Article 371J) owing to its backwardness. It comprises 6 districts- Bidar, Bellary, Kalaburagi, Koppal, Raichur and Yadgir and 40 assembly constituencies.
♦State cabinet authorised Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa to form a panel to review the progress in the development of the Kalyana Karnataka region.
Banking & Finance
- RBI selects Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd for developing mobile app for visually impaired
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) selected Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd to develop a mobile phone based application for visually impaired people to identify currency notes. It informed the Bombay High Court that an internet connection would not be required for its proposed mobile application.
♦Out of the 16 vendors, 5 made into the final ranking to develop the application.
♦Intaglio printing based identification marks are present in the banknotes of Rs 100 and above denominations to help nearly 80 lakh blind or visually impaired people of India.
♦The proposed mobile app will help to identify the denomination of notes of Mahatma Gandhi Series and Mahatma Gandhi (New) series by capturing the image of the notes placed in front of mobile camera. It will generate “audio notification” intimating the currency note denomination to the user if image is captured correctly, else intimating the user to try again in case of image is not readable.
- Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Prothishtan (BKSP) successfully lifts U17 Girls Subroto Cup International Football 2019 title
- Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Prothishtan (BKSP) has successfully retained the 60th edition of the Under 17 Girls Subroto Cup International Football 2019 title by defeating Neelamani English School, Manipur with 4-0 scores in the final held in Ambedkar Stadium in New Delhi. BKSP won this title for the 3rd time in a row – 2017, 2018 and 2019.
♦Aklima Akhtar scored her second goal of the match & Shirina Akhtar and Sapna Rani scored one each for the winning BKSP to win the final to BKSP.
♦The prize money of the tournament was Rs.4,00,000 and the runner up (Neelamani English School )won Rs.2,50,000.
- Afghanistan’s all-rounder Mohammad Nabi to retire from test cricket
- Afghanistan’s all-rounder Mohammad Nabi, aged 34, will retire from test cricket after the conclusion of ongoing test match against Bangladesh. He has played only 2 test matches for Afghanistan (25 runs & 4 wickets).
- He played for Afghanistan for 18 years.
- He played 121 ODIs- One Day Internationals (2,699 runs & 128 wickets), 68 T20Is- Twenty20 Internationals (1,161 runs with a highest score of 89 & 69 wickets).
- In the ICC (International Cricket Council) Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019, he took 10 wickets in 9 matches.
Award & Honors
- Vedanta Resources chairman, Anil Agarwal honoured with a lifetime achievement award at 19th Annual Asian Achievers Awards 2019 held in London
- The founder and Chairman of Vedanta Resources Limited, Anil Agarwal (65) has been given the lifetime achievement award at the 19th Annual Asian Achievers Awards 2019 with the theme inclusivity at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel, on Park Lane.
♦London Deputy Mayor, Rajesh Agrawal has received the Editor’s Award 2109 for Public Services, while BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation ) News Economics Editor, Faisal Islam was selected for the media achievement award.
♦Novelist Jeffery Archer, whose skillful auctioneering helped to raise a £150,000 for chosen 2019’ s charity Yuva Unstoppable, a youth movement that works towards educating underprivileged children.
|1||Onkardeep Singh MBE||Achievement in Community Services|
|2||Dr. Nilesh U Patel MD||Editor’s Award for Contribution to Thoracic Surgery|
|3||Vipul Vadera||Businessperson of the Year|
|4||Kush Kanodia||Entrepreneur of the Year|
|5||Krishna Omkar||Professional of the Year|
|6||Harjit Singh Bhania||Sports Personality of the Year|
|7||Hafsa Qureshi||Uniformed, Civil and Public Services Neeta Patel Woman of the Year|
|8||Pradip Dhamecha||Editor’s Choice Award for Community service, Philanthropy and Entrepreneurship|
- Bollywood actor and renowned Kathak dancer Veeru Krishnan passed away
- Bollywood actor and renowned Kathak dancer Veeru Krishnan has passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- He worked in many films such as “Ishq”, “Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke” and “Raja Hindustani”. He mostly appeared in supporting roles in the films in the 1990s.
- Besides being an actor, he was also a famous kathak dancer. many Bollywood celebrities like Katrina Kaif, Athiya Shetty, Karanvir Bohra, and others were trained in Kathak by him.
- Well known lawyer and former Union minister Ram Jethmalani passed away
- Ram Jethmalani, Senior lawyer, and a former union law minister has passed away at his home in Delhi after suffering from prolonged illness. He was 95.
- Jethmalani was born on 14 September 1923 in Shikarpur, Sindh in the Sindh division of the then Bombay Presidency, now part of Pakistan. The partition led him to move to Mumbai. He earned an LL.B.( Bachelor of Law) degree from Bombay University with a first-class first at the young age of 17.
- He has worked as union law minister and in the National Democratic Alliance government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- International Literacy Day 2019 observed on September 8
- International Literacy Day (ILD) was observed on September 8, 2019 with the theme ‘Literacy and Multilingualism’. It highlights the importance of literacy or the ability to read and write for individuals, communities and societies.
♦ILD was declared by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on 26 October 1966 at 14th session of UNESCO’s General Conference & was celebrated for the first time in 1967.
♦The day is an opportunity to express solidarity with the celebrations of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages and the 25th anniversary of the World Conference on Special Needs Education, at which the Salamanca Statement on Inclusive Education was adopted.
♦The day was adopted as part of the UNSDG program in 2015.
♦The issue of literacy is a key component of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.