- Overview of Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi’s visit to Haryana
- Prime Minister (PM) of India, Shri Narendra Modi visited Haryana. He participated in BJP’s Vijay Sankalp Rally which marked the culmination of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar’s ‘Jan Ashirwad Yatra’.
- PM laid a foundation stone of Mega Food Park on September 8, 2019.
- Rs 179.75 crore project will be setup by Haryana State Co-operative Supply and Marketing Federation Limited (HAFED) at Industrial Model Township (IMT), Rohtak on National Highway-10, linking Delhi with Rohtak, Haryana.
- He laid the foundation stone to various development projects worth Rs 2,000 crore in Haryana.
- India has seen an improvement in overall life expectancy at birth to 69 years: SRS 2013-17
- According to the Sample Registration Survey (SRS) for 2013-17 released by the Registrar General of India, the overall life expectancy at birth in India improved to 69 years from 68.7 years in 2012-16.
- Men & Women life expectancy: As per SRS 2013-17, women are expected to live for 70.4 years and men for 67.8 years. In 2012-16, the life expectancy for women was 70.2 years and for men, it was 67.4 years
- Rural & urban life expectancy: Life expectancy for women was 73.70 years in urban centres and 69 in rural areas and for men, it was 71.20 years and 66.40 years respectively.
- 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue 2019 held in New Delhi
- Three day organised 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue(SED) was held in New Delhi from September 7-9, 2019 between India and China.
- The Indian delegation was led by Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman(VC) of National Institution of Transforming India Aayog(NITI).
- The dialogue was held among Joint Working Groups (JWG) on Infrastructure, Energy, High-Tech, Resource Conservation, Pharmaceuticals and Policy coordination.
- Telangana CM presents budget in legislative assembly
- The Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao has presented the annual budget for the year 2019-20. He downsized the budged to 1 lakh 46 thousand 492 crore rupees.
- K Chandrasekhar Rao government had to consider the financial crisis which is looming large around the country and forced to take practical decisions.
- He assured people in his hour-long budget speech that the government will make all-out efforts to fulfil the assurances given during elections.
- Justice Vikram Nath designated as the new Chief Justice of Gujarat HC
- The Department of Justice in the Union Law Ministry appointed Justice Vikram Nath as the new Gujarat High Court (HC) Chief Justice succeeding Justice Anant Surendraray Dave who was the acting chief justice of the Gujarat HC as Gujrat HC had been without a regular chief justice since November 2018 as the then Chief Justice R S Reddy was elevated to the Supreme Court (SC).
- Currently, he is posted as a judge in the Allahabad High Court. He has been appointed by clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India.
- In 1987, he practised in the Allahabad HC & was elevated as Additional Judge on 24 September, 2004 and took oath as permanent judge on 27 February 2006.
- Anupriya Lakra becomes first Woman Pilot from Odisha’s maoist-hit Malkangiri district
- Anupriya Lakra, aged 27, a tribal woman from Odisha’s Maoist-hit Malkangiri district (tribal area) has become the first female pilot from the backward region. She will join a private airline as a co-pilot.
- She completed her matriculation from a convent school in Malkangiri, higher secondary from a school in Semiliguda & joined the Pilot Training Institute in Bhubaneswar in 2012.
- Mumbai ranks 5th and New Delhi 11th in the 2019 Knight Frank Co-Living Index across Asia-Pacific, Beijing tops
- The Co-living index for the year 2019 titled “Insights on Co-living – An Asia-Pacific Perspective” across the Asia-Pacific region was released by London based consultancy agency Knight Frank. Among the Indian cities, Mumbai ranked at the 5th spot, New Delhi ranked at the 11th spot and the electronic city of India, Bengaluru ranked at the 19th spot in the index. The index was topped by Beijing (China) followed by Tokyo(Japan) and Shanghai(China) in the second and third position respectively.
♦Ranking factor: The index was made on 6 key attributes namely, Tech & Financial Hub, housing affordability, University population, venture capital deals & growth, quality of life and general population & human development index. It has covered twenty major Asia-Pacific cities.
2 Tokyo (Japan)
3 Shanghai (China)
5 Mumbai( Maharashtra, India)
11 New Delhi(Delhi, India)
19 Bengaluru (Karnataka, India)
Banking & Finance
- India Post Payments Bank Announces Rollout of Aadhaar Enabled Payment Services
- Any common person with a bank account linked to Aadhaar can perform basic banking services such as cash withdrawals and balance enquiry irrespective of the bank they hold their account with.
- A customer with an Aadhaar linked account can simply authenticate his/her identity with fingerprint scan & Aadhaar authentication to complete a transaction.
- IPPB has now become the single largest platform in the country for providing interoperable banking services to the customers of ANY BANK by leveraging the last mile unprecedented reach of the Postal network.
- ADB to provide USD 200 million loan to improve rural connectivity in Maharashtra
- The Government of India and The Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a USD 200 million loan to upgrade rural roads to all-weather standards in 34 districts of Maharashtra.
- Its objective is to improve road safety and better connect rural areas with markets and services. Road construction and repairing work will be started with the loan.
- ADB and GOI project will improve the condition of about 2,100 kilometres (km) of rural roads to all-weather standards. It will also provide climate resilience and safety features, connecting rural communities with productive agricultural areas and socio-economic centres.
- India announces $1 mln disaster relief aid for Bahamas as it is affected by Hurricane Dorian
- The Government of India (GoI) announced humanitarian assistance of $1 million as immediate disaster relief to help people in The Bahamas affected by Hurricane Dorian which has caused large scale destruction.
- The death toll is more than 40 and is likely to increase.
- Overview of US Open 2019 held at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York, United States
- US Open 2019, annual hard-court tennis competition, was held from August 26- September 8, 2019 at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, New York, United States (US) on 14 DecoTurf hard courts. It was the 139th edition of the tournament which was run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and was a part of the 2019 Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour and the 2019 Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Tour calendars under the Grand Slam category.
- It was the fourth and the last Grand Slam of 2019 hosted by the United States Tennis Association (USTA), other 3 being Australian Open, French Open & Wimbledon.
- The total prize money of the tournament was $57,238,700 where singles champions received $3,850,000 & doubles champions received $740,000.
♦List of Winners:
|Men’s Singles||Rafael Nadal (Spain)||Daniil Medvedev (Russia)|
|Women’s Singles||Bianca Andreescu (Canada)||Serena Williams (USA)|
|Men’s Doubles||Juan Sebastian Cabal & Robert Farah (Colombia)||Marcel Granollers (Spain)
& Horacio Zeballos (Argentina)
|Women’s Doubles||Elise Mertens (Belgium) & Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus)||Ashleigh Barty (Australia) & Victoria Azarenka (Belarus)|
|Mixed Doubles||Jamie Murray (Great Britain) & Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)||Michael Venus (New Zealand) & Chan Hao-ching (Chinese Taipei)|
♦Jamie Murray became the first man for almost 60 years to win 3 straight US Open mixed-doubles titles.
♦Sumit Nagal, aged 22, became the first Indian to win a set against Roger Federer. But, he lost the match by 6-4, 1-6, 2-6, 4-6 points. He became the fourth Indian to face Federer, after Leander Paes, Somdev Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna.
♦Rafael Nadal became the oldest tennis player since Rod Laver (Australia) in 1969 to reach all four Grand Slam semi-finals in a single season (2019). It was his 19th Grand Slam title and the 4th US Open title.
♦Bianca Andreescu, aged 19, was the first teen US Open semi-finalist in a decade. She became the first teen to win a Grand Slam title since Maria Sharapova captured the 2006 US Open and became the youngest US Open champion since Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova in 2004. She became the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam singles title.
- Charles Leclerc wins second successive F1 win through 2019 Italian Grand Prix
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc(Monaco) has won the 2019 Italian Grand Prix(formally known as Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d’Italia 2019) Formula 1(F1) race at Monza, Italy. This marks Ferrari’s first Italian Grand Prix win in 9 years (last win 2010) and also Charles’s second successive win in the F1 race after winning the maiden 2019 Belgian Grand Prix.
♦Charles was followed by Mercedes’s Valtteri Bottas(Finland) and Mercedes’s Lewis Hamilton(Britain) in the second and third place respectively.
- Brigid Kosgei of Kenya ran fastest half marathon ever by a woman in 2019 Great North Run in UK
- Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei created record in the 2019 Great North Run event held in the United Kingdom(UK) making the fastest half-marathon run ever by a woman by winning the event in 1hr 4min and 28 secs which is 23sec ahead of the 2017 world record set by Jocelyne Jepkosgei (Kenya).Britain’s Mo Farah, the 4-time Olympic champion(2012,2016), won the men’s elite race for a record sixth time in the event.
- Other winners:David Weir (Britain), the Paralympic wheelchair athlete won his 8th wheelchair title, while it is the second win for Jade Jones-Hall (UK) in the female wheelchair category.
Appointment & Resignation
- CoA of BCCI appoints a committee to run Bihar Cricket Association
- BCCI’s Committee of Administrators (CoA) has recently appointed a 3 member Independent Supervisory Committee to run the cricketing affairs of Bihar Cricket Association (BCA) and also conduct fresh elections.
- This committee will have powers to supervise, regulate and suspend the powers, duties and functioning of all post holders in the BCA. Also, it can appoint or replace electoral officer, ombudsman and ethics officer.
- This newly formed committee can appoint selectors, team officials and match officials and also assign auditors to investigate utilization of funds granted by the BCCI.
- Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman appointed as new Energy minister of Saudi Arabia
- Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman has been appointed as new Energy minister of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This post is generally considered as one of the most important positions in the government.
- Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman had earlier served as the Deputy and State Energy Minister for several years, he is the son of the King of Saudi Arabia.
- It is the first time when any member of the ruling Al Saud family has given the energy minister post in Saudi Arabia.
- Rajiv Kumar appointed as the new MD of Microsoft India (R&D)
- The American multinational technology company Microsoft has appointed Rajiv Kumar as the new Managing Director(MD) of Microsoft India Research & Development (R&D) Private Ltd (MIRPL). Kumar, who is currently corporate vice president of the company’s Experiences and Devices (E+D) group, succeeds Anil Bhansali and will be relocating to Redmond, United States(US).
♦Kumar’s key contributions are Kaizala (enterprise productivity chat app) & bootstrapping campus hiring programme in India.
- Book titled ‘Fortune Turners: The Quartet that spun India to glory’ on spin quartet written by Aditya Bhushan and Sachin Bajaj launched
- Book titled ‘Fortune Turners: The Quartet that spun India to glory’ on spin quartet written by Aditya Bhushan and Sachin Bajaj was launched in New Delhi. It is published by Global Cricket School.
- It reveals the careers of the famous four spinners of Indian cricket team- Bishan Singh Bedi, Erapalli Prasanna, Bhagwat Chandrashekhar, and S. Venkataraghavan, who dominated Indian bowling in the 1960s-70s and were instrumental in some of the team’s famous victories of the time.
- The launch ceremony was attended by former Indian cricketers Kapil Dev & Bishan Singh Bedi along with the authors.
- Senior Journalist Dilip Satpathy from Cuttack, Odisha passed away
- Senior journalist Dilip Satpathy, aged 56, from Cuttack, Odisha passed away. The bone marrow cancer had relapsed him 3 years ago.
- He started his career as a reporter in a city-based English daily and become the Resident Editor of the Bhubaneswar edition of Business Standard.
- He was also associated with journalism schools in Bhubaneswar.
- Himalaya day 2019 celebrated on September 9
- Himalaya Day 2019 was observed on September 9. It was celebrated in the Biotech Auditorium of the Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
- It was first celebrated in the year 2010.