- CBDT sets up NeAC & appoints Krishna Mohan Prasad as its first Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax of NeAC
- The Central Board of Direct Tax(CBDT) has newly set up National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC) for electronically assessing the tax returns which would reduce the human interventions thereby reducing the possibility of corruption. CBDT has also appointed 1984 batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Krishna Mohan Prasad as the first Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax(Pr.CCIT) of NeAC.
♦Cases for assessment will be assigned for 8 regional centres. They are New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru.
♦Mr. Prasad will be assisted by Ashish Abrol, newly appointed Commissioner of NeAC.
- Actor Govinda appointed as the brand ambassador of Madhya Pradesh to promote the state’s traditions and tourist places
- Public Relations Minister of Madhya Pradesh government PC Sharma notified that Indian Bollywood actor Govinda, aged 55, is appointed as the brand ambassador of Madhya Pradesh to promote the state’s traditions and tourist places.
- The government also has plans to set up a film city in the state.
- ECI announces election dates for Maharashtra and Haryana
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) announced that the schedule for elections in Maharashtra and Haryana will take place on 21 October 2019 and counting for both the states will happen on 24 October.
- The announcement was made by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sunil Arora.
- The model code of conduct (MCC) has come into effect immediately with the announcement of the schedule. MCC provides a level playing field in elections.
- Overview of EAM Dr S Jaishankar’s visit to Finland
- The External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India, Dr S Jaishankar made an official visit to Finland from 19-21 September, 2019. It was his first visit to Finland, after assuming charge as EAM.
♦He was received by Sauli Niinistö, President of the Republic of Finland.
♦He unveiled the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Helsinki, sculpted by Gautam Pal. It was gifted by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), Government of India to the Government of Finland to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Gandhiji.
♦He also met the Indian community in Finland; Visited the Finnish Institute of International Affairs (FIIA) and delivered a speech on “India and the World – Priorities of Indian Foreign Policy”.
♦EAM met Finnish Prime Minister Antti Rinne, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto and held talks with them.
♦He met his Finnish counterpart Pekka Haavisto and reviewed bilateral relationships between the countries.
♦He visited the Finnish Parliament and met First Deputy Speaker Tuula Haatainen and held discussions on gender equality and microfinance.
♦He met the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Finnish Parliament and held discussions on contemporary developments in Asia.
Banking & Finance
- Max Bupa and Indian Bank signed bancassurance corporate agency agreement
- A state-owned financial services company, Indian Bank has signed a bancassurance agreement with a standalone health insurance player, Max Bupa to provide Max bupa’s suite of health insurance products to its customers.
♦Services: Max Bupa’s comprehensive health insurance solutions and services will be available in Indian bank’s over 40 million customer base spread across its 2800 branch network.
♦Portfolio: The product portfolio comprises Max Bupa’s both retail & group health insurance products besides Indemnity and Fixed Benefit products.
♦Infinity: Max Bupa will equip proprietary digital platform, “ Infinity” that integrates with the bank’s systems, in which customers can purchase the health insurance product of their choice quickly and avail their policy documents at the Indian bank branch itself.
♦InstaInsure: In addition, Max Bupa will design digital seller application called “InstaInsure” that enable Indian bank to sell Max Bupa products through handheld devices in safe , secure and simplified manner. The relationship managers of the bank can use the app to outright the sale exercise, including the collection of payment electronically from customers.
♦Penetration: In South India, Indian Bank has a strong presence. Through this partnership, Max Bupa will deepen the penetration of its wide range of product offers and enable more customers to access their risk solutions anytime, anywhere.
- Zimbabwe’s batsman Hamilton Masakadza becomes the highest scorer in T20I by scoring 71 runs against Afghanistan
- Zimbabwe’s batsman Hamilton Masakadza created a record by becoming the highest scorer in Twenty-20 Internationals (T20I) by scoring 71 runs (42 balls) against Afghanistan at the match held in Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury (ZAC) Stadium, Chittagong, in south-eastern Bangladesh. It was his last match in international cricket.
- He is the 15th highest T20I run-scorer and the highest run-scorer for Zimbabwe (1,662 runs from 66 innings).
- He has played 38 Tests and 209 One Day Internationals (ODIs) for Zimbabwe scoring 2,223 runs and 5,658 runs respectively.
- His score of 93 is the second-highest score for Zimbabwe in T20I cricket.
- Ekaterinburg AIBA 2019 World Boxing Championships held in Ekaterinburg Expo, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- A Biennial event, Ekaterinburg AIBA (Association Internationale de Boxe Amateur or International Boxing Association) 2019 World Boxing Championships was held in Ekaterinburg Expo, Yekaterinburg, Russia from September 9-21, 2019. Indian boxers clinched 2 medals and it was for the first time that India had won 2 medals in the championships.
- Asian Games gold medallist Amit Panghal, aged 23, lost to Olympic champion Shokhobidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan by 0-5 in the 52kg category and settled for silver. With this, he became the first Indian male boxer to win a silver medal at the AIBA World Boxing Championships and the 5th Indian boxer to clinch a AIBA World Championships medal.
- India’s Manish Kaushik defeated top seed Andy Cruz Gomez from Cuba in the 63 kg category and secured bronze medal.
- 2021 AIBA World Boxing Championships will be held for the first time in New Delhi, India.
- Deepak Punia secures quota for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Indian wrestlers Deepak Punia won the World Wrestling Championships 2019 and secured his Olympics quota. Also, Rahul Aware reached the semi-finals of the ongoing tournament in their respective weight categories.
- Deepak defeated Carlos Arturo Izquierdo Mendez of Colombia in the quarter-finals. He became the fourth Indian wrestler to secure a berth for the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- Jitender also won bronze medallist Kotanoglu of Turkey 7-1 in the men’s 79kg freestyle category.
Appointment & Resignation
- IndiGo board appoints Pallavi Shardul as an independent director
- InterGlobe Aviation Limited operated IndiGo has appointed advocate Pallavi Shardul Shroff as independent woman director in the company.
- The appointment was approved by the board of directors of the airline.
- The appointment comes after the proposal initiated by IndiGo’s co-promoter Rakesh Gangwal who demanded the appointment of an independent woman director in the airline’s board.
- Pallavi Shardul Shroff: Shroff is a managing partner at law firm Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co.
Award & Honors
- Zoya Akhtar’s film ‘Gully Boy’ gets Oscar 2020 entry
- Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt starrer film ‘Gully Boy’ has been nominated for the Oscar 2020 Film Awards from India. Directed by Zoya Akhtar, the film has been sent for an Oscar for the Best International Feature Film category.
♦The story of the film was inspired by the life of rap artists, Naezy and Divine, who have come out of the narrow streets of Dharavi to realize their dream of becoming rappers. In February 2019, the film had earned ₹134 crore in domestic box office collections upon release.
♦The names of the films like Uri-The Surgical Strike, Kesari, Badhaai Ho, Article 15 and Andhadhun were being considered by India to be sent at the Oscars Awards. But now ‘Gully Boy’ has been finalized.
♦Gully Boy received the Best Film Award at the 10th edition of Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2019 at iconic Palais Theatre in Melbourne, Australia.
The 92nd Academy Awards ceremony:
♦It will be presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), will honor the best films of 2019 and will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US on February 9, 2020. During the ceremony, AMPAS will present Academy Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars) in 24 categories.
- Ladakhi Shondol dance ,the royal dance of Ladakh creates history by entering into the Guinness book of world records
- Shondol dance, which is best known as the royal dance used to be performed by artists for King of Ladakh, has created history by entering into the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest Ladakhi dance.
♦On the occasion of 4 days long (September 16- 20, 2019) annual Naropa Festival 2019 themed ‘Environmental sustainability of Ladakh and the Himalayan region’, as many as 408 women attired in traditional dresses and beautiful headgears performed the dance, which broke the previous record of 299 artists dance of Shondol in the 2018 festival.
♦The event was held on the concluding day of the ongoing Buddhist carnival Naropa festival near the Hemis Monastery in Ladakh & was organised by the Live to Love India, Drukpa Charitable Trust and Young Drukpa Association.
♦The festival focuses on end use of plastics & also sensitise the leaders of religious community on plastic waste management and recycling process.
♦Naropa Festival : Celebrated every 12th year of the Tibetan calendar, the Naropa festival, also known as the ‘Kumbh Mela of the Himalayas’ to celebrate the life of Buddhist philosopher and scholar Naropa. people from across the Himalayas celebrate the life of Naropa in their traditional ways with singing and cultural events.
- Sonu Nigam has been honoured with the Magnificent Performing Arts Award
- Sonu Nigam, the Popular Bollywood playback singer, was honoured with the Magnificent Performing Arts Award at the 21st Century Icon Awards in London. Nigam was among a host of winners across a range of categories at a gala awards ceremony held at the UK.
- 21st Century Icon Awards: The 21st Century Icon Awards is initiated by UK-based Indian-origin entrepreneurs and co-founders of Squared Watermelon Ltd. Tarun Ghulati and Preeti Rana.
- Senior TDP leader, Naramalli Shivprasad passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Senior Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader and former Chittoor Member of Parliament (MP), Naramalli Sivaprasad has passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu after suffering from kidney ailments. He was 68.
- Born on 11 July 1951, Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh (AP) , he won the 2009 and 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Chittoor Lok Sabha constituency. He also made a lot of efforts to demand special status for Andhra Pradesh.
- A doctor by profession, he has acted in movies like Pilla Zamindar, Thakita Thakita. He also worked as a minister in former AP Chief Minister(CM), Chandrababu Naidu’s cabinet.
- World Rhino Day 2019 observed on September 22
- World Rhino Day was observed on September 22, 2019. It is an international ecological observance to raise awareness on the protection of 5 existing species of rhinoceros- white rhino, black rhino, Indian rhino, Javan rhino and Sumatran rhino.
♦It was first observed in 2010 by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) South Africa.
♦Indian cricketer & brand ambassador for rhino protection in WWF India, Rohit Sharma had launched “Rohit4Rhinos campaign” in partnership with WWF India and Animal Planet (wildlife channel) to spread awareness about the need for conservation of one-horned rhinos.
- World rose day / Cancer free day observed on 22nd September, 2019
- World rose day is observed on all over the for the welfare of cancer patients who are battling cancer. The purpose of celebrating this day is to make cancer patients become strong enough to face the disease with spirit and will power.
- The day is observed in the memory of 12-year-old Melinda Rose from Canada, who when diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer called, Askin’s Tumour and did not give up hope.
- On this day, hand-made roses (a symbol of love, tenderness and concern), cards and gifts were provided to cancer patients. Special events were also organised to give strength to those suffering from cancer.
- Cancer : It is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body.