- Overview of New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy visit to India
- The governor of New Jersey Phil Murphy, paid a six-city tour to India from September 15-22, 2019 with focus on inviting companies to invest and create jobs. By this visit, Phil Murphy became the 1st governor of the US (United States) state to visit India. The six places visited were New Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, Hyderabad, Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad.
- New Jersey and Gujarat signed ‘sister state agreement’ MoU for cooperation in economic development, clean energy, higher education, tourism, cultural exchange, health and also trade-investment.
- Telangana and New jersey has signed a sister state agreement in Hyderabad, the capital of Telangana.
- The Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)- Gandhinagar signed MoU with 4 universities in New Jersey for collaboration in academia and research.
- Home Minister Amit Shah announced first ever “digital census” in 2021
- During the foundation stone laying ceremony for construction of new building of Registrar General of India, which conducts the census exercise, Union Minister of Home Affairs(MHA) Shri Amit Shah, announced to conduct first ever “digital census” in 2021. He also suggested a single multipurpose identity card i.e., one card facility for all utilities in the future.
♦The digital census is expected to have the potential in bringing all the cards like Aadhaar, passport, bank account, driving license etc. under a single platform. Rs. 12, 000 crores will be spent on preparation of National Population Register (NPR) and census 2021.
- Centre introduced a new scheme named ‘Assistance for Deep Sea Fishing’ for the fishermen in Tamil Nadu
- Union Minister for Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries Giriraj Singh notified that a new scheme named ‘Assistance for Deep Sea Fishing’ was introduced for fishermen in Tamil Nadu with an objective to make a ‘Blue Revolution’. Rs 300 crore was released for this scheme by the union government.
♦The total cost of the scheme is Rs 1600 crore. The share of the Central government is Rs 800 cr and Rs 320 cr will be borne by the state.
♦The government of Tamil Nadu will implement a deep sea fishing scheme in 4 districts of Palk Bay, including Ramanathapuram district which will prevent fishermen from crossing the IMBL (International Maritime Boundary Line).
Banking & Finance
- RBI sets timelines for reversal of failed electronic transactions
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a framework for turnaround time (TAT) for failed transactions and compensation for customers, saying this will bring in uniformity in processing of the failed transactions.
- The central bank also prescribed auto reversal timelines for failed transactions. In cases where a customer’s account has been debited but cash not dispensed from an automated teller machine (ATM), the bank will have to pro-actively reverse failed transactions within a maximum of T + 5 days or within five days of the failed transaction. Failing to reverse within five days will lead to the bank paying ₹100 per day to the account holder.
- In the case of point of sale (PoS) transactions and including cash at PoS, where account is debited but confirmation not received at merchant location or charge-slip not generated, the same five-day reversal period has been granted.
- For Immediate Payment System (IMPS) and Unified Payments Interface (UPI) transactions, the central bank has asked banks to reverse it within a day of the failed transaction.
- Failed transactions shall also include the credits which could not be effected to the beneficiary account on account of lack of full information or lack of proper information and delay in initiating a reversal transaction.
- Paisalo Digital inks co-origination of loan agreement with Bank of Maharashtra
- Paisalo Digital (Formerly known as S.E Investments Limited) has signed its second co-origination of loan agreement with major public sector bank in India, Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) with the aim to necessitate the joint contribution of credit flow by BoM and Paisalo Digital. The arrangement also involve sharing of risks & gains between them.
♦On August 12, 2019, Paisalo digital has signed the 1st co-origination loan agreement (designed at Rs.10,000 to 2 lakh) with State Bank of India (SBI) to pay out 200,000 loan applications in 2019 (FY-Fiscal Year 2020).
About Paisalo Digital:
♦ Managing Director: Sunil Agarwal
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi.
♦ It is a leading systemically important non-deposit taking NBFC(Non Banking Financial Company), registered with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and is in operations since the year1992.
♦ Objective : To ensure rural development, self-employment, and women-empowerment on small finances . It has AUM (Assets Under Management) of over 2000 crore and a net worth of Rs. 671.9 crore.
- Bharti Airtel & Bharti AXA Life Insurance tie up to offer pre-paid plan with insurance protection cover
- An Indian global telecommunications services company, Bharti Airtel has tied up with Bharti AXA Life Insurance, one of the best insurance companies in India to offer prepaid plan for its users along with insurance protection plan.
♦Special Plan & insurance cover: Airtel has brought a special prepaid plan of Rs 599, in which customers will get 2GB (gigabyte) data per day, unlimited calling and 100 SMS (Short Message Service) per day on any network, as well as a life insurance cover of Rs 4 lakh from Bharti AXA Life Insurance.
♦Validity: There will be a validity of 84 days on this recharge. After 3 months, this insurance cover will be automatically maintained on every recharge.
♦Eligibility: This plan of insurance cover with Airtel prepaid plans will be available for people between 18 and 54 years of age. For this, no paperwork is required nor medical certificate of any kind is needed. On the request of the customer, a copy of the insurance will also be delivered to the customer’s doorstep. Airtel has developed a special system for this, through which this entire process is completed within a few minutes.
♦At present, this prepaid plan of Airtel which provides insurance cover is available to customers of Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry circle and to be extended pan-India in a few months.
- Amit Panghal becomes first Indian male boxer to win World Championships silver
- Amit Panghal settled for silver medal at World Boxing Championships after he lost to Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov in the 52kg category final.
- He became the first Indian male pugilist to win a silver metal in World Championships.
- The second-seeded Panghal became the first Indian male boxer to finish second in the world event and the country achieved its best ever medal haul of two.
- Manish Kaushik (63kg) had signed off with a bronze earlier, after losing in the semifinals.
- World Wrestling Championships
- Rahul Aware wins a bronze in the 61kg category at the World Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Aware defeated USA’s Tyler Lee Graff, the 2017 Pan-America champion, 11-4 in the 61kg playoff.
- Rahul, originally a 57kg wrestler (Olympic category) went to the World Championships in the 61kg as he had put on some extra kilos in the past few months.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya clinching a bronze and a Tokyo quota in the 57kg category, Rahul’s entry to his original category ahead of the 2020 Games looks blocked.
- Both BajrangPunia and Ravi Dahiya have already qualified for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 by qualifying for the bronze medal round.
- Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore GP, Hamilton finishes fourth
- German racing driver, Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) has won the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix 2019.
- Charles Leclerc remained on second position while Max Verstappen was third. Lewis Hamilton is on fourth.
Appointment & Resignation
- Royal Bank of Scotland picks Alison Rose as its first woman CEO
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc promoted Alison Rose to chief executive officer, making her the first woman to run one of Britain’s big four lenders.
- Rose, the former head of British commercial and private banking at RBS.
- RBI approves the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as MD & CEO of Federal Bank for another year
- The apex bank of the country, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan, aged 57, as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Federal Bank for another year with effect from September 23, 2019 until September 22, 2020.
- With this, he will serve the bank as the head for a decade (September 23, 2010-September 22, 2020).
About Federal Bank:
♦ Headquarters: Aluva, Kochi, Kerala
♦ Tagline: Your perfect banking partner
Award & Honors
- Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Grand Prix
- Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has recently won Singapore Grand Prix 2.641 seconds ahead of teammate Charles Leclerc.
- It was Vettel’s fifth Grand Prix victory in Singapore. However, Max Verstappen of Red Bull team was third and Lewis Hamilton was fourth.
- Mercedes’ driver Valtteri Bottas finished fifth, Red Bull’s Alexander Albon sixth and Lando Norris finished seventh.
- NDTV’s Ravish Kumar awarded 1st Gauri Lankesh Memorial Award 2019 in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Ravish Kumar (44) of Motihari, Bihar , an Indian TV anchor, writer, journalist and the Managing Editor of NDTV India, the Hindi news channel of the NDTV (New Delhi Television Limited ) news network , has received the 1st Gauri Lankesh Memorial Award 2019 by the Gauri Lankesh Memorial Trust ( which is founded in memory of the journalist, Gauri Lankesh) in Bengaluru , Karnataka.
♦He was selected for this prestigious award in recognition of his sharp news analysis and uncompromising secular stance. On August 2, 2019, he was awarded 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award, regarded as the Asian version of the Nobel Prize.
♦A total of 3 books were launched at the Award giving ceremony, entitled ‘Delhi Nota’ by senior journalist D Umapathi, Ravish Kumar’s ‘Free Voices’ translated as ‘Maatige Enu Kadime’, and ‘Neera Nade’ by Prof Vinaya Okkunda.
- Roopa Pai’s “From Leeches to Slug Glue: 25 Explosive Ideas that Made (and Are Making) Modern Medicine” to be released
- A new book “From Leeches to Slug Glue: 25 Explosive Ideas that Made (and Are Making) Modern Medicine” that traces the origins of experiments and discoveries in science and medicine evolution spanning over 2,500 years and several geographies is to be released on September 28, 2019.
- The book is authored by Roopa Pai andwill be published by publisher Puffin Books.
- The book which has 25 chapters explores areas like vaccination, anaesthesia, X-rays and the germ theory etc.
- 2019 is hottest year ever: UN Report
- According to the latest report released by the United Nations (UN), 2019 is set to be the hottest year ever.
- Earlier, the UN had already declared past four years as the hottest since record-keeping began in 1850.
- The report was compiled by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). UN is hosting a climate summit where more than 60 world leaders will attend the summit.
- Former Indian test cricketer MadhavApte passed away at the age of 86 in Mumbai
- Former Indian test cricketer and opener MadhavApte passed away at the age of 86 in a hospital in Mumbai due to cardiac arrest. Born in Mumbai, Maharashtra as MadhavraoLaxmanraoApte in 1932, he had played 67 first class matches inclusive of 46 Ranji trophy matches for Mumbai and three for Bengalscoring 3336 runs with 6 centuries and 16 half centuries.
- Apte who played seven tests in the early 1950s scoring 542 runs, with a lone hundred and three fifties to his credit, also served as the President of the Cricket Club of India(CCI) for some years and the ‘Legends Club’ till his last breath.
- International Day of Sign Languages
- International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL) 2019 is being observed today across the globe with an objective to raise awareness of the importance of sign languages.
- The theme of Sign languages Day 2019 is – Sign Language Rights for All.
- Sign Language Day is observed across the globe with various events and celebrations. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, distributed awards to the winners of the Second Indian Sign Language Competition 2019.