- Private Security Agency Licensing Portal by Home Minister
- Private Security Agency Licensing Portal was launched by Home Minister Amit Shah on September 25, 2019 at a function in New Delhi. Amit Shah said that the portal will be available in all official languages such as Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Gujarati within three months.
- The portal will comprise the number of licensed agencies in the states so that people do not fall prey to the fake or fraudulent private security agencies. The portal will also assist people in cross-checking the police verification of each security guard.
- Currently, 90 per cent police stations are linked with computer and people can check the criminal records of the security guard they are deploying.
- India announces USD 12 million grant for developmental projects in Pacific Island nations
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced allocation of USD 12 million grant for high impact developmental projects in the Pacific Islands Developing States (PSIDS).
- The announcement was made after PM Modi met with the PSIDS leaders on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York. The leaders assured complete support to India from their respective governments.
- Besides this, an additional concessional Line of Credit worth 150 million USD was also announced. The credit line can be availed by the countries in the region for undertaking solar, renewable energy and climate-related projects.
- PM Modi stated that India was committed to battle impact of climate change and support the efforts by the PSIDS in achieving their developmental goals.
- Jitendra Singh launches CPGRAMS of Department of Posts in New Delhi
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh launched Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) of Department of Posts in New Delhi on September 25, 2019.
- The CPGRAMS is a web-enabled online system, which has been developed by NIC in association with Directorate of Public Grievance and Department of Reforms and Public Grievances.
- The system will enable submission of grievances by citizens from anywhere and anytime. The portal will also facilitate tracking of grievances through a unique system generated registration number.
- Assam Govt launches housing loan subsidy scheme
- The state government of Assam has launched a housing loan subsidy scheme to provide financial assistance for the purchase or construction of the first house for a family.
- The loan subsidy scheme- Aponar Apon Ghar was launched by Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on September 24, 2019 in Guwahati.
- The scheme is meant for the loan sanctioned in this financial year. Under the scheme, subsidy upto Rs 2, 50, 000 will be provided for loan amounts from Rs 5-40 lakh.
- J&K becomes first state to issue highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat scheme
- Jammu and Kashmir has become the first state in the country to issue highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat-PradhanMantri Jan ArogyaYojana (AB-PMJAY).
- Over 11 lakh golden cards have been generated within first 90 days of the launch of the scheme with 60% families having at least one golden card which is highest in the country.
- This was stated by Chief Executive Officer, State Health Agency, Bhupinder Kumar at a function in Jammu, organized to mark the first anniversary of the launch of Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana in the State.
- Under the scheme, 155 Hospitals including 126 public and 29 private hospitals have been empanelled to provide free and cashless treatment to the entitled beneficiaries while as per Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 6.30 lakh poor and vulnerable families of J&K are entitled for it.
- Actress Madhuri Dixit appointed as a goodwill ambassador for Maharashtra Assembly polls
- Maharashtra’s Chief Electoral Office appointed Indian actress Madhuri Dixit as a goodwill ambassador for Maharashtra Assembly polls to create awareness among people about the importance of voting which are scheduled to be held on October 21, 2019.
- She will be seen in a video titled ‘Let’s Vote’.
- 5th India International Science Festival to be held in Kolkata
- The 5th edition of India International Science Festival (IISF) 2019 will be held at Kolkata from 5th to 8th November, 2019.
- The Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan announced this at Press Conference in New Delhi
- “IISF 2019 will play a crucial role in promoting love and passion of science among students by bringing science outside the lab.
- The theme for this year’s festival is RISEN India – Research, Innovation, and Science Empowering the Nation.
- India International Science Festival (IISF) is an annual event organised jointly by science & technology- related Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha)
- The IISF 2019 is the fifth edition since its inception in 2015. The first and second IISF were held in New Delhi, the third in Chennai and the fourth IISF was held in Lucknow,
- Indian, Japanese and U.S. maritime forces to participate in exercise Malabar 2019
- The 23rd edition of the Trilateral Maritime Exercise MALABAR, is scheduled between the navies of India, Japan and USA from 26 Sep to 04 Oct 19 off the coast of Japan.
- Two frontline indigenously designed and built Indian Naval Ships, the Multipurpose Guided Missile Frigate Sahyadri and Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Corvette Kiltan, arrived at Sasebo, to participate in the Exercise.
- In addition to the ships, a ‘P8I’ Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft, also arrived in Japan for the Exercise
- MALABAR 2019 would endeavour to further strengthen India – Japan – US Naval cooperation and enhance interoperability, based on shared values and principles.
- The Exercise would encompass conduct of complex maritime operations in the surface, sub-surface and air domains, and focus on Anti-Submarine Warfare, Anti-Air and Anti-Surface Firings, Maritime Interdiction Operations (MIO) including Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS) and tactical scenario based Exercise at Sea
Banking & Finance
- ADB predicts Indian economy to grow 6.5 % in FY19, 7.2 % in FY20
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has revised its outlook (Asian Development Outlook 2019) for India’s economy with growth now expected at 6.5 per cent in fiscal year (FY) 2019 and 7.2 per cent in FY20
- In July, ADB had forecast 7 per cent growth for FY19 and 7.2 per cent in FY20.
- India’s fiscal year starts on April 1 and ends March 31 of the next calendar year
- Pine Labs and Federal Bank join hands to offer EMIs
- Merchant focussed company, Pine Labs announced that it has entered into a strategic alliance with Federal Bank to offer equated monthly instalments (EMIs) on debit card-based offline transactions to all the bank’s customers.
- The objective of this association is to provide affordability solution to debit card-holders of Federal Bank by way of POS-based EMI solutions.
- The tie-up focused on technology and analytics to deliver customer-centric digital services.
- Pine Labs currently offers credit and debit card EMI services in over 1.20 lakh stores across 85,000 merchants in India. It has created a network of 90 brands and 19 banking and financial institutions.
Business & Economy
- Infosys, TCS among 17 Indian firms in Forbes best ‘regarded’ companies list
- As many as 17 Indian companies, including Infosys, TCS and HDFC, have been named in the list of World’s Best Regarded Companies compiled by Forbes.
- IT major Infosys has been ranked third in the list of World’s Best Regarded Companies, along with global payments technology company Visa and Italian car-maker Ferrari on the first and second position, respectively.
- Infosys jumped to the third spot from 31st position in 2018.
- The other top ten companies in the list for 2019 are Netflix at the 4th position, followed by PayPal (5), Microsoft (6), Walt Disney (7), Toyota Motor (8), Mastercard (9), Costco Wholesale (10).
- Indian companies Tata Consultancy Services (22nd position) and Tata Motors (31) featured among the top 50 in the coveted list.
- Other Indian companies in the list include Tata Steel (105), Larsen & Toubro (115), Mahindra & Mahindra (117), HDFC (135), Bajaj Finserv (143), Piramal Enterprises (149), Steel Authority of India (153), HCL Technologies (155), Hindalco Industries (157), Wipro (168), HDFC Bank (204), Sun Pharma Industries (217), General Insurance Corporation Of India (224), ITC (231) and Asian Paints (248).
- Deepti Sharma becomes 1st Indian cricketer to bowl 3 maidens in T20Is
- Deepti Sharma created history on September 24, 2019 by becoming the first Indian cricketer to bowl 3 maiden overs in T20Is.
- Deepti Sharma ended with figures of 4/8 with three of the four overs maiden in India’s first T20I against South Africa in Surat. Sharma’s record bowling figures lead India to victory.
- This is the first-ever time than an Indian cricketer has bowled these many maidens in a T20I match.
- Manipur wins 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship 2019 in Arunachal Pradesh
- Defending champion Manipur won the 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship held at CHF Ground in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh by defeating Railways. This marks Manipur’s 20th championship title in the game.
♦Bala Devi of Manipur was the highest scorer in the tournament with 20 goals while Railways’ Sanju emerged as the Player of the tournament. Manipur goalkeeper PanthoiChanu was honoured with best goalkeeper award.
♦Organised by the All India Football Federation(AIFF),this is the first time Arunachal Pradesh hosted National Football Championship.
- ViratKohli, ShikharDhawan and Rohit Sharma move up in the latest ICC T20I player rankings
- The latest International Cricket Council- Twenty twenty International(ICC-T20I) rankings were released. The ranking details are as follows.
Indian cricketers position:
♦Batting rankings: Indian skipper ViratKohli moved up by one position to reach the 11th spot in the batting list and is currently in the 19th position in all-rounder rankings, while ShikarDhawan moved three places up to 13th position in the batting list. Rohit Sharma is ranked at the 8th position tied with England’s Alex Hales.
Rank T20I Batting rankings T20I Bowling rankings T20I all Rounder rankings
1 Babar Azam (Pakistan) Rashid Khan (Afghanistan) Glenn Maxwell (Australia)
2 Glenn Maxwell (Australia) ImadWasim (Pakistan) Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh)
3 Colin Munroe (NewZealand) Shadab Khan (Pakistan) Mohammad Nabi (Afghanistan)
8 Rohit Sharma (India)
11 ViratKohli (India)
13 ShikarDhawan (India)
Appointment & Resignation
- Sebastian Coe re-appointed as IAAF chief at the 52nd IAAF Congress in Doha, Qatar
- Britain’s Sebastian Coe was re-elected as the chief of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) for a second term. A former Olympic and world champion, Coe was previously elected as the head of IAAF in 2015.
- During his first term as the IAAF chief, Coe had set up Athletics Integrity Unit that serves as watchdog in cleaning sport corruptions.
Award & Honors
- Government institutes Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel unity award
- The Union Government has instituted Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel award, the highest civilian award in the field of contribution to the unity and integrity of India.
- The award will recognize notable and inspiring contributions to promote national unity and integrity and to reinforce the value of a strong and united India.
- The award will be officially announced on National Unity Day, on the occasion of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary on October 31. The award will be conferred by the President and it will comprise a medal and a citation.
- The award will not be given to more than three people in a year and it would also not be conferred posthumously except in very rare cases.
- Amitabh Bachchan selected for Dadasaheb Phalke award
- Veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan has been named for the prestigious Dada Sahab Phalke award for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
- The award is named after the father of Indian cinema, Dhundiraj Govind Phalke, and is considered the highest honour for an artiste in Indian cinema.
- The award was introduced by the Government of India to commemorate Dadasaheb Phalke’s contribution to Indian cinema in 1969
- The government honoured him with the Padma Shri in 1984, the Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2015 for his contributions to the arts.
- Pooja Desai from Vadodara crowned Mrs. India – Pride of Nation 2019
- Pooja Desai crowned as Mrs. India – Pride of Nation 2019 along with the subtitle of Mrs. India – Most Beautiful Hair.
- She was the only contestant from Vadodara and first one from Gujarat to win this title.
- The grand finale, organized by Glamour Gurgaon, was held at The Leela Ambience, Gurgaon
- The competition was judged by celebrities like Padmini Kolhapure and Nayani Dixit among others.
- This pageant was the vision of Barkha Nangia, Director of Glamour Gurgaon, to equip enterprising women with skills and opportunities to pursue their dreams even after marriage.
- Mukesh Ambani is the richest person in India with wealth of Rs 3.8 lakh crore: IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2019
- According to the IIFL (India Infoline Finance Limited) Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2019, Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) emerged as the richest person in India with wealth of Rs 3.8 lakh crore for the eighth straight year.
♦London based SP Hinduja and family (Rs 1.86 lakh crore), Wipro founder Azim Premji (Rs 1.17 lakh crore), LN Mittal, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of ArcelorMittal (Rs 1.07 lakh crore) secured the second, third and fourth positions respectively.
♦Ritesh Agarwal, aged 25, of Oyo Rooms with the net worth of Rs 7,500 crore is the youngest self made entrepreneur.
♦The wealthiest person under 40 years (age) is Divyank Turakhia (37) of Media.net.
♦Roshni Nadar (37) of HCL (Hindustan Computers Limited) technologies emerged as the richest woman followed by Smita V Crishna (68) of Godrej Group with a net worth of Rs 31,400 crore.
♦Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw of Biocon emerged as the richest self-made woman in India with a net worth of Rs 18,500 crore.
♦The list evaluated the wealth status of 953 individuals.
♦The list had entrants from 63 cities and Mumbai had the largest number of entrants with 246, followed by New Delhi (175) and Bengaluru (77).
- A 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg wins 2019 Right Livelihood Award
- Swedish teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg (16), has been awarded with Sweden’s Alternative Nobel Prize called “Right Livelihood Award 2019” for prompting and amplifying political demands, scientific facts for immediate climate action in Stockholm, Sweden.
♦She has shared the award with Brazilian Indigenous leader Davi Kopenawa of the Yanomami people, and the Hutukara Yanomami Association (Brazil), women’s rights lawyer Guo Jianmei (China) and human rights defender Aminatou Haidar (Western Sahara) .
♦Each awardee has received 1 million SEK- Swedish krona (94,000 EUR).
♦Thunberg lashed out at all the leaders of the world during her speech at the United Nations Summit at the United Nations (UN) in New York, United States (US) on september 23, 2019.
- UK mathematician Adam Harper wins the 2019 SASTRA Ramanujan prize
- Mathematician and assistant professor of the University of Warwick, England, Adam Harper, from the United Kingdom(UK) won the SASTRA Ramanujan prize for 2019.He will be awarded with a citation and an award of $10,000. The award is given to people under the age of 32 working in the area influenced by mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
♦The Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA)-Ramanujan award was first instituted in 2005 by SASTRA University. The previous awardees were Manjul Bhargava and AkshayVenkatesh where they later went on to win the Fields Medal awarded to mathematicians.
♦The award will be given every year on the birth anniversary of Ramanujam i.e. December 22, by SASTRA University.
- India’s former athlete PT Usha honoured with Vetran Pin by IAAF in 52nd IAAF Congress in Doha, Qatar
- Indian track and field former athlete PT Usha was presented with Veteran Pin by the world athletics governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF), in recognition of her contribution to the growth of sport. The award was given by IAAF chief Sebastian Coe at the 52nd IAAF Congress held in Doha, Qatar.
- Familiarly known as ‘Payyoli Express’ and ‘queen of track and field’, PT Usha was one among the three persons from Asia to receive the Veteran Pin.
- Roopa Pai’s “From Leeches to Slug Glue 25 Explosive Ideas that Made and Are Making Modern Medicine” to be released
- Indian journalist and children’s author Roopa Pai’s book titled From Leeches to Slug Glue: 25 Explosive Ideas that Made (and Are Making) Modern Medicine will be released on 28 September. The book is published by publisher Puffin Books.
- The book will trace the origins of path-breaking experiments and discoveries in the evolution of science and medicine spanning over 2,500 years and several geographies.
- The book also offers a view of how science and medicine have advanced through the ages, across continents.
- ‘Professor Ayushman’ comic book released by Ayush Ministry in New Delhi
- a new comic book series ‘Professor Ayushman’ conceived by the National Medicinal Plants Board(NMPB) was unveiled by the Ayush ministry in New Delhi. This book will raise awareness in children about the importance of medicinal plants and their usage.
- This book is available for free and could be bought by schools approaching NMPB.
- During the event the Ayush minister Shripad Yesso Naik announced the target set to operationalise 4,200 AYUSH Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs) under Ayushman Bharat(AB) scheme during 2019-20.
Science, Space & Technology
- ICGS ‘Varaha’ commissioned by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh formally commissioned the Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel ‘Varaha’ at the Chennai Port Trust.
- The ICGS Varaha, the fourth in the series of seven 98-m Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
- The ship will have on board 14 officers and 89 men
- The ship has been designed and built indigenously by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) at its Katupalli ship building yard in North Chennai.
- NASA successfully launches RamanSat 2, a miniature satellite made by Indian student Aabhaas Sikka
- An independent space agency of the United States(US) , NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has successfully launched a miniature satellite called “RamanSat 2” made by a 17-year old New Delhi-based Indian student Aabhaas Sikka , from NASA’s Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility in New Mexico, US and achieved an altitude of 38 km.
♦The mini satellite (measures 4 cm x 4 cm x 4 cm) designed by sikka during his internship with SPACE-India (an organisation working in the field of astronomy, space education and technology) with help from Sachin Bahmba, Founder and CMD (Chief Managing Director) of SPACE Group, as well as the SPACE-India’s research team.
♦With the help of its state-of-the-art equipment,the satellite measure the radiation from the sun and space to make space exploration safer for humans and satellites.
♦RamanSat 2 came after the success of Kalam Sat, named after former Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam, and made by an Indian high school team (Chennai, Tamil Nadu) that attended in 2017 in this same programme.
- World Pharmacists day observed on September 25, 2019
- World Pharmacists Day was observed all over the world.The aim of this day is to promote and spread awareness about the pharmacist’s (health professionals who practice in pharmacy)key role in improving health in every part of the world.The theme for the year 2019 is “Safe and effective medicines for all”.
- In 2009, the day was created by the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) Council at the World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Istanbul, Turkey.
- On this day (September 25) FIP came into existence in the year1912.
- On this occasion, Several programmes & activities were organised all over the globe to underscore the importance of Pharmacists and to make people understand about the crucial role they played in the medical world.