- Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister of Thailand Jurin Laksanawisit visited India for the 1st time
- The Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister of Thailand Mr Jurin Laksanawisit was on a first trade visit to Mumbai and Chennai, India to promote Thai products from September 25-28, 2019.
- Mr Jurin Laksanawisit launched the Agri-Trade Supply Chain Alliance (ATSCHA) which will ease the trade relations and increase trade commodity supply between the countries.
- Thailand and India signed agreements worth Rs 2,400 crore to boost trade ties in the field of rubber, construction material, food and beverages, logistics.
- DDWS, Jal Shakti Ministry and GoI launched the 10 Year Rural Sanitation Strategy (2019-2029)
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti, Government of India(GoI) launched 10 Year Rural Sanitation Strategy (2019-2029) to focus on sustaining the change in sanitation behaviour that has been achieved under Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G). This is done to dedicate the Swachh Bharat to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary by ensuring increase in access to solid and liquid waste management and also ensuring no one is left behind. ShriGajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of Jal Shakti, launched the strategy book.
♦Achievements: Since SBM-Gs launch in 2014, 10 crore toilets have been built in rural areas across the country and nearly 5.9 lakh villages, 699 districts, 35states and Union Territories(UT) were declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) by themselves. This strategy in planning for ODF Plus has been prepared by DDWS.
♦10-year strategy: With India seeing the sanitation revolution and SBM-G transformation to Jan Andolan (people’s movement), the 10-year strategy focuses on the need for States and UTs to continue their efforts to sustain the mission gains through capacity strengthening, IEC (Information, education and communication), organic waste management, plastic waste management, grey water management and black water management.
♦ The nirmalbharatabhiyan in 1999, which was a total Sanitation Campaign was restructured to form the Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) in 2014.
♦ The aim of this SBM-G is to make the nation ODF in 5 years from its implementation i.e, 2019 on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
- Telangana begins to celebrate the floral festival, Bathukamma for the year 2019
- Bathukamma , a 9-day wonderful festival of flowers celebrated by the women on a grand scale has commenced in the Warangal city of Telangana on September 28, 2019 & will conclude on October 6, 2019.
♦The festival is celebrated for the entire 9 days of Navratri (begins on the day of Mahalaya Amavasya and ends on Saddula Bathukamma festival on Durgashtami, two days before Dussehra).
♦In Navratri, Hindu deity Gauri Devi is worshiped as Batukamma idols, which is made up of flower stack.
♦The women pray to Batukamma, sing folklore and ask deity a boon of health, prosperity and happiness for her family. Bathukamma means a beautiful pile of flowers, which is decorated in various concentric layers with various unique seasonal flowers in the shape of the temple’s gopuram. Most of the flowers with medicinal properties are used in Bathukamma.
Banking & Finance
- Nepal Central Bank issued 3 coins bearing Sikh emblem to commemorate 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
- The Governor of Nepal’s Central Bank ‘Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB)’, Dr. Chiranjibi Nepal & Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri have jointly released three coins (100, 1000 and 2500 Nepali rupees) bearing the Sikh symbol to commemorate the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev. These coins will be available in the market from September 30, 2019.
♦A book titled “Sikh Heritage of Nepal” based on Sikh heritage of Nepal was also launched in the program. This book has been published by BP Koirala India-Nepal Foundation in association with the Indian Embassy in Nepal.
♦Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee President Sardar Gobind Singh Longowal, Jathedar of Akal Takht Giani Harpreet Singh and many other prominent Sikh leaders from Punjab were also present during this occasion.
Guru Nanak dev :
♦He was Nirguna Bhakti saint and social reformer was born at Nankana Sahib (formerly known as Rai Bhoi Di Talwandi) near Lahore,Pakistan in April 15, 1469. He was the first Sikh Guru and founder of Sikhism. The verses composed by him were collected in Adi Granth, written in Gurmukhi script.Guru Nanak Jayanti festival celebrates the birth of Guru Nanak.
♦He is said to have visited Balaju area on the outskirts of Kathmandu,Nepal five hundred years ago.
♦The 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev will be celebrated on 12 November, 2019.
Business & Economy
- Pilot Project for ushering in Industry 4.0 in the country is launched
- A Pilot Project for ushering in the Industry 4.0 in the country, is launched for implementation at the Modern Coach Factory (MCF), Raebareli.
- The Ministry of Railways and Department of Science & Technology have joined hands in partnership with IIT Kanpur for taking up a unique project on Industry 4.0 launching a Pilot Project for implementation at Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli.
- The launch ceremony exchange of Ideas between Railway Board (Member Rolling Stock), Shri Rajesh Agrawal.
- 2019 IWF World Weightlifting Championships held in Pattaya, Thailand
- 2019 International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) World Weightlifting Championships was held at Eastern National Sports Training Center in Pattaya, Thailand from September 18-27, 2019.
- It was organized by Thai Amateur Weightlifting Association and it was a qualifying event for the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- China topped the medal tally with 10 Gold, 5 Silver & 3 Bronze followed by North Korea and Armenia.
- Egypt was banned from competing due to doping offenses.
Award & Honors
- Venkaiah Naidu conferred Telugu poet K Siva Reddy with 28th Saraswati Samman award
- The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has honored the Telugu litterateur Dr. K Siva Reddy with the 28th Saraswati Samman for the creation of his famous poetry collection ‘Pakkaki Ottigilite’(Turning aside while lying down)in 2018 during an award giving ceremony organized by the KK Birla Foundation in New Delhi.
♦The selection council of KK Birla Samman, jury (Chayan Parishad), or selection committee, which includes renowned scholars and writers and was headed by constitutionalist Subhash Kashyap, selected Dr. Reddy, who has enriched Telugu literature through compositions of 23 poems.
About Saraswati Samman:
♦The prestigious Saraswati Samman instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation, is awarded every year for significant contribution in the field of literature related to any of the 22 languages of India included in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 15lakh, a citation and a plaque.
- Book “Game of Votes: Visual Media Politics and Elections in the Digital Era” penned by Farhat Basir Khan discovers the evolution of campaigning in Indian elections
- The seniormost faculty member at the AJK Mass Communication Research Centre at the Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi ), Farhat Basir Khan’s new book “Game of Votes: Visual Media Politics and Elections in the Digital Era” details the evolution of election campaigns in India. It has been published by SAGE Publication.
♦The book focusing key leaders of political parties & role of modern mass media platforms (beginning with the elections of the 1950s to the feverish social media-driven elections of the 21st century), and emergence of fake news that impacting poll result in India & across the world.
♦The book also discusses the practice political alliances, methodologies of electoral campaigning.
♦The preface of the book has been written by Former President Pranab Mukherjee.
Science, Space & Technology
- Astronomers detect a Jupiter-like planet named “GJ 3512 b”
- Astronomers unexpectedly discovered a gas giant Jupiter-like planet named “GJ 3512 b” which is orbiting a dwarf star, located about 30 light-years from the sun. The discovery was published in the journal Science and the lead author of the study is Juan Carlos Morales from the Institute of Space Studies of Catalonia, Spain.
♦The planet completes one orbit around the star every 7 months and has a mass about half that of Jupiter.
♦The red dwarf star has a mass about 12% of the sun.
♦It was detected using the radial velocity method with the CARMENES (Calar Alto high-Resolution search for M dwarfs with Exoearths with Near-infrared and optical Échelle Spectrographs).
♦According to current theories, this planet shouldn’t exist.
- Former foreign secretary K.P.S. Menon (junior) passes away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Former Foreign Secretary & a 1951 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, K P S Menon Jr.(junior) has passed away at his residence in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala due to age-related ailments. He was 90.
- He had served as the Foreign Secretary of India from 1987 to 1989.
- His father Kumara Padma Sivasankara Menon or K.P.S. Menon (Senior) was the first Foreign Secretary of independent India. Sivasankara Menon, nephew of KPS Menon Jr, is the foreign secretary and national security adviser.
- He worked as an ambassador to various countries, including Bangladesh, Egypt, Japan and China.
- World Heart Day 2019 observed on September 29
- World Heart Day (WHD) was observed on September 29, 2019. The day which is celebrated annually creates awareness on Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) including heart disease & stroke and highlights the preventive and control measures.
- It was initiated by the Geneva, Switzerland based World Heart Federation (WHF), in conjunction with the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1999.
- The idea was proposed by Antoni Bayés de Luna, the then president of WHF from 1997-99.
- There is an aim to reduce global mortality from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) like CVD which accounts for nearly half of all NCD deaths, by 25% by 2025.
- World Deaf Day 2019 observed on September 29
- World Deaf Day (WDD) which is usually observed every year on the last Sunday in the month of September, was observed on September 29, 2019. It creates awareness about the contributions of deaf people to society. The day was initiated by the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) headquartered in Helsinki, Finland. International Week of the Deaf (IWDeaf)
- This initiative of WFD was first launched in 1958 in Rome, Italy and is observed annually by the global Deaf Community in the last full week of September to commemorate the first World Congress of the WFD which was held in September. This year it was celebrated from September 23-29 under the theme “Sign Language Rights for All!“